Next Villa Manager

Richard

11 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Wagner sounds and looks impressive from the start Huddlesfield have had but it would be a big gamble.

I'm not sure we can afford a gamble right now.

This is it for me. Wagner looks excellent but has never managed a club eith such high expectations. We need someone that can handle that kind of pressure.

Bruce as much as i dont like him has that experience therefore id give him a two year deal as hughton and rowett seem not of interest to mr xia

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is it for me. Wagner looks excellent but has never managed a club eith such high expectations. We need someone that can handle that kind of pressure.

Bruce as much as i dont like him has that experience therefore id give him a two year deal as hughton and rowett seem not of interest to mr xia

but also.. Bruce isnt guaranteed success either. No reason why Wagner cant get us promoted this season either. The players are there. 

We talk about stability.. but we will want Bruce gone once he gets us promoted.. then we start again? Be better with Wagner.. even if it is another season in the Championship? Tough call for the Doc. I can see both sides of the argument. I guess DR really needs to find out in detail.. what the manager can actually bring NOW to the players to improve performances. Also the staff... Bruce is free and likely to use the current staff... Wagner will want his own men that he has at Huddersfield and Borussia Dortmund II. I am starting to sway to Wagner. However, in an hours time.. my head will sway back to a more proven Bruce. 

Really tough call. I hope he has all the advisors he has access to. Do not consult Sir Alex. 

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

While Bruce is experienced as manager he's only managed at small clubs, with not that big pressure either I assume.

His biggest job was probably Sunderland.

1 minute ago, sne said:

While Bruce is experienced as manager he's only managed at small clubs, with not that big pressure either I assume.

His biggest job was probably Sunderland.

We aren't even in the PL so he might be alright in that case. We are a small club. He has done it time and time again in this league. He's the only logical appointment at this point for me.

• Like 3

Not saying I'm For or Against Wagner ( though perplexed by his rapid elevation to hero status by some ) but wasn't his stroke of genius against the now derided RDM to get a point by a fluffed clearance bouncing in off some chubby blokes gut ?

Football, eh ?

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Not saying I'm For or Against Wagner ( though perplexed by his rapid elevation to hero status by some ) but wasn't his stroke of genius against the now derided RDM to get a point by a fluffed clearance bouncing in off some chubby blokes gut ?

Football, eh ?

Good sub if you ask me! Didnt he just get on the field? Disregard our game.. he has got results and quite a few 1-0 wins.. which we have failed to do on so many occasions. Tactically he looks the goods. I think the fact that he worked closely with Klopp.. is that he is a mini Klopp and would play/coach in a similar style. Which appears to be working at Huddersfield. 

Can't see that Wagner would want to come to be honest. He's established a good working relationship with his own team at Huddersfield which is getting results. Why would he leave that for a side which is struggling in 19th? Steve Bruce is the far more obvious choice. He's used to the concept of a challenge and the requirement for short term results.

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Football, eh ?

To be fair I thought his stroke of genius was knowing that we'd played 2 games in 3 days with the same starting 11 and a very poor bench and he went with riding out the storm for an hour before bringing on 2 pacey wingers and ripping our tiring team to shreds 

if you can't see the tactical changes he made in the game vs us and how it changed the game to our dominance to their dominance then I can't help you but it was a massive swing

• Like 1

Just now, dnmacf said:

Can't see that Wagner would want to come to be honest. He's established a good working relationship with his own team at Huddersfield which is getting results. Why would he leave that for a side which is struggling in 19th? Steve Bruce is the far more obvious choice. He's used to the concept of a challenge and the requirement for short term results.

I get that...  however.. money talks. Not only that.. say he does get promoted.. Huddersfield will find it tough to stay up and compete.. be similar to Bournemouth. With Villa.. if he can get us up.. Tony Xia will back him to compete on a much higher level. Bigger crowds.. better facilities. Yes.. short term hes better off staying.. long term he is better off joining Villa. I think it will come down to how confident he is in our current roster.. are we too far behind to catch up? Whether he believes he can do it or not as well. 

1 minute ago, dnmacf said:

Can't see that Wagner would want to come to be honest. He's established a good working relationship with his own team at Huddersfield which is getting results. Why would he leave that for a side which is struggling in 19th? 

Really? Even in the current state Aston Villa >>> Huddersfield. He'd jump at the chance, as would Rowett, Dean Smith, etc. Not sure if any of these would be the right choice, but I have no doubt they're all attainable. 

Wagner is more exciting, Bruce has the experience. 

Though if experience is so important, wouldn't it be great if we could find a manager who had experience of taking a team that was relegated from the PL and motivating them to finish 2nd behind Newcastle? Because there is one available. 

Also, where did the monthly optimism thread go? 

Wagner sounds very interesting and a modern thinking manager. Wagner is also currently doing well with Huddersfield. But, that talk of a high pressing game just doesn't seem to fit with these Villa players. These are players that appear to be hanging out of their arses after am hour and have frequently switched off after 80 minutes. Asking them to play that high pressing game will leave us needing 10 subs at half time. 

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Interesting piece in the brum mail from rowett about wagner, said huddersfield were the most drilled/organised side he's come up against. When they pushed up and tried to press them, the huddersfield backs calmly passed the ball out of defence.

Whilst I'm not against Wagner, he would be a serious risk, especially without a pre season. Let's not forget, when we played Huddersfield, we should've been 4-0 at half time, they didn't look so organised then

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wagner seems like the kind of manager with a philosophy. A way of playing with certain types of player which can eventually give a club an identity. Although it's early days if I had to describe Huddersfield I can already say the seem organised and like to play football. This is something has been taught. 

Bruce's teams on the other hand have always been functional results orientated teams with no real identity. Which has always be great getting teams promoted but then struggled from there.

Do you get it now?

Woosh

• Like 3