Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

On 25/11/2019 at 14:23, El-Reacho said:

How does anybody know given that he's never actually started as a striker under Smith?

Because he has never actually started as a striker under Smith. 

Love the guy but the gaffer obviously doesn't fancy him. That's that. 

• Like 2

On 25/11/2019 at 23:01, TRO said:

I agree, lots of players , not just forwards, can step up, but lots equally can't.

You have to have the right ingredients in your armoury......I don't think he has.

Sometimes it's who you know, not what you know, when it comes to making the step up.

Having the confidence of your coach and team means that plans are tailored to include you, whereas when your on the fringes, you've really got to punch above the current weight.

Kodjia has been our best striker aside from Tammy for some time. No one comes close really. I'm not chiming in on the debate as to whether he should play ahead of Wes.

I just think his age and some of his tendencies, like tunnel vision, are going to work against him. Clubs so often have mandates to play what they believe to be the future of the club.

“I feel Jonathan Kodjia’s game is more suited to the Premier League than it was the Championship. I think he can be a big player for us this season. Those were Smith's words on the eve of the season. 

I'm not a fan of Kodija myself but decisions should be made on what's best for the team and just having a player upfront capable of trapping a ball would improve everyone else's performance.

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 3

For all his faults, at least Kidjia get's at the end of crosses and is a genuine threat in the box.

He may not work as hard off the ball but he would offer us more at the moment. And his first touch and ball control are miles ahead of Wes.

• Like 2

I think a deals in place for January and the club are keen for Kodjia not to pick up an injury ahead of this.

3 million towards a new striker and Kodjia off the wage books.

I also think we would potentially be a lot weaker with Kodjia in the side, although giving him 20 minutes at the end of games would perhaps be an idea. He's a very lazy player and doesn't put himself about as much as Wesley does. Granted in his first season he was superb, but injuries have changed his game.

• Like 1

On 04/12/2019 at 21:31, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Because he has never actually started as a striker under Smith. 

Love the guy but the gaffer obviously doesn't fancy him. That's that. 

If DS doesn't fancy him why is he on the bench? If he isn't seen as a viable alternative then until Davies is fit Archer needs to be on the bench.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

For all his faults, at least Kidjia get's at the end of crosses and is a genuine threat in the box.

He may not work as hard off the ball but he would offer us more at the moment. And his first touch and ball control are miles ahead of Wes.

As hard as who Wesley?

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I think a deals in place for January and the club are keen for Kodjia not to pick up an injury ahead of this.

This is also my suspicion. Maybe there isn't a specific deal, but it seems obvious that a decision has been made to offload him in January.

Which, if true, means we will be very light up front, and might even need to get two attackers in. 

Â