Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I keep hearing Bruce spouting that the players can't handle playing at villa and it's overwhelming. Anyone buying this? I can understand with some players but majority should not be fazed. I mean after all we are hardly Man Utd or arsenal. I know the atmosphere at home can be heavy at times, but I just can't grasp how shit people turn out once they put the claret and blue shirt on. 

I think our biggest problem is that nobody gives two shits, most of the signings we have made have been given huge pay rises and are now earning the most they will ever earn in their careers because they are not actually that good. The other signings like Jedinak, Whelan and Terry are at the end of their careers and have scored a decent last pay day and in Terry's case he is doing his badges.  It would appear that nobody is really that motivated to achieve anything other than getting paid each week and putting in minimal effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I keep hearing Bruce spouting that the players can't handle playing at villa and it's overwhelming. Anyone buying this? I can understand with some players but majority should not be fazed. I mean after all we are hardly Man Utd or arsenal. I know the atmosphere at home can be heavy at times, but I just can't grasp how shit people turn out once they put the claret and blue shirt on. 

I think its nonsense, you don't end up playing at the top end of the profession if you can't handle pressure. 

Its the same as the 'no passion for the club' argument and when people say the players don't care if they get beat because they are now being paid more. No one is going to convince me that the Cardiff and Reading players somehow have more passion for their clubs than our players do for us, that because they may be on less money they were somehow trying more and caring more.

Footballers have a passion for playing football, for winning games, what ever club they are at. 

The problem is that it must be pretty hard to keep that passion when you are being sent out to deliberately sit back, spend all game doing shuttle runs chasing the ball around, and as soon as you get it kick it away. Meanwhile players who you don't consider to be any better than yourself talent wise are pinging one touch passes around you with ease, because they have been better drilled and coached.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

This analysis of long balls is so basic. Does not take into various things, eg. accuracy, where pass is from, where it's aimed at, etc.

We were 29% (from 62) and 27% (from 56) accurate in long balls vs Cardiff  and Reading respectively. All but 7 vs. Reading and 2 vs. Cardiff were from in our own half.

As they are comparing to Wolves, vs Hull they attempted 79 long balls, 48 of which were accurate (61%). 22 of those attempted were made from the opposition half. Also, less than 13% of their total attempted passes were long balls, vs. more than 14% by us vs. Cardiff, 18% vs. Reading and 16% vs Hull.

Reading vs. us attempted 20 more long balls, but had 46% accuracy, and 21% of those attempted stayed in the defensive third vs. 5% of ours.

We don't play long passes we just lump it forward, pure kick and rush. No wonder the accuracy is so appalling. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We don't play long passes we just lump it forward, pure kick and rush. No wonder the accuracy is so appalling. 

I'd accept the shit brand of football if it brought results but it doesn't - we play a horrible turgid style of football and still get beat - it really is depressing the people running the club can't hold their hands up to the mistake made and appoint a decent progressive manager .

Just now, Eastie said:

I'd accept the shit brand of football if it brought results but it doesn't - we play a horrible turgid style of football and still get beat - it really is depressing the people running the club can't hold their hands up to the mistake made and appoint a decent progressive manager .

Sadly, their idea of 'progressive' was RDM.

40 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Exactly this.

Although I've noticed that Sam Johnstone's passing game (long, of course) seems a lot better this season.  Also noticeable that John Terry is always looking up for an out ball (long pass) - it seems habitual rather than a managerial instruction, so possibly something he's been doing all his career.

The analysis by @tomsky_11 seems to highlight what I always believed - we're hoofing from our own half rather than passing into midfield.  The Wolves comparison is how I imagine we should be playing.  Ball into midfield, look forward, pick a pass.  We tend to hoof the ball into channels and, apparently, get crosses in.  Crosses for Scott Hogan with the rest of our team nowhere the box is a pointless exercise.

• Like 1

Well usually a drop into the bottom 3 is enough to generate the P45 (whether this is due to a clause in the contract) but not on this occassion.

Anything less than 3 points on saturday has got to mean he is gone, surely.

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

This analysis of long balls is so basic. Does not take into various things, eg. accuracy, where pass is from, where it's aimed at, etc.

We were 29% (from 62) and 27% (from 56) accurate in long balls vs Cardiff  and Reading respectively. All but 7 vs. Reading and 2 vs. Cardiff were from in our own half.

As they are comparing to Wolves, vs Hull they attempted 79 long balls, 48 of which were accurate (61%). 22 of those attempted were made from the opposition half. Also, less than 13% of their total attempted passes were long balls, vs. more than 14% by us vs. Cardiff, 18% vs. Reading and 16% vs Hull.

Reading vs. us attempted 20 more long balls, but had 46% accuracy, and 21% of those attempted stayed in the defensive third vs. 5% of ours.

Thanks statto ;)

2784941600000578-3036912-Loughran_became_known_as_Statto_when_he_worked_alongside_David_B-a-5_1428998760159.jpg

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Well usually a drop into the bottom 3 is enough to generate the P45 (whether this is due to a clause in the contract) but not on this occassion.

Anything less than 3 points on saturday has got to mean he is gone, surely.

He should have gone in the summer but 'let's ruin our season start and leave a mountain to climb before pulling the trigger' seems to be the MO at AVFC.

• Like 4

Could it be that Dr T and Wyness have already decided to sack Bruce but are waiting another two weeks until the transfer window closes for the sake of balancing the accounts? They may wish to avoid a new manager coming in and demanding money for a couple of his type of players before September 1st.

Probably not .... I'm just grasping at straws!

19 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Could it be that Dr T and Wyness have already decided to sack Bruce but are waiting another two weeks until the transfer window closes for the sake of balancing the accounts? They may wish to avoid a new manager coming in and demanding money for a couple of his type of players before September 1st.

Probably not .... I'm just grasping at straws!

The International Break also coincide with these things, it makes sense to be honest.

New manager gets a bit of bedding in time etc.

Hopefully wouldn't need 10 months.

6 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Just got told from someone that BBC have reported Bruce has 3 games to save this job, can any one verify this or is this made up? 

I don't know about the BBC but there's this:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/637989/Aston-Villa-News-Steve-Bruce-sack-Championship-Dr-Tony-Xia

Edited by Kentish Villan

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Funny thing is, this has reminded me of how many of our new signings have played some beautiful, long forwarded passes on their debuts to get us excited.

By the time they are 2 - 3 games in they can barely trap a ball. lol

• Like 1

Â