Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

The three I mentioned weren't. Veretout went to a different club, as did Cissokho and nobody seriously thought somebody would give us a fee for Bacuna did they?! 

As I've clarified, I'm not saying it's all down to Bruce, but whether he was told 'you've got 'X' to spend and the wage budget is 'Y' or he just chucked the names at Xia and he did the rest, Bruce still deserves credit and the club as a whole has done brilliantly. On paper. 

I feel like I'm giving the impression I'm not happy with it. I really am. We've moved on most of the players I wanted us to and I think we've built one of the best squads in the league and we are clearly within FFP regulations. 

I think we're just disagreeing on how impressive it is. Either way I am happy with the business we've done on outgoings and incomings this summer. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Well if you're referring to my posts I did say "not all down to Bruce" and "what Bruce and the club have done". 

It's a collective. I would imagine Bruce decides who/what he wants in and those he's prepared to let go, then the Doc, Wyness and Round will come in and try and make it happen. 

The overall position we are in now, has loads to do with Bruce though and he deserves a large part of the credit for that. If you think the squad is decent of course, which some clearly don't and that's fine, we'll all be able to make that judgement using hindsight soon enough. 

No sorry, not a dig at you or anyone really.

Just my overall speculations about how our transfer dealings are done.

Same way I'n not putting all the blame on Di Matteo for our hit/miss summer dealings last year.

But I do blame RDM for neglecting the midfield.

• Like 1

Funny how every year we buy good players in and generally we are happy, by the end of the season they are apparently abysmal and we cannot wait to get rid of them?  Perhaps suggets an underlying problem that needs resolution.

As for Bruce, what ever the "Villa way" transpires to be, I hope it does not reflect the football played over the last year.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Just for checks and balances what will be the relative resale values of his summer signings in 12 months?

Relative to what we paid for them? Depending on the season we have, I'd say break even ?

Terry and Samba would have no value, as would the loans. 

Depending on which report you read, we signed Whelan for somewhere in between £1-2m and Elmo for £1m. 

If we have a good season, I'd imagine those two will play a reasonable part in that. You'd probably be able to sell Elmo for £2m+ with two years left on his contract, especially if he has a decent season. Maybe £500k for Whelan given his age? 

The summer signings have been low cost, low risk. So whilst they might not have much resale value, they won't lose us a load of dough either. 

If we take it back to include Jan, then I think it depends on Hogan's performance for us this season. Lansbury and Hourihane would return a profit, just because we basically stole them and they'd have 2/3 years left on their contracts. Hogan was decent money, but if he scores 15-20, then I don't doubt we'd at least get back what we paid, probably more if a prem team came sniffing? Bree could be a great investment if he kicks on. That leaves Thor as the black sheep. Fee 'undisclosed' so hard to say. If we paid more than £2m for him then McGrath help us on that one. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Relative to what we paid for them? Depending on the season we have, I'd say break even ?

Terry and Samba would have no value, as would the loans. 

Depending on which report you read, we signed Whelan for somewhere in between £1-2m and Elmo for £1m. 

If we have a good season, I'd imagine those two will play a reasonable part in that. You'd probably be able to sell Elmo for £2m+ with two years left on his contract, especially if he has a decent season. Maybe £500k for Whelan given his age? 

The summer signings have been low cost, low risk. So whilst they might not have much resale value, they won't lose us a load of dough either. 

If we take it back to include Jan, then I think it depends on Hogan's performance for us this season. Lansbury and Hourihane would return a profit, just because we basically stole them and they'd have 2/3 years left on their contracts. Hogan was decent money, but if he scores 15-20, then I don't doubt we'd at least get back what we paid, probably more if a prem team came sniffing? Bree could be a great investment if he kicks on. That leaves Thor as the black sheep. Fee 'undisclosed' so hard to say. If we paid more than £2m for him then McGrath help us on that one. 

This  :thumb:

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I've seen enough, he can go.

There is absolutely no progresss, no system in place, no evidence of anything remotely close to a style of play. Just desperate stuff.

This , 

Don't know that Tony will pull the plug after 2 games though ... perhaps first thing owe could do is replace calderwood with Phelan ?

Regardless of the final score, this guy has shown that he does not have a clue and is not the guy to take us up, his football is utterly devoid of thought, simply clueless, and he isn't motivating these players to want to fight for the cause. Sorry but this appointment is yet another total abortion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

45 mins for me to prove he's capable of achieving what's he needs to here. the deficiencies are more obvious than ever in this game, I want to see how we will remedy them.

Good job he always gets us going in. A second half.... oh...

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

This , 

Don't know that Tony will pull the plug after 2 games though ... perhaps first thing owe could do is replace calderwood with Phelan ?

Deckchairs on the titanic if you ask me, not that we are going down, just that it's pointless. 

Â