Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

I think he is like many of our signings over the years.....have the talent, not the application or drive to capitalise on that talent.

In the main for many seasons.........We have been obsessed with talent and partially blind to character...... so the talent has never been applied properly.

Saved us from relegation in his first season, was injured for most of the next, and scored ten goals last season in about twenty appearances without which we wouldn't have been promoted. He's been one of our best signings since we were relegated and well worth the money we paid for him, his main problem has been injuries.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think he is like many of our signings over the years.....have the talent, not the application or drive to capitalise on that talent.

In the main for many seasons.........We have been obsessed with talent and partially blind to character...... so the talent has never been applied properly.

He has had two bad injuries that have reduced his effectiveness. In 16/17 he looked a decent lower end prem striker way he was finishing the chances.

Will probably be moved on in January unless he scores a few before then.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He has had two bad injuries that have reduced his effectiveness. In 16/17 he looked a decent lower end prem striker way he was finishing the chances.

Will probably be moved on in January unless he scores a few before then.

I get the injuries bit, and its difficult for a lay men like us to truly evaluate the damage done.

equally plenty of players have had bad injuries and resumed their form.....I guess it can affect pace, so if a player relies on that, he could have a reasonable argument.

I have always had a mixed view on him.....love his talent not convinced by his application.

Not consistent enough.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, New_Hope said:

Whilst Kodjia has a hole in his arse, he will never be a premier league standard striker!

I'd actually keep Wesley in and play Kodjia out wide, give us a bit more unpredictability and that could help Wesley.

Would go front 3 of Trez-Wesley-Kodjia and then if Jack isn't around have Jota floating off the front 3. Newcastle will sit back and just ping long diagonals up to their quick front players so it's up to us to seize the game as it's one we really need to win.

And you never know Steve Bruce might come in with a bid for him in January!

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'd actually keep Wesley in and play Kodjia out wide, give us a bit more unpredictability and that could help Wesley.

Would go front 3 of Trez-Wesley-Kodjia and then if Jack isn't around have Jota floating off the front 3. Newcastle will sit back and just ping long diagonals up to their quick front players so it's up to us to seize the game as it's one we really need to win.

And you never know Steve Bruce might come in with a bid for him in January!

If you want the wide position to stop working completely then yeah sure throw kodjia out there.

Think bruce realised that he made mistakes with his signings at Villa apart from Mcginn, that's why he's not been in for any of the ones he worked with when he had chance too at Wednesday or Newcastle.

15 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

If you want the wide position to stop working completely then yeah sure throw kodjia out there.

Think bruce realised that he made mistakes with his signings at Villa apart from Mcginn, that's why he's not been in for any of the ones he worked with when he had chance too at Wednesday or Newcastle.

Bruce never signed him mate. 

On 21/11/2019 at 03:46, TRO said:

I get the injuries bit, and its difficult for a lay men like us to truly evaluate the damage done.

equally plenty of players have had bad injuries and resumed their form.....I guess it can affect pace, so if a player relies on that, he could have a reasonable argument.

I have always had a mixed view on him.....love his talent not convinced by his application.

Not consistent enough.

Injuries can really set you back. Not that you don't return, but they hinder progress.

A few hundred days without honing your technical skills or being able to work on fitness, then you're behind.

Then there's other potential elements like how well the body recovers, psychological etc..

I don't know with JK, I'd like to see how he fares in the PL. He has reasonable technique and technical ability.

His close control isn't special but definitely adequate to find himself space and take on opponents when required.

He's also got a gung-ho shoot first ask questions later approach, which can be frustrating for teammates but equally for opposition.

In terms of physicality he has a good balance between agility, pace, strength, height, vertical leap and coordination.

I rate him higher than most strikers that I saw in the 2nd division.

Unfortunately for JK I think he's been a late bloomer, I read that he was unable to impose himself in those initial pro years even in the French 3rd tier.

15 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Injuries can really set you back. Not that you don't return, but they hinder progress.

A few hundred days without honing your technical skills or being able to work on fitness, then you're behind.

Then there's other potential elements like how well the body recovers, psychological etc..

I don't know with JK, I'd like to see how he fares in the PL. He has reasonable technique and technical ability.

His close control isn't special but definitely adequate to find himself space and take on opponents when required.

He's also got a gung-ho shoot first ask questions later approach, which can be frustrating for teammates but equally for opposition.

In terms of physicality he has a good balance between agility, pace, strength, height, vertical leap and coordination.

I rate him higher than most strikers that I saw in the 2nd division.

Unfortunately for JK I think he's been a late bloomer, I read that he was unable to impose himself in those initial pro years even in the French 3rd tier.

those being the operative words.

as I said....those things you have written also apply to those players that do come back from injury and make a mark.

Edited by TRO

On 21/11/2019 at 17:48, Czechlad said:

I think if Kodjia had the same minutes Wesley has had, Kodjia would have at least the same amount of goals

but maybe the team wouldn't have the same amount of goals?

would Kodjia have acted/sacrificed himself as a decoy as well as Wes did for John McGinns goal against Spurs?

Edited by TRO

On 21/11/2019 at 20:10, TRO said:

those being the operative words.

as I said....those things you have written also apply to those players that do come back from injury and make a mark.

Â