Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I agree with you that not wanting your team to win is not an ideal mindset, but I think anyone who says it is taking a pragmatic view ie. 'A means to and end'. 

I guess that when I thought about for a minute I thought of several things more abhorrent than not liking the manager so much that you hoped if your team lose he might get the ass. 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I agree with you that not wanting your team to win is not an ideal mindset, but I think anyone who says it is taking a pragmatic view ie. 'A means to and end'. 

I guess that when I thought about for a minute I thought of several things more abhorrent than not liking the manager so much that you hoped if your team lose he might get the ass. 

It annoys me because those ideas/thought processes will be shared by not just a fan, but a player, or a member of staff, or someone with a vested interest.  

It's completely against sporting behaviour and ethics.  You should always do your best, regardless of any outside opinion/action or whatever.  As soon as you cross that line, enter that ring, step up to that tee - in professional sports - you must do your best. 

I know that the % chance of this being applied to anyone is very small - but it does happen.  It's an ugly side of any sport.  

All else aside, surely it's dependent on how we do tomorrow (both performance and result)?

Things were moving in the right direction, Wolves was a setback but we were never going to go the rest of the season undefeated so it was inevitable at some point, yes the manner of the performance was uninspiring but again, we weren't going to go the season without putting in another poor performance.

Bounce back tomorrow with a decent performance and a win and the picture will look far better again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Where is this weeks pre-match interview? 

Haven’t seen it but will this do ?

Players X and Y are back in training but it might be a bit early for X.

Players A And B are still some way off.

Player Z has a knock but should be ok.

Fulham are a good side, they playa certain way, and they will make it difficult for us. They are having a good run, but, hey, let’s remember we were unbeaten in 8 prior to last week.

Things had picked up but now we’ve got to dust ourselves down and go again. There is still a long way to go and I hope, I hope, that we’ve now got that little bit of quality and resilience that will get us there or thereabouts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

All else aside, surely it's dependent on how we do tomorrow (both performance and result)?

Things were moving in the right direction, Wolves was a setback but we were never going to go the rest of the season undefeated so it was inevitable at some point, yes the manner of the performance was uninspiring but again, we weren't going to go the season without putting in another poor performance.

Bounce back tomorrow with a decent performance and a win and the picture will look far better again.

Zzzzzzzzzz

dream on

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Confused 1

I’m astonished there are still people who refer to poor performances as if they are the exception.

I watch Home and Away and have  only seen us play well all across the team and for close to 90 minutes three times in a year.

And those were only decent, not exceptional, performances.

For me I gave up hoping for decent performances ( other than defensively) a long while ago.

I will settle for results. 

If possible.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

So you’ve lost patience with Bruce?

Er....Not exactly as you put it.

I would let him have this season and see where it takes us....no more money in Jan, this squad should be good enough to go up.

There are and have been for too long, flaws in our play that I genuinely felt would be ironed out in time.....its evident that is not the case......the same problems just drift along from match to match win, lose or draw.....they are still there.

I think every manager deserves a fair crack of the whip and deserves the time to get the players to work to his way of thinking.....that takes varying lengths of time depending on many factors......I am beginning to feel enough time has now been allocated.

I still feel changing managers now is not right for both managers.....SB needs to be given the chance to finish the season.....an new manager deserves a window and a pre-season, the games come too fast and the pressure of promotion is not fair on a new guy.

We need to see this season through, but the hierarchy, need to be preparing contingency plans for the summer.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

From that our excuse is the international break when we lose badly

Regarding The injuries to Jedi & Grealish the season started 3/4 months ago but according to him the season starts now.

What is it Steve?

So if the very good sides (like us & Fulham) are gonna be there or thereabouts are the rest shyte then Steve? where will they all finish? above or below us?

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’m astonished there are still people who refer to poor performances as if they are the exception.

I watch Home and Away and have  only seen us play well all across the team and for close to 90 minutes three times in a year.

And those were only decent, not exceptional, performances.

For me I gave up hoping for decent performances ( other than defensively) a long while ago.

I will settle for results. 

If possible.

Sadly, its where I am......Results only.

The content of our play is quite depressing to be honest ,so I tend to dismiss it, not saying that is right....but prepared to let him finish the season off.

27 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Fulham are a good side, they playa certain way, and they will make it difficult for us. They are having a good run, but, hey, let’s remember we were unbeaten in 8 prior to last week.

Things had picked up but now we’ve got to dust ourselves down and go again. There is still a long way to go and I hope, I hope, that we’ve now got that little bit of quality and resilience that will get us there or thereabouts.

It is a bit predictable, i must admit.....its getting a bit like all the previous managers.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/unfortunately-for-villa-fans-no-the-verdict-on-steve-bruce-and-his-aston-villa-promotion-credentials/

Aston Villa currently sit in seventh place in the Sky Bet Championship table, having amassed 19 points from 12 league games.

Their excellent run of form came to a halt last weekend as they were downed 2-0 by local rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molineux.

There is so much expectation at Villa Park to see the club get back to the Premier League, after an abysmal campaign in the Championship last season.

But, can Steve Bruce actually deliver the Villans promotion?

The writers here at FLW issue their verdicts….

Chris Gallagher

Unfortunately for Villa fans, no.

The defeat against Wolves showed how far they are away from the top sides and the only current top-half side they’ve beaten are Norwich. Even then, the Canaries were struggling badly at the time.

Essentially, you could argue Bruce’s men are flat-track bullies. That will keep you in the mix for the top six, but not the top two. And, how do you win the play-offs if you can’t beat the good sides?

The manager needs to change things.

George Dagless

Absolutely.

Some Villa fans are still not content with the former Birmingham manager and his sometimes cautious approach, but I wonder if he’ll ever win everyone around anyway – no matter what he does?

He’s certainly got the experience and knowhow to get Villa promoted this season and I would expect them to challenge right to the end, despite their loss to Wolves last weekend.

Alfie Burns

He has more experience in the Championship than most, but I don’t believe he can deliver promotion at Villa Park.

I believe that the expectation of Aston Villa’s supporters is too much for Bruce, which is why his side have struggled to make a major impact in the Championship.

There is a feel of desperation at Villa Park, and sadly, I just can’t see them getting promoted.

Highlighted the bits which highlight how I think alot of us feel.

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

I'm quite taken with the "winter is upon us" theme he's developed.  Not quite as full of foreboding as "winter is coming".

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is he implying that the fact Bruce used to manage SHA is affecting our opinion of him? Seems to be with "the former Birmingham manager" reference. Totally BS,.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Is he implying that the fact Bruce used to manage SHA is affecting our opinion of him? Seems to be with "the former Birmingham manager" reference. Totally BS,.

Well that's just 1 of the 3 opinions in the article innit.

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

International break has come at the wrong time.

People expect us to go out at VP and roll over teams but this will be a tough one, no easy games in the Championship.

Expectations need to be toned down.

People think I have had millions but I haven't.

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A couple of points about that.

`former Birmingham manager' - what about Sunderland, Hull, etc., other teams that he has managed. Thoughtless journalism.

And I have never known the expectations of Villa fans to be so low. If they don't know anything about the club just don't write anything.

A pointless article.

• Like 2

Â