Next Villa Manager

Richard

3 minutes ago, bose said:

There is no way that Dyche would jump down a division and join us. No way.

Probably not, but no harm in being ambitious. You point out to him the ceiling of villas potential compared to Burnley, you offer him a good wage and the promise of money to make signings in January, you get one of his best mates (Ian Taylor) to constantly big him about villa, and maybe, maybe, he gets his arm twisted 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 2

I haven't read through this thread so have no idea if anyone has suggested Lee Johnson at Bristol City, but he's done a good job there and at Barnsley before that. They play good football and he seems a very astute guy when I've seen him interviewed

Edited by StewieGriffin

Posted 18 minutes ago · Report post

Im sick of feeling gutted, I'm sick of feeling bad

Another 3 points wasted!! a win we should have had.

i make my way from preston, I'm Queing at the train

With all this hurt inside me my soul starts to complain

Too Roberto Dimateo or however this is spelt

Don't you think i've had enough with the club that i was dealt

I understand your history and all you've won before

But why play so defensive like a pimp who's lost a whore

I'm begging you sir TONY!! cut the bridge that you have built

Learn from your first lesson, Cats always spill there milk

I see your whole big picture but Just think of what i've what i've said

i Don't want to be the villa fan so sad i up end up dead.

peace

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

I know Steve Bruce has a good record of promotion from this league, but that is only because he also gets his teams relegated to this division.

Also, he annoys the hell out of me in his after match interviews. Often he will start the interview with... I'm not going to make excuses, but......

One in 9 years I think ?

44 minutes ago, bose said:

There is no way that Dyche would jump down a division and join us. No way.

He would if he is ambitious, and I get the idea he is very ambitious.

He has done a great job at Burnley, but he cant possibly think that's his long term future.  Whilst we are in many ways an uninviting prospect its impossible that he wouldn't see the possibilities.  He knows that, sooner or later  - if the extent of Tony's money is real - some Manager is going to do the impossible, (and get us winning more than 4 games year !!).....and whoever does that will have a great cv - he isn't going to get a job at a top 6 Club from where he is now, but he would have a good chance if he got us promoted and into the top 8/10 of the Premier League.

Or he might even stay if the money was available.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

Hi. I’ve drawn up a list and from that a shortlist. Since I have seen Dyche mentioned, who would be damn near impossible, I’ve added some more impossibles. But after that, a few viable ones and some out of leftfield.

Ambitious but virtually impossible:

• Roberto Mancini

• Sean Dyche

• Louis Van Gaal

• Guus Hiddink

Slightly less impossible:

• Martin O’Neill

• Chris Coleman

• Andre Villas Boas

Realistic:

• Dean SMith

• Steve Bruce

• Michael O’Neill

• Gary Rowett

• Chris Hughton

• Neil Warnock

• Glenn Hoddle

• Gary Neville

• Ryan Giggs

I respect your opinions… but not for me:

• Sam Allardyce

• Steve McLaren

• Nigel Pearson

• Owen Coyle

Midfielder’s final shortlist:

• Gary Rowett

• Chris Hughton

• Glenn Hoddle

• Neil Warnock

• Martin O Neill

First of all it nearly makes me puke putting Warnock on there. I can’t stand the guy but he is a first-step stabiliser and has ability to get a team promoted, keeping them there is another matter. But a possible SOS manager. He knows tactics, even if it means playing ugly to get wins and build consistency. 5th choice.

Glenn Hoddle? I couldn’t care less what the press went to town with regarding his religious beliefs at that time. I think a return to the game for him at our level would be the ideal project for him, not just with team selection, tactics and man motivation, but the whole infrastructure building. Continental thinking modern manager despite being out of the game. Out of touch, possibly. Risky. But for me, worth talking to him. For all he knows, as an England manager candidate, Southgate could get it full time. I respect Hoddle a lot, but does he have the hairdryer ability our team will often need? 4th choice

Gary Rowett. Needs little explanation. He has done well with THEM on their budget with constant upheaval in the background, got on with his job and pretty well too. Annoyingly. Normally I wouldn’t want anything from THEM but he has enormous potential, knows the Championship and would (in the medium term) have more chance of going up with us, or even this season who knows? It would be sweet as hell to snatch their manager, McLeish was different, wasn’t in post at the time. I would piss myself if this ever happened from laughter. Though, he does seem loyal and might buy into the anyone-but-Villa thing if he were to leave them. Still though, he’s on my list. Joint 1st choice

Chris Hughton. Brighton are in a better position than us but overall he is consistent with them, been there a while now. It would take a lot for him to come here, some would see it as a sideways step from stability into uncertainty. Very well respected manager, top guy. Knows the Championship… would take a lot of convincing. Joint 1st choice

MON - yes he signed a new contract with Rep of Ireland. But sometimes in football, you hear a call and you have to take it. Whilst O Neill left the club in a sorry financial state, looking back.... who knows if it was more Lerner than him anyway... He brought some truly great times to this club. He loved this club. I think he still does. Surely, the buzz of football is felt better in club football. He made some right dodgy signings though but hey we have technical director and scouting infrastructure here that he didn't have access to. He likes the chequebook, we have a nice chequebook. He knows tactics, is a motivator of the highest calibre and him coming back here would be phenomenal. joint 1st place.

Long post, but for me, if we were to move RDM on, I would like to see one of these five.

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Rowett would crawl over hot coals to join us. FACT

If true that would decrease my reluctance to go for him.  Not because I think being a Villa fan is relevant (it definitely isn't) but because, much derided though it was around August, I believe passion (lets at least talk about it properly and spell it properly ) actually can be (doesn't have to be) an asset, and in our particular case is something we lack.