Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

We all know his CV and that's what you're basing your feelings on but he's fell short so far and we all hope he gets it right. The thing is none of us know we can only hope he does. He has to improve our position. We are still short of where we need to be this season so so far he's underachieved. Let's hope we can start beating the teams that are going to be in contention as so fat this season in the big games we haven't done it. We've still had more poor performances than good I just hope we've turned the corner. I'd look up what hope means next time if I was you. If id put blind faith you may have had a point. 

Cheers for the advice :)

Hope is just wanting Bruce to do well and I'd like to think we all want that. My missus could take over as manager though and I'd hope she would do a great job but I would have zero confidence in it, even with me advising her. Wouldn't stop me hoping though.

I'd think most of those who back Bruce do so based on way more than hoping he does well. They will base it on his CV but as I said in one of my previous posts they will also take into account that over his 46 games we have taken 71 points a handful less than needed for top 6. This after inheriting a club with a losers mentality. More recently our form has been very good. Best in the division in fact.

So no I don't believe those who back him just do so out of hope. They do so based on his CV prior to joining us, his overall record whilst he has been here, taking into account the mess he inherited, and take into account our most recent form.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I'm not arguing against that, but we run the risk of leaving ourselves wide open.

keep it tight, quieten the crowd, catch them on the counter.....job done.

No one will want to lose this.

ps ....do you dash over a minefield or strategically plot your course?

Depends if you can see the mines or not .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm not arguing against that, but we run the risk of leaving ourselves wide open.

keep it tight, quieten the crowd, catch them on the counter.....job done.

No one will want to lose this.

ps ....do you dash over a minefield or strategically plot your course?

Tell Micah there is a Harrod's gift card on the other side, then follow him.

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

t. My missus could take over as manager though and I'd hope she would do a great job but I would have zero confidence in it, even with me advising her

Come on Mark I think you’ll find that that’s above your pay grade......:D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

It may sound illogical but I can understand that 100%, see those points you‘ve made thus see the logic and reason behind your pov.

So get this, if Bruce gets such equally reasoned polar opposites within a fan base (that obviously want the same thing - whats best for the club) then he can‘t be „the one that suits the club“.

I understood the appointment because we needed someone specific to our needs at the time. A sure thing choice he was never going to be (imho) As 40+ games have been and gone, I‘ve seen enough to want him gone. Blandy posts that he was against the appointment and even though he doesnt appear to be impressed with our „limited style“ he is excepting the needs of the club to keep him. (roughly stated)

I suppose we all just cant have the perfect „it‘s what I want“, we‘re just getting someone who is doing a job to a certain degree.

If we go back up under Bruce's managemebt and, in 10 years time we are established in the top four of the Premier League, there will be no doubting that Villa fans will be ever thankful to Steve Bruce for turning us around. Regardless of his playing style or signings etc, promotion is all that matters for our football club. 

11 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am obviously not certain we have turned a corner.

What I do know is that when Bruce arrived we were still going backwards. He stopped that and then the task was to get us going forwards. I think that has taken longer than he and others at the club initially thought it would but as Wyness stated in March the club was in way worse shape than any of them initially thought and every draw they opened contained a problem.

We do now have some forward momentum. 8 without defeat, 4 wins on the spin, some very decent performances in that run, plenty of grit and determination and visibly the players looks like they are more confident than I have seen players in our shirt for a long time and they look like they believe.

I agree we should go to Wolves on Saturday looking for the 3 points. We need to continue with the same positive approach and go with a 4-4-2. That doesn't mean we will win the game as Wolves are a decent side but we certainly need to go out with that intent.

Regardless what happens with Bruce my posts won't haunt me though mate. I have been wrong plenty of times about managers and players. The beauty is though someone else comes in and you then look forward and for a time at least you can believe they will be the ones to bring the relative success we all crave.

I think the key point for me is, trying to win the game. You're right I don't care so much about the result as I do the intent. 

I don't know if you will agree with me or not  but my issue is with Bruce is the way he has sets us up to play from the get go and then his substitutions thereafter in a lot of games, not a few.

I agree there have been positives lately and there is a new feel about the team but it's in its infancy.

We are Aston Villa and I want us to go about our business with confidence. Now that could mean trying to hit wolves on the counter, if so then fine. 

A plan to try and win, instead of a plan not to lose!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Dave J said:

And many many top managers would still walk over hot coals to sit in the hot seat at VP - maybe we have to agree to disagree but please bear in mind I'm no Warnock fan !

Dave, I'm seeing people thinking that Rafa Benitez or the latest, Carlo Ancelotti, might come here - it's farcical honestly.

I'd love to know which "top managers" you think would have come here one year ago or even today?

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Cheers for the advice :)

Hope is just wanting Bruce to do well and I'd like to think we all want that. My missus could take over as manager though and I'd hope she would do a great job but I would have zero confidence in it, even with me advising her. Wouldn't stop me hoping though.

I'd think most of those who back Bruce do so based on way more than hoping he does well. They will base it on his CV but as I said in one of my previous posts they will also take into account that over his 46 games we have taken 71 points a handful less than needed for top 6. This after inheriting a club with a losers mentality. More recently our form has been very good. Best in the division in fact.

So no I don't believe those who back him just do so out of hope. They do so based on his CV prior to joining us, his overall record whilst he has been here, taking into account the mess he inherited, and take into account our most recent form.

Anytime! In my OP I stated a lot more than the quote you took as I said so far we've not beaten anyone who will be in contention. He will have to improve his record to be a success here but I don't buy into the state of the club when Bruce arrived as much as you do but that's a debatable issue. The biggest thing is this season we are still not where we'd want to be. We now have a run of games that will show if September was a blip. I'm more confident than I was after Boro but Bruce still has lots of questions to answer. We are still short of his 2pts  game target and have been since he's been here. If we average 2 pts a game from the next 4 I maybe as confident as you. Let's hope I am. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Right, well now we actually have something to talk about, what did everyone think of his press conference? :lol: 

He is living in denial.

Quoting Wolves spent money „heavily invested in the last 18 months“ „15mill for one forward“ was he talking about wolves or us?

Another excuse he‘s peddling now is

“The season is about to get going now“ „it means nothing being at the top of the league now“

Well Bruces boy, when you came in last season the season „hadnt really started“ then? & „Newcastle, Brighton & Huddersfield having good starts or being up there doesnt mean a thing when the dafodils come out“ ?

And Brotish managers play x-style whilst all the foriegn managers „flooding the championship“ are just playing „another style“

The guy really needs to cut talking shyte and get on with the job.

a GK on loan from PL ManU - SJ

4 of the back 4 Internationals & PL-standard players - Elmo Chester JT NT

2 of the MF Internationals & PL-Standard players the other 2 our top scorers

Kodjia a Championship proven top goalscorer

Davis - turning out to be a beast of a player at this level

+

A bench worth £millions

More than likely the highest wage bill in the league

All this and we should be „there or there abouts“

12pts from the next 4 so that he can stay and shut us all up

or GTFO

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

He is living in denial.

Quoting Wolves spent money „heavily invested in the last 18 months“ „15mill for one forward“ was he talking about wolves or us?

Another excuse he‘s peddling now is

“The season is about to get going now“ „it means nothing being at the top of the league now“

Well Bruces boy, when you came in last season the season „hadnt really started“ then? & „Newcastle, Brighton & Huddersfield having good starts or being up there doesnt mean a thing when the dafodils come out“ ?

And Brotish managers play x-style whilst all the foriegn managers „flooding the championship“ are just playing „another style“

The guy really needs to cut talking shyte and get on with the job.

a GK on loan from PL ManU - SJ

4 of the back 4 Internationals & PL-standard players - Elmo Chester JT NT

2 of the MF Internationals & PL-Standard players the other 2 our top scorers

Kodjia a Championship proven top goalscorer

Davis - turning out to be a beast of a player at this level

+

A bench worth £millions

More than likely the highest wage bill in the league

All this and we should be „there or there abouts“

12pts from the next 4 so that he can stay and shut us all up

or GTFO

Agree with all of that apart from the 12 points. 8 or more would be a great return.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Dave, I'm seeing people thinking that Rafa Benitez or the latest, Carlo Ancelotti, might come here - it's farcical honestly.

I'd love to know which "top managers" you think would have come here one year ago or even today?

Well RDM was a champions league winner - you feel that Bruce is a top manager- Lambert was regarded as one of the bright young hopes ( still a good manager in there for me) who left a cracking Norwich side to come here- and I 've not really thought about my answer 

On 12/10/2017 at 18:13, bannedfromHandV said:

And?

Well it's the toughest job going and a club in complete turmoil and yet pretty much every manager at this level would jump at the chance. 

That's because in reality it wasn't as bad as you make out. We were under performing but it was a squad full of proven quality at this level, it was under an ambitious owner with the promise of large funds in upcoming transfer windows and the kind of club that can attract the best quality in the league. 

• Like 2

Mat least in retrospect he can admit what he seemed so eager to deny at the time, August was appalling.

Weve had a great September, for me his position is still in jeopardy he needs another couple of good months.

I still feel like he is laying foundations of excuses for himself in that interview and I’m more than tired of it. He needs to embrace the size of the club, the resources he has and has had and the expectation.

I’m no fan of O’Neill but he did that when he arrived and it’s what the club needed, I think it needs that now. Bruce seems like a man who wants to avoid that expectation, down play down the resources. Its not what I want from a manager or what I think is needed.

But he is the manager and will remain so while we keep winning but another month like August and he will be gone.

Huge game for him today, a point would be very welcome.

• Like 1

Â