Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

He had an absolutely awful start to his Villa career that was then boosted by Bruce's arrival. He went on to have three or four solid games, largely using his head to win aerial battles. Since December started he's reverted back to his early starts (in fact, they're now looking like good performances in comparison!) and is an absolute liability.

He's supposed to be good in the air but he loses a lot of those too, or they're aimless.

He's supposed to be our strength in midfield but he gets pushed off the ball easily.

He's known to be slow, but I'd say he's easily the slowest player we've had on our pitch in a generation.

His passing is absolutely atrocious, in key areas like attack but worse still when defending.

Our midfield is a known problem and everyone has their views as to who the biggest culprit is. No one particularly wants any of our midfielders to stay but as it stands, for me, it has to be Westwood, Gardner then Jedinak in priority. Westwood has incredibly rarely put in the howlers of a performance either of the other two have. Gardner offers youth, eagerness if little skill. Jedinak offers nothing.

If we can only replace one player in January, it has to be him. I'd hoped after the summer that'd it'd be Westwood we'd be looking to improve on in January but, whatever your view of him, he's still our best midfielder - even if the bar is incredibly low. 

• Like 3

he is a poor mans Sanchez. good for a battle and at winning the ball but trust Sanchez more with it. Dont know why Palace were so sad to see him leave.

Maybe playing with a midfielder with an engine or a brain would suit him but not sure its worth the risk

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he is a poor mans Sanchez. good for a battle and at winning the ball but trust Sanchez more with it. Dont know why Palace were so sad to see him leave.

Maybe playing with a midfielder with an engine or a brain would suit him but not sure its worth the risk

He suffers from the same problems as Sanchez. That is, he looks to dump it off to his other central midfielder but sees the same static player trying to take up the same position - just like Sanchez did.

In the Australian squad he simply dumps it off to either Rogic, Mooy or Luongo who are far more mobile and creative than anything we have in the middle of the park.

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's great at winning the ball in front of the back 4. His passing is terrible. 

Needs a better midfield around him to make sure he doesn't need to do any passing!

Spot on. 

And as bad as his passing is at times, I'm 100% certain we would have lost a few more games without him. 

Immense in the air again last night, they gave up even trying to beat him from goal kicks and we clearly aimed for him every time. the only times he didn't win a header, he was fouled. 

I don't think Bacuna and Westwood helped much last night, he seemed to be away from the centre of the pitch quite a bit trying to plug gaps and he gets exposed with his lack of pace. 

He'll get stick on here regardless, but for all his faults he's a really important player for us at the moment. 

• Like 1

Not really the force I expected him to be at this level, woefully limited player, I'd like to think he won't be a regular come the end of Jan, he's a big reason why our midfield is so poor, yes he does the dirty work well but he is appalling at passing and keeping possession and has no forward pass in him.

Not sure about that Doc, I mean I know highlight videos can be deceiving, but I'm thinking maybe people are looking for a fall guy?

I don't think he's been 'amazing' since he got here, but he's much better than he's getting credit for. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Jedi has done more in a Villa shirt in the last 30 seconds of the video above, than Sanchez did in a whole season. 

The new scapegoat. 

Is Westwood the old scape goat then as I thought he was still the current whipping boy?

Sanchez had some good games, he and Jed are masters of the interception and can certainly tackle well, but they undo all that effort by then giving the ball away.

Sanchez isn't as slow as Jed though, even if his brain is. And Carlos doesn't have as many mediclorients.

Edited by VillanousOne

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

Is Westwood the old scape goat then as I thought he was still the current whipping boy?

Sanchez had some good games, he and Jed are masters of the interception and can certainly tackle well, but they undo all that effort by then giving the ball away.

Sanchez isn't as slow as Jed though, even if his brain is. And Carlos doesn't have as many mediclorients.

I think Westwood is in a new category of 'irrelevance' now. There are no sticks left to beat the guy with. 

It's the hyperbole that goes with the criticism of Jedi that does my head in, and it started far too early on in his Villa career. He's been more than decent for us in the past few weeks, yet a couple of poor games later and the knives are out again. It's not objective criticisms of his performance, it's the OTT stuff I don't get. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We missed him today. Regardless of my opinion on his ability, he adds something and should start. 

Definitely.

I agree with the criticism of the guy's passing. it's often wayward to be generous.

But he protects the back four well. That's undeniable. And we need someone who does that.

What we'd also benefit from hugely is some more quality alongside him so he doesn't have to be relied on to make passes he's not capable of.

• Like 3

I was pretty vocal about Jedinak before he signed. Just the sort of player we needed I thought and someone (was it hanoi??) kept banging on about passing stats. I still think the only thing I got wrong about him was the bit about us, the fans, taking him to our hearts. I thought he'd be appreciated by us like the palace fans love him. I still think he'll grow on us but I just hope he gets some help around him. He cant pass. He's never been amazing on the ball. But the Cardiff game kinda shows why he's here and that he's an effective player for us.

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I was pretty vocal about Jedinak before he signed. Just the sort of player we needed I thought and someone (was it hanoi??) kept banging on about passing stats. I still think the only thing I got wrong about him was the bit about us, the fans, taking him to our hearts. I thought he'd be appreciated by us like the palace fans love him. I still think he'll grow on us but I just hope he gets some help around him. He cant pass. He's never been amazing on the ball. But the Cardiff game kinda shows why he's here and that he's an effective player for us.

Yes, it was me. 

After five months or however long it has been, I can honestly say that his inability to pass it to a teammate is still intensely frustrating. Some of his passes, especially in the Leeds game, were absolutely astonishing in how poorly-targeted they were. 

However, I can see what value he brings to the team. In a rather weak, small team he is a big physical unit. He wins a lot of headers and his positioning is (mostly) pretty good, IMO. He would start every time for me in our current 'strongest' midfield. You can take that as as much of a recommendation as you want. 

If we go back up any time soon, though, I wouldn't want him starting in the PL. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, it was me. 

After five months or however long it has been, I can honestly say that his inability to pass it to a teammate is still intensely frustrating. Some of his passes, especially in the Leeds game, were absolutely astonishing in how poorly-targeted they were. 

However, I can see what value he brings to the team. In a rather weak, small team he is a big physical unit. He wins a lot of headers and his positioning is (mostly) pretty good, IMO. He would start every time for me in our current 'strongest' midfield. You can take that as as much of a recommendation as you want. 

If we go back up any time soon, though, I wouldn't want him starting in the PL. 

thought so, and I'm pretty sure I was agreeing with you at the time. (also reading that back the phrase 'banging on' sounds dismissive which wasn't the tone i was really going for, I wasn't calling you out....kudos if anything) 

I'm not trying to make a case for him being signing of the summer or anything. His performances overall have been pretty disappointing and I for one expected a bit more but the fact that we haven't had a midfielder like him for years imo and importantly - he was available at the time mean im still glad we signed him.

I also shudder to think what league position we would be in without him.

50 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

thought so, and I'm pretty sure I was agreeing with you at the time. (also reading that back the phrase 'banging on' sounds dismissive which wasn't the tone i was really going for, I wasn't calling you out....kudos if anything) 

I'm not trying to make a case for him being signing of the summer or anything. His performances overall have been pretty disappointing and I for one expected a bit more but the fact that we haven't had a midfielder like him for years imo and importantly - he was available at the time mean im still glad we signed him.

I also shudder to think what league position we would be in without him.

No worries mate, didn't bother me at all :thumb:

• Like 1

Â