Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Yes we did, because our last four wins have come against shite teams that we should have been rolling aside with ease - which apart from Burton and Barnsley to a degree, didn't happen - so if we wanted to be actually challengers this season, we needed to show we could beat good teams, but we can't, so no promotion for us.

And as for beating teams we need to beat, what about Cardiff? Brentford? Bristol City? Middlesbrough? Reading? I'd say if we wanted promotion we should be beating at least 3/4 of them, yet we still shut up shop and didn't get a sniff. And you seem to be conveniently be missing the point about how an actual promotion challenger, Wolves, would not play this way at VP,  because they'd try beat us and take points of a fellow challenger. If we'd won today, we'd be 1 point off top, instead we're 7. Sure it's a long season, but if that's how we play the moment we face anyone half decent, that gap is only going to get bigger.

Half decent? They're one of the best teams in the league with a class loanee from Atletico Madrid and a 15mil CM. Massively underrating them again. Cardiff are 2nd, Bristol are 4th but we started badly this season, no question. Fact is, top 6 accounts for 12 games, the other 18 for 36 - it's much more important to get results against the latter, in the grand scheme of things IMO.

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Half decent? They're one of the best teams in the league with a class loanee from Atletico Madrid and a 15mil CM. Massively underrating them again. Cardiff are 2nd, Bristol are 4th but we started badly this season, no question. Fact is, top 6 accounts for 12 games, the other 18 for 36 - it's much more important to get results against the latter, in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Reading? Brentford? Middlesbrough with 10 men? Hull?

Edit: Also if we want promotion, we should be beating a team in 4th, and at least giving 2nd a good game to try dislodge them.

Also to add, stop acting like this is just about the Wolves game, the "half decent" was clearly in reference to all the other games we've been shit in.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

I think we all know where we are. We have a decent workman like team that can and should battle for promotion. But we are not going to see attractive football this year. It will be pragmatic football based on the fact we have better players than most teams in this league. The manager is not going to change and even if he did I think a better manager would want different players. So it would be starting again.

Today we played a team with players that do not even belong in this league. How on earth Wolves have managed to sign some of these players I have no idea but we have can only watch on in envy I'm afraid. They will walk this league.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we all know where we are. We have a decent workman like team that can and should battle for promotion. But we are not going to see attractive football this year. It will be pragmatic football based on the fact we have better players than most teams in this league. The manager is not going to chance and even if he did I think a better manager would want different players. So it would be starting again.

Today we played a team with players that do not even belong in this league. How on earth Wolves have managed to sign some of these players I have no idea but we have can only watch on in envy I'm afraid. They will walk this league.

They have one of the richest owners in the whole of football. The newly signed players are being treated like royalty.

We lost to the best team in the league..

They had a whole summer to become the best team in the league. 

I don't blame Bruce because he is limited in his approach. He cannot become a better manager he can only motivate the players. 

I blame the ownership for appointing him without any real thought of what they wanted to build here. 

Bruce is going to have good spells and bad spells at this club. The football will not be any different.  This is something that we have to accept until Xia has had enough because Wyness and Round are not going to sack Bruce. 

I just hope that neither of them have any say in the next selection process.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They have one of the richest owners in the whole of football. The newly signed players are being treated like royalty.

Yep many are forgetting this. I said they were the Man City of the Championship once and got ridiculed for it just because they are Wolves. I don't think people appriecate the size of their owners. Tony is small fry in comparison. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We lost to the best team in the league..

They had a whole summer to become the best team in the league. 

I don't blame Bruce because he is limited in his approach. He cannot become a better manager he can only motivate the players. 

I blame the ownership for appointing him without any real thought of what they wanted to build here. 

Bruce is going to have good spells and bad spells at this club. The football will not be any different.  This is something that we have to accept until Xia has had enough because Wyness and Round are not going to sack Bruce. 

I just hope that neither of them have any say in the next selection process.

This a very well balanced post. It's the truth.

It's to the point now where it's hard to even blame him.

I'm wondering if Tonys Chinese pride will be hurt.

The boys down the road laughing at showing how it's done.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

We are caught between a rock and a hard place, because we don't do the ugly stuff well enough either.

our ball control and subsequent ball retention is low level to be going anywhere.

but today we had too many players not at it.....players you expect a performance from were flat.

We don't do the ugly stuff good enough and we don't keeep the ball. So what is Bruce doing? I've said all along Bruce relies on his good players showing individual brilliance to win most games it's not good management. We've still not got a style after all these months and we played a team with lots of it after 6. This Wolves performance has been seen before against other teams that keep the ball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

Today is not the day to trash Bruce. He wasn't able to work any magic, but you can hardly blame him for the loss. Wolves have very good players, and a good manager too. I'm envyous.

Mate but the hurt stems from the fact that again, we had a head start, finance, takeover wise etc, and seemingly made a load of shit decisions from top to bottom.

It's Lerner/Man City all over again in a sense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

Today is not the day to trash Bruce. He wasn't able to work any magic, but you can hardly blame him for the loss. Wolves have very good players, and a good manager too. I'm envyous.

Ok, so turning that around the other way should he have got praise for beating the likes of Bolton and Barnsley?

I think it’s almost impossible to make any kind of arguement that Bruce is doing a good job. 

• Like 4

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate but the hurt stems from the fact that again, we had a head start, finance, takeover wise etc, and seemingly made a load of shit decisions from top to bottom.

It's Lerner/Man City all over again in a sense.

I know. It feels horrible, like we're going to be stuck here forever. We actually just may be.

42 minutes ago, KHV said:

As soon as I saw the starting XI I knew we were doomed. Bruce went with the same set up purely because we luckily won 4 on the bounce. It was crying out for a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 tonight as a two man midfield with Hourihane and Whelan was always going to crumble

I know today was poor but to say the four wins were lucky is laughable 

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Ok, so turning that around the other way should he have got praise for beating the likes of Bolton and Barnsley?

I think it’s almost impossible to make any kind of arguement that Bruce is doing a good job. 

I'm not. Just talking about today.

Â