The Championship thread

TrentVilla

On the face of it this decision seems wrong, certainly morally, but Derby clearly believe they’ve legal grounds to make it.

The most logical explanation I can think of is that the players have clauses in their contract relating to non football injuries which would make sense. I remember Ian Wright saying it was in his contract he could ride his motorbikes for instance when at Arsenal.

So it is entirely possible that he through his actions was in breach of contract therefore giving Derby the option of this course of action. When you think about it why should they pay him for the next 12 months when he is unavailable due to a non football related injury in part caused by his own actions. Clubs sack players when they are unavailable for other reasons such as a prison sentence.

What makes this unpalatable though is them standing by the other two because they aren’t injured and because they have a value.

I do think that is hypocrisy and I think that is likely to see this challenged legally.

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

On the face of it this decision seems wrong, certainly morally, but Derby clearly believe they’ve legal grounds to make it.

The most logical explanation I can think of is that the players have clauses in their contract relating to non football injuries which would make sense. I remember Ian Wright saying it was in his contract he could ride his motorbikes for instance when at Arsenal.

So it is entirely possible that he through his actions was in breach of contract therefore giving Derby the option of this course of action. When you think about it why should they pay him for the next 12 months when he is unavailable due to a non football related injury in part caused by his own actions. Clubs sack players when they are unavailable for other reasons such as a prison sentence.

What makes this unpalatable though is them standing by the other two because they aren’t injured and because they have a value.

I do think that is hypocrisy and I think that is likely to see this challenged legally.

If reports are correct Keogh was the only person in the car NOT wearing a seat belt, wonder if that has anything to do with it in terms of if he was wearing one he probably wouldn't have destroyed his knee? (Or at least got as badly injured)

Weird though as it's a weak argument when someone else was driving drunk and just as culpable, if not more so, would make more sense if they sacked Keogh and the driver, currently seems a bit.....weird.

33 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If reports are correct Keogh was the only person in the car NOT wearing a seat belt, wonder if that has anything to do with it in terms of if he was wearing one he probably wouldn't have destroyed his knee? (Or at least got as badly injured)

Weird though as it's a weak argument when someone else was driving drunk and just as culpable, if not more so, would make more sense if they sacked Keogh and the driver, currently seems a bit.....weird.

But the crucial part of fitness. I don’t know but my assumption is that it’s given them the chance to cancel Keogh’s contract because he is unavailable due to non football behaviour thus in breach of contract. The other two will have broken behaviour rules but are still available, therefore haven’t broken their contract. Had they been jailed then they would have been sacked.

That’s my reading of it anyway.

Good grief. How do they do it?

Didn't know Brentford had signed Halil Dervisoglu. Really good young forward.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him sneak into the Turkey squad. 

Increases chances of Watkins or Benrahma leaving in January I'd say.

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He's paid more than the 2, he's now injured, there was a rumour yesterday they wanted him to sign a reduced pay contract

Then there was also a rumour that the club drug tested the 3 of them... 

derbyyyyyy.jpg.021d476f281eb4e8f55dd0b91 

that suspicious looking packet near the passenger door ( to the right of the bottle) wouldn't help

Over the last couple of weeks numerous teams have had the chance to move into the top two with victories but apart from Preston last weekend they all seem to be throwing points away, Bristol City the latest tonight drawing with Barsnley after being 2-0 up with nineteen minutes to go, I only watched the second half but they looked really poor could hardly string any passes together and seemed to be constantly hoofing it forward, spent a lot of money in the summer as well.

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

No shock that he was a disaster as I said it would be when he was first appointed. 

Job was too big for him. I think hughton might fancy it

No shock if it happened a few weeks ago, havnt they won a few on the bounce the last few weeks? 

4 hours ago, useless said:

Over the last couple of weeks numerous teams have had the chance to move into the top two with victories but apart from Preston last weekend they all seem to be throwing points away, Bristol City the latest tonight drawing with Barsnley after being 2-0 up with nineteen minutes to go, I only watched the second half but they looked really poor could hardly string any passes together and seemed to be constantly hoofing it forward, spent a lot of money in the summer as well.

If we just missed out on promotion, we would've walked the league this year. Glad we don't have to slug it out in that scrap heap anymore.

12 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

No shock if it happened a few weeks ago, havnt they won a few on the bounce the last few weeks? 

They did have two good wins away to Swansea and very convincing 2-0 win over Fulham.

Haven't back it up since, lost 1-0 at Sheff Weds and were dismal at Millwall by all accounts.

One thing I can't understand is why they let him take the week's training and then sacked him on the Friday afternoon?

Didn't actually realise they weren't playing until Monday but still that's another game you're likely just to write off now.

When new manager is appointed Stoke will have 30 games left, going to have to win 12-13 of them to be pretty confident of staying up so you're talking not far off a 50% winning ratio needed already.

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Fulham should be hitting 100pts as standard.

Even Bruce would run away with the league with that team. Parker has the ultimate dream first job and he is binning it atm.

No chance.

We've seen what he does with a good team in that league. Men behind the ball, no tactics, hardly a formation. Play on break and hope individuals win you the match.

They'd probably win some matches, but they wouldn't he running away with the league.

Quite insane how bad Stoke have gone. Three years ago they were a top half PL team with players like Shaqiri, Arnautovic and Afellay (what a waste of a talent) turning out for them. The season we went down without a whimper they finished 9th for the third consecutive year. They were never good enough to challenge the top six but were always decent and competitive. In the space of three years they've gone from that to serious relegation candidates in the Champ.

We looked more in trouble when we went down than when they did, but thankfully we managed our situation a lot better than they have. Players like Joe Allen and Jack Butland have seemingly massively declined. They could still stay up if a new manager can get a tune out of some of their better players but they're in big trouble that's for sure. Don't see them being back in the Prem any time soon.

Looks like it's all agreed and he's going to sign a four year deal, but won't start with them until he's managed Northern Ireland in their two games over the international break. Seen a few people compare it to Sunderland when they appointed Coleman, not sure about that but quite risky giving it to someone with so little league experience given the position that they find themselves in. They need a result against Barnsley at the weekend.

• Like 1

Â