Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It wasn't even his man, it was Engels'. He came up from behind him. You expect him to have eyes on the back of his head or something?

He ran off hourihane who was marking him into the near post where kodjia was, should have cleared it but far too slow

Edited by rbcuk

Just now, rbcuk said:

He ran off hourihane who was marking him into the near post where kodjia was neither had a clue

You're right it was Hourihane, now I remember. Looked like Kodjia was marking the space in front of the front post. Ball went over his head so it was on Hourihane to mark Mane and deal with it (not who I would have picked, but he didn't even pick him up anyway).

With his recent facial injury & wearing protective mask  , Psychologically we can’t expect him to defend properly & stay tight on Mane & go for the ball .. probably like an earlier poster said he’s brought on to keep the ball & slow down the game . But don’t think his skill , tricks & speed is up to premiership level fir this task 

54 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

I want him sold in Jan. I just don't have a good feeling about him anymore. He reminds me of Gabby in his last few years where he is just going through the motions 

I've never been convinced he's good enough for this level on the basis that he hardly distinguished himself as a top player in the Championship, even in his first season here where he scored a good amount of goals you could see his limitations.

Ultimately he's here due to resources, we clearly tried to sign another forward in the summer and there was also a lot of rumours about Kodjia being on his way out but since we couldn't secure that forward he has stayed. I'd be surprised if we don't sign another forward in January and I do expect Kodjia to be moved on if we do.

I don't think he's a bad player but he's not cut out for this level, he''d be well advised to find a top flight club in a weaker league, could certainly do a job in Belgium, Holland, China, UAE etc.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

29 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've never been convinced he's good enough for this level on the basis that he hardly distinguished himself as a top player in the Championship, even in his first season here where he scored a good amount of goals you could see his limitations.

Ultimately he's here due to resources, we clearly tried to sign another forward in the summer and there was also a lot of rumours about Kodjia being on his way out but since we couldn't secure that forward he has stayed. I'd be surprised if we don't sign another forward in January and I do expect Kodjia to be moved on if we do.

I don't think he's a bad player but he's not cut out for this level, he''d be well advised to find a top flight club in a weaker league, could certainly do a job in Belgium, Holland, China, UAE etc.

I agree with all of that. 

Hindsight and all that, and the fact that RHM scored yesterday but I kinda wish we'd sold Kodjia when we had a bid and kept RHM around instead.

Even with Davis now injured I still don't feel Kodjia has what it takes anymore, not at this level.

If there is another bid in January, take it and run.

Poor. Be it in January or the summer, he won't be here for the start of next season. Irrelevant of what league we are in. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The most idiotic and blatant red card. Reckless and pure stupid.Kodjia isn't the same player since his injury. Get rid of him in January please deano

20191103_085907.jpg

At least he tried to get there.

38 minutes ago, useless said:

Saved us from relegation to league one and played a big part in us getting promoted last season. Gets way more criticism than he deserves.

I must have missed the big part he played last season. 

I find it difficult to criticise Kodjia. He’s been nowhere near his best since suffering multiple injuries but I still have fond memories of his goals in the championship. He scored some amazing goals in his first season, and was one of the only bright sparks as we had little to shout about. He scored some useful goals last season too. The winner at home to Milwall as we made it ten in a row, and the brace against Brentford stand out. When fit and on form he was always capable of pulling something from nowhere, an audacious bit of dribbling skill or a shot when none looked possible. 

We’re now in a different position, and we need so much more than he can give us. It’s a shame but his time has come. I’d have liked to have him at his best as an option off the bench, but it seems his best is just a memory now. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The most idiotic and blatant red card. Reckless and pure stupid.Kodjia isn't the same player since his injury. Get rid of him in January please deano

20191103_085907.jpg

If the header had not gone in it would likely been given a penalty with VAR.

Â