Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

It’s my view that Like many in our team he suffers a little from expectations.

He is indeed flawed....but if he wasn’t he’d be playing in the Premier League. A guy with the potential to score a lot of goals but who had a good all round game wouldn’t be at a Championship Club.

Id compare it to doubts about Chester’s command of the defence, Hourihane lack of vision, and so on.

When I look at players at other Clubs I don’t see fully rounded strikers, or complete defenders. Why would we have them ?

Take Saturday. I ask myself would I rather have Kodja in our side or in Bolton’s ? Would the Bolton fans rather he played for them ? Or is it 50:50 ?

For me I like him in our side, I think his threat is decent enough. If I look at us as a whole I like a line up with him Tammy, Jack, McGinn and Albert / El Ghazi / a fit Bolasie, it’s got pace, trickery, craft, aggression, and goals.

Im sure there’s better choices out there somewhere, there always is, but there’s nothing about that attacking unit that would concern me.....and I think if kept as such we will see plenty threat and goals from all of them.

Personally I think Kodja would benefit from thinking a bit less. I’d be happy for him to be selfish as a first instinct coming in from that position, rather than ‘trying’ to choose correctly. The assists would flow naturally in my view, whereas I don’t see it working as well the other way around.

I get that terry.....sooner have him at our club than someone elses.

I think Dean will work on him, like he's doing with Jack.

all takes time

• Like 1

I don't think Kodjia fits DS's style. He is far too lazy to run around pressing the opposition. I didn't see him get anywhere near them against Bolton and our whole team suffered as a result. Best selling him off and getting someone in who can perform that role better. 

39 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't think Kodjia fits DS's style. He is far too lazy to run around pressing the opposition. I didn't see him get anywhere near them against Bolton and our whole team suffered as a result. Best selling him off and getting someone in who can perform that role better. 

Surely if a new coach wants him to do something he’s not previously done it’d make more sense to see whether that coach can get a song out of him that meets his requirements ?

Ive never seen anything to suggest JK is lazy......I’d say he lacks game awareness. But he certainly wouldn’t be alone amongst strikers if his biggest weakness was tracking back/ pressing.

I wouldn’t want to get rid of a potentially devastating player because of a possibility that he might not work the system properly.

Mind you, he needs to recover the ‘ potentially devastating’ part. But on that score, without getting all anti Bruce, we have a large number of players who have appeared to perform less and less well in recent months, and who knows ? New coaching may rectify much of that for most of them.

Edited by terrytini

On 04/11/2018 at 22:50, VillanousOne said:

he has already looked better under Smith, he is a player that can make things happen.

The season before he got injured he scored 19 goals, and there was some delightful ones amongst them.....not so sure about that, yet.

• Like 2

Its part and parcel of a professional footballers game to adapt to whats being asked of you.

players that go to lots of clubs under lots of managers, that's what they do

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TRO said:

Its part and parcel of a professional footballers game to adapt to whats being asked of you.

players that go to lots of clubs under lots of managers, that's what they do

The greater the understanding for various roles and ability to execute in them, the greater the player, because the player becomes familiar with the challenges of each role and can play accordingly. As long as the player avoids being a jack of all trades, master of none. With a good attitude it should only add to a players repertoire.

I don't see Kodjia as lazy at all. I think he's one of our best competitors. He is constantly wrestling defenders with the ball at his feet and coming out on top, where others would yield of flop. Kodjia holds his ground and usually comes out of the contest better than his opponent. Likewise when he is running at a defense, it's his competitive attitude that keeps defense guessing and on their toes.

If he had a bit more finesse about  him he'd be very dangerous and probably playing at the top level. He's got the aggression and attitude that forces a contest at every opportunity. Sometimes that's enough to make it happen.

That decision to play in Abraham against Bolton was really encouraging to see. Tammy misplaced the ball and the attack came to nothing but to see Kodjia have the trust, if not confidence, to play in a teammate better positioned was a good sign.

• Like 3

Â