Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's his ability on the ball that is the most alarming - nothing to do with the manager, that.

Having him in a "balanced side" would likely mean he sits deepest of a central midfield trio and doesn't need to do anything other than protect.  Fine, but we're sacrificing attacking ability to accommodate that.

Based upon the games I've seen I don't think he is bad on the ball but in my view the manager does have an influence upon this.

We've essentially been playing with an exposed midfield that is obviously going to result in issues both in and out of possession.

Personally I will be delighted if we sacrifice some attacking players for a little more stability, that has been what I've been demanding these last few weeks of ridiculous Keegan style team selections. To my mind Jedinak was signed to be a deep sitting player to give protection and solidity I'm not going to complain if we use him that way under a manager that actually has some idea what he is doing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Based upon the games I've seen I don't think he is bad on the ball but in my view the manager does have an influence upon this.

We've essentially been playing with an exposed midfield that is obviously going to result in issues both in and out of possession.

Personally I will be delighted if we sacrifice some attacking players for a little more stability, that has been what I've been demanding these last few weeks of ridiculous Keegan style team selections. To my mind Jedinak was signed to be a deep sitting player to give protection and solidity I'm not going to complain if we use him that way under a manager that actually has some idea what he is doing.

He was absolutely woeful against Newcastle - probably the worst midfield display I've ever seen.  Couldn't hit an accurate ball for love nor money, it was terrible.

I agree that the manager sets us up incorrectly, but sitting back in this league doesn't particularly thrill me.  Jedinak behind 2 of Tshibola/Westwood/Gardner/Bacuna?  Hmmmm.  But yes, Jedinak was clearly bought to enforce the midfield.  I've been massively disappointed by him so far - both in terms of his "leadership" and ability.  I'm hoping he becomes a wholly different player went sat deep with people just in front of him.

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He was absolutely woeful against Newcastle - probably the worst midfield display I've ever seen.  Couldn't hit an accurate ball for love nor money, it was terrible.

I agree that the manager sets us up incorrectly, but sitting back in this league doesn't particularly thrill me.  Jedinak behind 2 of Tshibola/Westwood/Gardner/Bacuna?  Hmmmm.  But yes, Jedinak was clearly bought to enforce the midfield.  I've been massively disappointed by him so far - both in terms of his "leadership" and ability.  I'm hoping he becomes a wholly different player went sat deep with people just in front of him.

Our former manager managed to take some of the top scorers in the division and completely nullify their goal scoring ability, so I'm reserving judgment on all players signed at this point.

I'm not advocating sitting back I'm advocating having a solid base from which to attack, big difference between the two.

• Like 1

I don't like to be that guy and I take absolutely no pleasure from it but I think everyone was confused by the power of the beard and saw a good footballer where there was none.

On 02/10/2016 at 10:58, Risso said:

We can only go off what he's shown so far, and up to now he's been diabolical.  This year's Lescott.

Agreed. But there is a difference between commenting on how he is playing and writing him off and saying he can't do better.

Yes he has been disappointing but beyond that I'm reserving judgment until he is playing for someone that doesn't look like they won a raffle to be manager.

• Like 1

He has been crap so far, but what makes him look twice as bad is that we never have any proper off-the-ball movement from players (and haven't for years). As Trent alluded to if we had a manager setting us up properly, I think players would be in space for Jedinak to play the simple ball to, and he could focus on other areas which are more his game.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Absolutely spot on, that, IMO. With every single player in the side, I think there are more than enough signs that they are decent players at least for the league we're in (and I include the current scapegoat(s) in that). But we've really really not been set up well in a number of games. They just need getting hold of and getting organised, they need a bit more positional discipline and understanding of what their roles are. You cannot have too many "free role" players and that's what we've done. Trying to fit, at various times, 3 or 4 of McCormack, Ayew, Grealish, Kodjia etc. into the same team is a massive gamble leaving everyone else exposed. You need about 8 good competent labourers and a couple of 2 decorators to add some style and creativity. Anything else and the building collapses. RDM was unlucky in that Gueye went off to Everton when he wanted to keep him, and Jedinak is basically a sort of less capable replacement. Sit him in front of the back 4 in a midfield 3 or 4 and he'll be fine.

• Like 4

Australia captain Mile Jedinak believes the blame should be shared among the Aston Villa players for the sacking of Roberto Di Matteo.

The Italian was removed form the position this week after only 124 days in the job - the shortest reign of any permanent manager in the club's history, with the team having won only once in 11 English Championship matches this season.

The midfielder was in training with Australia in Jeddah ahead of their 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Saudi Arabia and Japan when Villa made the move.

"It's disappointing, but the manager's going to be the first to be put under pressure," Jedinak said.

"I'm not trying to shift responsibility - everybody needs to take a look at themselves and we need to rectify what's happened.

"Coming here and getting away from that environment for a bit, you can take a step back and think a bit clearer but it's never nice.

"I've experienced it a few times at club level, when a manager goes. It doesn't become any easier, but it's part and parcel."

Despite the sudden departure, Jedinak believes the club are heading in the right direction.

"We're a work in progress," he said.

"We're only a few positive results from turning it around and I've seen enough to know that we can get those results in a matter of games.

"It's going to be a challenge but one that you need to embrace, that I've definitely embraced."

Steve Clark, former assistant to Di Matteo has been installed as caretaker boss as the club searches for a permanent replacement, while the now former manager expressed his dismay at being let go in such a short time-frame.

“I am deeply disappointed to be leaving Aston Villa so soon," Di Matteo said in a statement.

“My coaching staff and I have worked tirelessly to rebuild the squad and I fully expect the players we have brought in to start delivering results in the weeks and months to come

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/10/05/jedinak-frustrated-after-di-matteo-firing

For some reason he has come in for stick for that. 

Nowt wrong that I can see? Pretty level headed, kinda hints at some frustration in the camp but also accepts responsibility. 

If he can play as good a game as he talks we will be fine. Fingers crossed it will come under a new manager.

Â