Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

In hindsight I agree, but at the time I thought that was good business and had high hopes. I can't knock the club for spending that on him now when I was all for it at the time. 

He could still turn a corner with a new manager though, if we rely on him to sit deeper and break up play, with minimal sprinting required, then make shorter intelligent passes he could work?

Think that is right  - accept his limitations and utilize his strengths while we have to. I don't think he has got the legs for playing in a two-man midfield. Just utilize him as an out and out defensive sitting midfielder in a three (maybe with Tish and perhaps  Lyden either side).

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

I was putting such a lot of faith in this player.....as I seen him as such a central figure to addressing our problems.

I seen him as a big plus in giving us some "presence" in midfield.....sadly it does not seem to be working out....albeit early.

just hope we can get this bit right.....soon.

32 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

But why do the Palace fans talk so highly of him - that's the bit I don't understand. 

He probably, was doing it at one time.

as they say yesterdays news is todays chip paper....players move in and out of form and then when they get older they lose it.....also wholehearted ,full on players usually get worn out sooner.....victim of circumstance

hope that is not the case, but suspect it could be.

l have been disappointed so far, because i was looking for so much from him.

• Like 1

Oh my, the Jedinak thread has become an especially depressing wing of the creaky, drafty busted mansion that is Villatalk (and perhaps Villa too?)  Not that I blame any of the fine souls here.  It's our hope that makes us so exhausted.  But, Jesus, it's like a wake in this thread.  RIP our coltish dreams of his bearded virility.

Or... maybe... just maybe... very, very few players shine when a side is in trouble.  The past four or five games have been awful.  Probably would have been with our without Jedinak.  Bringing solidity to a side with a propensity to choke is a real challenge.  Doing so as an ageing new signing magnifies that.  The current reality of this signing seems almost comically typical, if not symbolic, of Villa at this moment.  But maybe it feels worse than it really is.  I have three thoughts:

1.  Players have to adapt their style as they age.  I don't know Jedinak too well, but maybe the blood and thunder approach we thought we may be getting is something he's no longer capable of doing consistently.  So he has to adapt.  Which takes a while.  And is not ideal when the team surrounding you is unsettled.

2.  If this is the case, playing him properly in a three man midfield, particularly with the energy of Tshibola, may allow him to focus on his essentials.  We haven't really tried this yet.

3.  Sometimes 'big' signings simply don't work.  It happens.  Look at Oumar Niasse.  I'm often surprised how often I'll browse a club's transfer activity and see a 5.6 million signing from Feyenoord or Nantes that never made it onto the pitch.  It happens.  I know we really need Jedinak to work, but at the very least we have some promising young midfielders who can, and perhaps must, deputise.

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

How?

his attitude seems different than it did a few years back. Maybe hes just lost his drive/hunger. Maybe the 'Villa effects' have taken over. 

5 hours ago, KSV said:

his attitude seems different than it did a few years back. Maybe hes just lost his drive/hunger. Maybe the 'Villa effects' have taken over. 

Or maybe the team has been set up so poorly tactically that he has not yet been able to show us the form he is capable of...

Well that is what i'm hoping anyway :unsure:

He's played 6 games. 

The manager got 12/13 before we wrote him off, let's at least be consistent. 

Can't people just stick to slagging Westwood off for a few more weeks and at least give Jedi a tiny bit of slack? 

Off to the Australia / Japan game tonight. As I said earlier, I will try, quite possibly in vain, to get Jedi to sign my Villa shirt. It is a bit of a downer that he hasn't been up to expectations, but I have always been a fan of him. I am confident he will make his presence known tonight. I am just wishing he could play well for Villa.

• Like 1

Interesting piece on Jedi ahead of Australia's clash with Japan:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/socceroos-v-japan-burning-questions-as-ange-postecoglou-looks-for-first-win-over-blue-samurai/news-story/ff3e7bf2a77bee1abaa6062c26482b9d

MILE v MILLSY

It’s simply not in Postecoglou’s DNA to play conservatively.

“It’s not part of what we do, we try to play our football a certain way,” he said on Monday.

“If we’re behind, we try get back into the game.

“If we’re in front, we try and get further in front.

“There’s no thought of consolidating.”

So where does that leave Mark Milligan and Mile Jedinak?

He can squeeze both into the team by playing Milligan at right back again, but a more traditional right back option Ryan McGowan is tipped to come back into the XI against the prowess of the Japanese.

However, Milligan has become Postecoglou’s go-to man, and has played in all eight 2016 matches.

Does that put him head-to-head with Jedinak for one midfield spot?

Jedinak was deployed in the holding midfield role in the 2-2 in Saudi Arabia, while Milligan played that part in the 1-0 win with Jedinak under an injury cloud.

In all facets of the game, Milligan’s metrics measure up ahead of Jedinak’s in a head-to-head comparison of those performances playing the same position.

There’s no doubt the Baniyas midfielder is more adroit in possession than the Aston Villa enforcer, as the sublime 92% pass accuracy across more passes, with almost double the amount of forward passes, demonstrates. But, the Socceroos’ leader boasts a formidable presence in the middle of the park – and not just with his bearded look.

If Postecoglou opts to stack his side with creative talent further forward, then Jedinak’s selection against Japan seems logical.

Is the captain more dispensable over the coming months?

“A lot of people have got different views on the way Mile is playing at the moment,” Fox Sports football expert Andy Harper told foxsports.com.au.

“It’s good in football terms that those are being thrown around about the captain of our national team, the way it should be.

“Mile as captain, Ange as coach, wouldn’t want it any other way, that people have an opinion and care enough to talk around the issues.”

But there’s something less tangible that makes Jedinak so important to this current XI.

“I don’t think anyone appreciates the esteem with which Mile is held inside the organisation and the status he holds in the four walls of the dressing room. We’re not interacting with it.

“It’s a very powerful part of the Mile piece - over and above his pass completion rate.”

(emphasis mine)

5 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Not sure he'll have the same esteem at a club he's been at for 6 games, all of which he's looked like he's blagged one final contract at the end his career. 

10 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Not sure he'll have the same esteem at a club he's been at for 6 games, all of which he's looked like he's blagged one final contract at the end his career. 

6 games at a club sitting 18th in the Championship under a clueless manager. I'd give him a bit more before I judge that he's spent and just conned one final contract at the end of his career.

• Like 1

Â