Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

This is the sort of game where we can get away with him at CB as it's just heading the ball away for 90% of the game.

We were cut open once though with the shot off the post but that could've easily happened with John Terry on the pitch.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

This is the sort of game where we can get away with him at CB as it's just heading the ball away for 90% of the game.

We were cut open once though with the shot off the post but that could've easily happened with John Terry on the pitch.

I agree if this was against fulham he woukd havw been murdered.  Thankfully Jt is just a precaution. 

I thought he was superb today considering. 

Was horrified with the prospect of him at CB at the start of the game but it was the right decision. He's exactly the player you want in there if the our opponents are just going to be launching long balls up all night.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bottle Maker said:

Great awareness not rush to congratulate super Jack.

He did a similar thing against Small Heath after Gary Gardner's goal, the wily fox.

Related image

On 11/04/2018 at 14:24, Mantis said:

Was horrified with the prospect of him at CB at the start of the game

So many people seemed to think this. And again I see it as evidence that VT usually only remembers your last game.

Jedinak has played a few times at CB for us and he's been pretty decent every time, except for that one game (Sheff Utd?) which was the last time he played there before Tuesday night.

But because that Sheff game was a bad one for him everyone seems to think he's a disaster in that position.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I think he has played CB only 2-4 times for us. I think when he come sup against quick players he really does struggle but as Cardiff look to bully teams it was ideal game for him. i dont think he is great at CB to be honest. I prefer Samba at CB and have jedinak to come on later on in the game

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So many people seemed to think this. And again I see it as evidence that VT usually only remembers your last game.

Jedinak has played a few times at CB for us and he's been pretty decent every time, except for that one game (Sheff Utd?) which was the last time he played there before Tuesday night.

But because that Sheff game was a bad one for him everyone seems to think he's a disaster in that position.

I think you're partly right here.

The "problem" is that Jedinak has only ever been OK at centre back.  Never great, never bad, very much middle of the road - which is absolutely fine, it's not his best position.  However, when your last game at centre back is as terrible as his was against Sheff Utd plus you've never excelled in the position, people are naturally more wary of you playing that position again.

Cardiff suited him down to a tee.  He loves a battle and is great in the air - Cardiff love a battle and are great in the air.  Worked a charm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2018 at 04:35, 8pints said:

He did a similar thing against Small Heath after Gary Gardner's goal, the wily fox.

Only after he was told to by the world's most humble referee Mike Dean.

On 13/04/2018 at 08:30, Demitri_C said:

I think he has played CB only 2-4 times for us.

He's played 6 times as CB this season alone (granted some of those were sub appearances and/or position moves later in games). And I'm certain he had a spell at centreback last season as well.

So he's probably played a dozen times there for us.

As far as I can remember, apart from that shocker vs Sheff Utd, he's always done pretty well there. Inf act last season I remember Bruce discussing how well he'd done and that they'd spoken about Jedinak moving to CB in the twilight of his career.

5 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Only after he was told to by the world's most humble referee Mike Dean.

That was a really weird incident. And I'm still curious as to how that fits into the rules.

Obviously I'm chuffed that Dean told him to do that. But is that not a referee deliberately helping one team over another?

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That was a really weird incident. And I'm still curious as to how that fits into the rules.

Obviously I'm chuffed that Dean told him to do that. But is that not a referee deliberately helping one team over another?

That's how I'd see it but obviously Mike Dean doesn't agree.

If the worst happens and we don't go up, whats the thoughts on Jedinak moving permanently to CB.

If Terry moves back to Chelsea in coaching capacity we will need to use our player resources better in terms of FFP restrictions.

That would allow Whelan and Barny to share the defensive mid job. 

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I remember someone in the referee...alliance? maybe Graham Poll or whoever, saying that it was great refereeing to manage the game by reminding him of the rule, as if Blues had taken the kick and gone and scored there would be riots on and off the pitch.

Â