Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Its like you say opinions.....and I am not dismissing any of them, but answer me this

what exactly has Sunderland achieved or created with ALL their other managers inc Martin O'Neill?

It can be a cop out to just keep blaming managers.

Doubt anyone is saying Sunderlands problems are all down to Bruce, or the managers after him. Although just like us they have had a string of terrible appointments IMO. They are a mess just like us.

We were all rightly blaming Lerner for most of our problems. But the issues regarding Bruce in this article are IMO very much the same we are seeing here now.

I just hope we don't rush Kodija back from injury too soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well it's exactly how I saw the game - without using charts ! :)

The 3 key things are - Bacuna was a mistake, we didn't change tactics when theyvsuseed Elmo ( wouldn't have needed to had it not been used so often) and when they pressed we 'went long'.

All of which were relevant all last season too !

Too negative and poor game management. Rinse and repeat !

that is concerning for me......albeit I would not play Bacuna, despite me knowing why he does.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Doubt anyone is saying Sunderlands problems are all down to Bruce, or the managers after him. Although just like us they have had a string of terrible appointments IMO. They are a mess just like us.

We were all rightly blaming Lerner for most of our problems. But the issues regarding Bruce in this article are IMO very much the same we are seeing here now.

I just hope we don't rush Kodija back from injury too soon.

I just think our repair job is going to take much longer than many think.

is Steve Bruce the right manager to rebuild us?......I hope so, because changing managers constantly i think is detrimental too.

The thing we all have opinions on and because it does take time, its unclear.....is he the right man?.....if he is not we are just treading water.

but bare in mind we have had a few stabs at it.....who's to say we get it right next time......who is going to fund all this trail and error.

I think we have to stay with it for a while.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

is Steve Bruce the right manager to rebuild us?......I hope so, because changing managers constantly i think is detrimental too.

The thing we all have opinions on and because it does take time, its unclear.....is he the right man?.....if he is not we are just treading water.

but bare in mind we have had a few stabs at it.....who's to say we get it right next time......who is going to fund all this trail and error.

Although I do not believe getting rid of Bruce anytime soon is the right thing to do, what I do think is, if we did sack him or he left tomorrow, then any manager that walks in has a pretty decent championship squad to work with so I would like to think there would not be much need for more trial and error.

I think Bruce has bought well so that's one feather in his cap. 

• Like 3

Bruces premier league record (which includes the Sunderland one mentioned above) is pretty poor but considering we are not in the premier league i think not pay too much attention to that article at this stage :) 

1 hour ago, sne said:

This is a scary read from back in 2011 after his  reign as Sunderland came to an end.

It's just one journos opinion, but so much of it is similar at what we're (I'm) seeing at Villa now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

It's a few years back and I'm sure Bruce has learned a lot since then, and he went on to have success at Hull despite these potential flaws.

But it's a harrowing read.

Scariest part was he trusted Eric Black with 1st team affairs :o

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its like you say opinions.....and I am not dismissing any of them, but answer me this

what exactly has Sunderland achieved or created with ALL their other managers inc Martin O'Neill?

It can be a cop out to just keep blaming managers.

There are equally managers with all those technical attributes you allude to but with questionable attributes that Steve Bruce has......and have no success.

Those that have both like Mourinho/Pepe are amongst the best in world football.

I would say Sunderland never recovered from amount of money Bruce and Keane wasted on crap

57 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you are right, and I look back and now realise it's why RDM kept insisting it was at least a 2 YEAR project.

On your other point, I now see Bruce as someone to steady the ship, and nothing more, sadly.

Obviously I hope I am wrong, but looking forward, I am on the younger, progressive, talented manager bandwagon.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, TRO said:

But why should a special case be made for Bruce over previous managers. I thought we got rid of RDM way too soon but the longer we hang around the championship the more likely we will just become another championship side.  This season or never for Bruce. Give him 10 games.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I can promise you there were boos at full time in the Holte on Saturday.

Like I've said previously, the more I go to Villa, the more I hate our fans.

some

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

some

As a fanbase, my opinion of "us" is decreasing by the week.

Going to Villa Park is a chore, and not just because of the football on show.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I know what you mean Steve.......I have just moved to the Doug Ellis Lower with my ST

I have to say early days.....but the folk around us are sensible......i am pleasantly surprised.

Its important to be comfortable in your surroundings.

I am a pensioner now and not quite the authority on telling folk to pipe up as I was in my youth.

you kinda hope for a bit of sense and tolerance I guess.

back on topic

a few wins under Stevie boy and it will all settle down:)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

If it takes longer than this season then we are in real trouble. Also if the repair job is something that's going to take longer than first thought then I question the signings of Terry, Samba and Whelan. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why let a small minority annoy you that much? If you went most places with 30,000 strangers you're going to find a small group that act in a way you don't like. 

People are understandably going to be short on patience at the moment. 

On the flip side we have the brigada (think that's right) movement in the holte, trying to create more of an atmosphere and our numbers are impressive for both home and away fixtures. 

Edited by DCJonah

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If it takes longer than this season then we are in real trouble. Also if the repair job is something that's going to take longer than first thought then I question the signings of Terry, Samba and Whelan. 

fair comment.

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Why let a small minority annoy you that much?

Because the more I go, the less of a minority it appears to be.

If every game was on Sky I seriously think I'd stay home. It's at the stage where I'd rather watch a game on my own than watch a game and have to listen to a load of words removed for 90 minutes.

Anyway, we're off topic. Bruce out or whatever.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know what you mean Steve.......I have just moved to the Doug Ellis Lower with my ST

I have to say early days.....but the folk around us are sensible......i am pleasantly surprised.

Its important to be comfortable in your surroundings.

I am a pensioner now and not quite the authority on telling folk to pipe up as I was in my youth.

you kinda hope for a bit of sense and tolerance I guess.

back on topic

a few wins under Stevie boy and it will all settle down:)

Thats where I sit !

33 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That should lead back to questioning the name in the title of this thread, NOT the signings.

It is clear why the players were signed.

Â