Next Villa Manager

Richard

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Not necessarily. I obviously prefer winning football matches but it's been so drab for so long. Steve Bruce us just so boring. Not only that but we would have to listen to that 'feel sorry for me' Newcastle accent of his.

We should have kept RDM then in this case, what is more exciting that playing 6 strikers at the same time. If you're not fussed about winning then the excitement of late goals conceded and calamity goalkeeping must be exactly what you're after?

Wagner would be a huge risk. The guy has only managed for 44 games unless we are counting his time managing Borussia Dortmunds B team.

The one thing I will say for him though is that Huddersfield signed 13 players over the summer and he has quickly got them to gel something which Di Matteo failed to do after signing nine players.

I just think his amount of games as a manager is such a small sample size and the margins are so tiny. Had Huddersfield lost  a couple more games this season and were sitting 8th he wouldn’t even be in the discussion to be considered. He would be a huge gamble and not one I think we should, or need, to be taking at this time.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

I obviously want to be in the premier league, and winning the champs league etc.

However, when I think about it.... am I really missing it? No not really. 

Very quickly, like with most things, you adapt to the environment. I found 'other' football boring before we were relegated and I still do. The premier league has become what the championship was..... A bit of a 'meh - il look out for the scores but I don't actually give a shit'. I'm certainly not in envy of teams in it.

What I want is to be enticed back to villa park. This summer I was moments away from purchasing my first season ticket.... thankfully I came to my senses. 

I want to not have the opportunity to come to my senses next time. I want to enjoy watching villa again.

• Like 3

The Mirror going with the Tony's loaded so will buy who he wants, angle and then going on to say Dyche would be attainable. Now I am a firm believer of repeating yourself until it comes true, so back to Dyche, I would say the best of all worlds - double recent promotion, his teams are solid, never had the chance to express himself with funds. May also think leaving Burnley now would be ok as daft compensation would be involved and that would benefit the club. Come on you lovely ginger, you know it makes sense!

Aston Villa determined to land top boss with chairman Tony Xia ready to bankroll managerial search

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-determined-land-top-8973993?

Edited by Jareth

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

We should have kept RDM then in this case, what is more exciting that playing 6 strikers at the same time. If you're not fussed about winning then the excitement of late goals conceded and calamity goalkeeping must be exactly what you're after?

The matches I saw under RDM were the least exciting I've ever seen.

8 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I look at Steve Bruce's time at Sunderland (another club is a s**shower of a state) and see how he performed under those sort of circumstances. His time at Sunderland was not a success, that coupled with the fact, I wouldn't want to let him loose in the transfer market for us. 

Finished 13th, 10th, then sacked with them 16th in November. 

Could have gone better I suppose. I don't really know what they were spending in terms of money, but my gut feeling is that 10th is ok. Sacked when 16th is hardly mental, but they could have given him more time I suppose. Again my memory is hazy.

4 promotions from the Championship.  

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Could have gone better I suppose. I don't really know what they were spending in terms of money, but my gut feeling is that 10th is ok. Sacked when 16th is hardly mental, but they could have given him more time I suppose. Again my memory is hazy.

Pat Murphy outlined Bruce's credentials in a single tweet - but looking again perhaps he suits a club with less funds...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Won't be him then will it ......... (you just know it )

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The Mirror going with the Tony's loaded so will buy who he wants, angle and then going on to say Dyche would be attainable. Now I am a firm believer of repeating yourself until it comes true, so back to Dyche, I would say the best of all worlds - double recent promotion, his teams are solid, never had the chance to express himself with funds. May also think leaving Burnley now would be ok as daft compensation would be involved and that would benefit the club. Come on you lovely ginger, you know it makes sense!

Aston Villa determined to land top boss with chairman Tony Xia ready to bankroll managerial search

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-determined-land-top-8973993?

The Mirror. It must be true then. 

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I’d love us to get Dyche. Whilst I think it is highly unlikely that isn’t due to them being in the Premier League and us in the Championship. It is down to it being a few weeks into the season and him having to leave Burnley in the deep stuff.

We would be a great opportunity for him though. Aston Villa in the Championship with money to spend has a far higher ceiling that Burnley even with them in the top flight currently.

He ticks a number of boxes for me. Young, two recent promotions and his teams play decent football. He could really build something special here. It would send out a massive statement if we could get a manager currently managing in the top flight to drop down a division. Give the whole place a huge lift and show we mean business.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair I thought his stroke of genius was knowing that we'd played 2 games in 3 days with the same starting 11 and a very poor bench and he went with riding out the storm for an hour before bringing on 2 pacey wingers and ripping our tiring team to shreds 

if you can't see the tactical changes he made in the game vs us and how it changed the game to our dominance to their dominance then I can't help you but it was a massive swing

Doesn't change that their equaliser was a complete fluke. RDM changed formations and tactics during games, and didn't get flukes. 

Reality check time: changing managers makes, on average, almost no difference to a team's results after a very brief honeymoon period. We know this, statistically. Yes, there are exceptions. They're rare. Most of the time, changing managers makes no statistically significant difference. 

Wagner might be a genius, but he isn't a genius because he made a formation change and then a ball took a fluke bounce. That certainly isn't replicable genius, anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Actually Steve Bruce's record would indicate the absolute opposite is true. I can understand why some wouldn't want him, quite aside from the Blues thing, but let's not misrepresent his career as that of someone unable to turn around struggling clubs because it doesn't my withstand even the most basic of scrutiny.

There are certainly not 'plenty' of other candidates that offer a better chance of promotion.

There might be bigger, more exciting and glamours names out there and they may well be better than Bruce but they don't have his promotion track record.

I can't really see why Guidolin is a stand out candidate.

I haven't followed Bruce's career closely but I would be more than surprised if he took over a team in as much trouble as Sunderland were in last season with a squad as poor as they had and managed to turn them around while up against the same level of competition they were facing.

He might have a track record of promotions but there are so many other factors which come into play. My impression is he doesn't have the necessary qualities to turn us around and that is more solid to me than any past record.

If we are willing to expand our net further there certainly would be plenty of candidates who offered a better chance of promotion. Championship and promotion experience is not high on my list of priorities for a new manager. 

Guidolin is a standout candidate because I see a lot of the qualities necessary in him to turn us around and the potential to push on under him also.

Edited by Michael118

12 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Wagner would be a huge risk. The guy has only managed for 44 games 

Exactly this, he's done nothing yet. I think it's just new kid on the block syndrome / latest flash in the pan..who knows how he will turn out long term.

40.9% win ratio after 44 Games is nothing..Di Matteo & Sherwood had more wins at that stage.

Lee Clarke won 48.9% of his 178 Huddersfield matches, but then look what happened at Small Heath & Blackpool. I think we need a wise head, someone who's been there and done it all and come out the other side with some credit. Whilst there can be mitigating circumstances for poor stints at basket case clubs, if you look over the longer term these things tend to average themselves out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well not really as I have no bias towards Bruce. 

You sure ?

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Still Steve Bruce for me. I had no idea who Wagner is until 48 hours ago. 

30 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said: