Next Villa Manager

Richard

1 minute ago, John said:

I guess the Doctor may be looking to appoint a new boss that will not have expectations that are too lavash when it comes to the January window given his spending to date. Could that be Mr Potato Bread?   

I think the doctor will look for the  best manager that is available. 

I think for the long term future of the club Wagner could be a superb appointment. If the aim is simply promotion then Bruce is also a good shout. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the doctor will look for the  best manager that is available. 

I think for the long term future of the club Wagner could be a superb appointment. If the aim is simply promotion then Bruce is also a good shout. 

I don't get it?

• Like 2

Wagner has to be on top of the list without a doubt.

He will not only rebuild our club, but he would get us promoted within two years.  He is a manager that could potentially keep us in the premier league and make us competitive if we do get promoted.

Money and time needs to be thrown at Wagner

A man that clearly knows what he is doing.

Wagner is no hollow sergeant‑major. He laughs a lot for a start and his approach is rooted in more than an ability to foster a strong esprit de corps. He has overseen the appointment of a nutritionist and a head of performance services and has had it written into players’ contracts that they must live within 15 miles of the club’s training ground because long commutes hinder recovery. These are basic measures for a man who spent five years gaining a degree in biology and sports science from Darmstadt University after finishing his playing career in 2005.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/09/huddersfield-david-wagner-no-electricity-no-beds-football-championship

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

He will not only rebuild our club, but he would get us promoted within two years.  He is a manager that could potentially keep us in the premier league and make us competitive if we do get promoted.

Maybe. But will us fickle fans be patient enough? And he is untested as a manager?

IMG_0169.JPG

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Maybe. But will us fickle fans be patient enough? And he is untested as a manager and in the U.K.?

As i've always said Southampton is a model that we seem to be trying to replicate, they languished in the doldrums of obscurity for years before being the club that they are now. This could be us.

Would you prefer to be a yoyo club?

Or would prefer to wait a year or two to have some solid foundations built into the club and become a top 8 premier league club again?

/

Wagner seems to be the real deal, he would have everything at his disposal at this club. I think he would thrive here.

Edited by Reivax_Villa

19 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/09/huddersfield-david-wagner-no-electricity-no-beds-football-championship

Based on a Guardian article and a good 6 months at Huddersfield. He may or may not be the next big thing, but is nobody else worried that he is just the latest flavour of the month?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Based on a Guardian article and a good 6 months at Huddersfield. He may or may not be the next big thing, but is nobody else worried that he is just the latest flavour of the month?

I remember 20 years ago, as usual we were looking for a manager.  Arsenal signed an unknown with experience in foreign leagues and some weird ideas about nutrition and stuff.

It was at that point that a wide, generational gap started to open between our two clubs.  It seems hard now to recall that we and the Arse were once of a level.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Fans ranting on about Wagner, who is obviously the new "sliced bread". It all sounds a bit like Lambert all over again! 

We have fallen so far :-(  so depressing!

The problem wasn't Lambert, it was the owner who didn't support him.  

Personally, I'd be very happy with Wagner. Good pedigree working with Klopp and already shown he has what it takes. Just because you're unaware of the guy doesn't make him the next "sliced bread"

Unlikely he will come anyway so its probably going to be Bruce

25 minutes ago, peterms said:

I remember 20 years ago, as usual we were looking for a manager.  Arsenal signed an unknown with experience in foreign leagues and some weird ideas about nutrition and stuff.

It was at that point that a wide, generational gap started to open between our two clubs.  It seems hard now to recall that we and the Arse were once of a level.

For every Wenger there is a billion Dr Joes. Not sure on your point.

• Like 2

Interesting piece in the brum mail from rowett about wagner, said huddersfield were the most drilled/organised side he's come up against. When they pushed up and tried to press them, the huddersfield backs calmly passed the ball out of defence.

14 hours ago, Richard said:

POT 1 Old tried and tested been around the block managers who have succeeded and failed at other clubs

Hodgson, Bruce, Mccarthy,  Warnock,  Allardyce, Pullis, Mclaren, Holloway, Grayson

POT 2 Managers who are on the upward trajectory still youngish and may be able to instill a succesful winning dynasty looking for the big step up

Howe, Dyche, Rowett, Flores, Smith, Hughton

POT 3Current flavour of the month types

Phelan, Wagner, Johnson

POT4 Untried and untested coaches who have proved nothing and would be a massive punt

Giggs, Rangnick, Neville, Bradley

POT 5 Never going to happen in a month of sundays managers

Hiddink, Mancini,  MON,

POT 6 Tim Sherwood

Any from POT 2 please

The RDM effect. Making us turn to pot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't get it?

Wagner seems like the kind of manager with a philosophy. A way of playing with certain types of player which can eventually give a club an identity. Although it's early days if I had to describe Huddersfield I can already say the seem organised and like to play football. This is something has been taught. 

Bruce's teams on the other hand have always been functional results orientated teams with no real identity. Which has always be great getting teams promoted but then struggled from there.

Do you get it now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Interesting piece in the brum mail from rowett about wagner, said huddersfield were the most drilled/organised side he's come up against. When they pushed up and tried to press them, the huddersfield backs calmly passed the ball out of defence.

This! 

3 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Calmly passing the ball out of defence, you say? Now think of Hutton, Elphick, Chester and Cissokho doing that. There's not an ounce of calmness in those players. They would need to be sedated before every game for that to work. Either that or he gets Derren Brown in to hypnotise them! 

• Like 3