Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

31 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I wouldn’t say Kodj had that much effort. At one point in first half, he was trying to win a pen, stayed on the floor for ages and then didn’t try to get back inside when we had possession back. 

That incident annoyed me. Pure petulance. 

So last night we saw all 3 Kodjia's.

Kodjia 1 - Overplaying Kodjia - First 10 minutes pulled all his tricks out each time he got the ball, tried to take on 2-3 players each time. Didn't look up to pass to teammates and wanted to do it all on his own.

Kodjia 2 - 2016/17 Kodjia - Up until around the 50th minute mark the Kodjia of old came out. His running was fantastic (although he still has a tendency to be offside), a striker running the channels is something we miss and the outball we were able to play at times really helped us. Both goals came from his desire to get on the scoresheet.

Kodjia 3 - Lazy Kodjia - From the 50th minute onwards he turned back into the lazy player that he has been in recent times. Not prepared to press, not prepared to get back and it was inevitable that Wesley deserved a run out.

If we can get him playing like Kodjia 2 week in week out then we could be onto something for the next few games, unfortunately it's unlikely we will get him playing like that on a consistent basis.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

If we can get him playing like Kodjia 2 week in week out then we could be onto something for the next few games, unfortunately it's unlikely we will get him playing like that on a consistent basis.

Wesley has been doing nothing for about 10 games. If Kodjia can be good 2/10 games it would already be an improvement.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Kodjia 1 - Overplaying Kodjia - First 10 minutes pulled all his tricks out each time he got the ball, tried to take on 2-3 players each time. Didn't look up to pass to teammates and wanted to do it all on his own.

Kodjia 2 - 2016/17 Kodjia - Up until around the 50th minute mark the Kodjia of old came out. His running was fantastic (although he still has a tendency to be offside), a striker running the channels is something we miss and the outball we were able to play at times really helped us. Both goals came from his desire to get on the scoresheet.

Kodjia 3 - Lazy Kodjia - From the 50th minute onwards he turned back into the lazy player that he has been in recent times. Not prepared to press, not prepared to get back and it was inevitable that Wesley deserved a run out.

agree with 1 + 2 but i'm going to put 3 down to being knackered due to very little game time

• Like 2

Andy Townsend in the 1st half said we had 2 great balls along the 6 yard box and Kodjia was walking into the box - that's the difference.  He did well to get his 2(/3) goals, but when he has the chance to add more, he doesn't.

Frustrating player. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Andy Townsend in the 1st half said we had 2 great balls along the 6 yard box and Kodjia was walking into the box - that's the difference.  He did well to get his 2(/3) goals, but when he has the chance to add more, he doesn't.

Frustrating player. 

for me that's not a difference, i see exactly the same with wes. we definitely need a striker, but if kodj and wes can push each other along till Jan then that will hopefully get us some points before then

15 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

for me that's not a difference, i see exactly the same with wes. we definitely need a striker, but if kodj and wes can push each other along till Jan then that will hopefully get us some points before then

I'd argue that Wes tries to get in front of his marker in the 6 yard box much more than Kodjia does.  His goals against Arsenal, Everton and Norwich suggest that.  

Wes is no where near perfect, but I'd say Wes attacks the 6 yard space more than Kodjia does.  That tap in he missed against.. I've lost it.. about 4 games ago and the keeper pulled off a decent save.. Was it Newcastle?  That's another where he attacked the 6 yard box. 

If you are comparing JoKo with Wes then you have to remember Wes is match fit whereas JoKo is not. I'd like to see JoKo after a run of games because I believe he would offer more in the current team if we got him back into shape.

PS: Arrogance and Selfishness are common trademarks of top goalscorers ! 

Edited by Paul33

5 hours ago, wilko154 said:

To be fair the game was won at that point no point chasing a goal, just make sure a clean was had to top the night off.

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Just found out he was credited a hat trick by Sky. Brilliant!

One can only speculate how many goals he would have if being our main striker from the start of the season.

Probably 3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not a fan of Kodjia at all tbh. He hasn't been the same since that Injury and has lost a yard of pace.
However, he may well be our best option at the moment. He still makes fairly intelligent runs and gets into good goalscoring positions. After his performance in the week, he deserves a shot against Southampton. Like another posted said, it couldnt get much worse than Wesley at the moment. 

On 18/12/2019 at 13:05, zab6359 said:

To be fair the game was won at that point no point chasing a goal, just make sure a clean was had to top the night off.

Think there was an element of not embarrassing Liverpools kids as well. The game was won at half time, seemed to me as if they were asked to take it easy in the 2nd half, hence the constant passing around the back and back to the keeper when there were other options. 

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Think there was an element of not embarrassing Liverpools kids as well. The game was won at half time, seemed to me as if they were asked to take it easy in the 2nd half, hence the constant passing around the back and back to the keeper when there were other options. 

Tbf though Kodjia isn't on this planet. He probably thought it was Liverpool's first team :D

Â