The Championship thread

TrentVilla

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Just 5 points separating 1st and 11th. The league is so tight that SHA are ostensibly in a promotion race despite being gash :lol: . Best league.

It’s great, I kind of miss it.

I’m far more interested in it now than I was before we went down.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It’s great, I kind of miss it.

I’m far more interested in it now than I was before we went down.

I think yesterday was the first time I missed it. When we have to now play teams who have several players who would individually cost more than our whole squad, it does make me miss heading in to any game knowing we can get a result. Still, the other teams probably felt similar when they had to play us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

They've got no squad it's incredible. I just don't think they'll have enough for top 2. Would love them to get up.

Their only big buy in the last few years is Tom Bayliss who can't even make the bench.

You sure? Their midfield options are among the best in the league, Ben Pearson, DJ, Alan Browne are all pretty good midfielders in the league and they've got o.k back up. Andre Green is barely making the bench atm.

Most of those have been penalties, for some reason PNE were playing him last season as a DM. This season he's been back as the breaker into the box, much better in a McGinn style role.

Yes Bristol City is another I wouldn't mind seeing in the prem. Looking to improve on their "disappointing" 3-0 loss to Luton just 8 days ago.

QPR also got an interesting team. I've always rated Mark Warburton as a manager, he seemed to get sacked from Rangers for simply not finishing above Celtic which is a bit stupid considering they were only back in the SPL at that point.

Edited by VillaChris

6 hours ago, useless said:

I don't want Bristol City to get promoted because of this tweet after Bryan turned us down to join Fulham...

'Premier league calling'

They were losing one of their best players at the time if not the best, yet were more interesting in making fun of us.

Never seen that one before, even some of the replies from their fans couldn't really understand why them glorifing selling a player.

Fair play to them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-50199672

Nottingham Forest donated 3,000 food parcels to the homeless after a game was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

The Saturday match against Reading FC had to be postponed because heavy rain had left the City Ground pitch unplayable.

Instead of letting the pies, pasties and sandwiches go to waste, the club decided to give it to Framework, a homeless charity based in Nottingham.

It is the second time it has happened.

Fans praised the move, with one saying: "I love what this club has become - it's every bit as important as what happens on the pitch as far as I'm concerned."

Another added: "Well done all at NFFC! A kind gesture that puts a bit of faith back into Human kindness."

• Like 3

Brentford were really good again tonight, think this is the season when they finish in the top 6. Usually start off seasons slow but they're in form nice and early and are so good to watch when they click on the counter attack. Good win at QPR who themselves are in strong form.

The fact we could have gone second on Sunday with a win is somewhat miraculous.

5 first team starters injured long term. One of them potentially for the season.

Our best player this season has been an 18 year old who was expected to get some time, but not to be starting week in, week out. As a result he's looked a bit tired the last few games, followed by a CB who was on loan at Southend last season and while a number of their fans said they wouldn't mind him joining permanently, he also wasn't someone they'd want the club to push the boat out to sign.

Granted Moore signed from Lens for about £2m, but an unsuccessful spell at Cheltenham before his time at Southend had more than a few saying he wasn't good enough, and now he's filling the shoes of Adam Webster!

Nagy probably would be our best player this season if he hadn't injured himself scoring (on his home debut I think) and then exacerbating it when returning from injury by playing for Hungary.

Predicting right now that Massengo will win young player of the year for the end of season club awards.

Edit- forgot that Moore also went off injured at half time on Sunday.

It's hoped he will be back for Friday though.

Diedhiou is also suspended, so our current strikers are Semenyo, a kid with a lot of potential but has never scored for us, Rodri, signed as an emergency free transfer, and Weimann.

Edited by JamesBCFC

2 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Not sure how legal their stance of take a pay cut or we will sack you is... 

Not that I mind then sacking him. Never liked him!

It's likely a contract extension with a lower pay but goes 3-4 years vs his high paid salary for another 1.5 years. 

I am not sure which one is better. Keogh won't be able to play till basically 2021 when his contract is up, and I doubt there will be any clubs after him even on a free. But signing a 3-4 year deal on a lower pay because makes sure he at least has a chance at playing for Derby again once he comes back from his injury and he keeps collecting pay while having access to their facilities. 

It looks a shit PR story for Derby especially with Rooney joining in January who also has a drink/drive record. 

Sacking a guy with no drink/drive record yet having 3 on the books with a record

I still dont follow what happened with the crash. Derby seem to be using that as their reasoning for sacking him but then say he wasnt driving, the driver was drunk as was another passenger. 

I really dont get it.

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I still dont follow what happened with the crash. Derby seem to be using that as their reasoning for sacking him but then say he wasnt driving, the driver was drunk as was another passenger. 

I really dont get it.

I suspect this is a financial decision - slap on the wrist for playing assets, sack the long term injured drain on wages. Cynical perhaps... Think this might end up being fought - going to be hard to explain the differing punishments other than their value to the club right now.

Â