James Chester

KJT123

Had a good season last season but that's it, needs replacing asap, I would rather have a u23 in his place see how they fair. Can't keep this up every match is screwing us up big time, he and Taylor are letting the rest of the team down.

8 hours ago, Derryvillan said:

Tuanzebe?

Okore 2.0. Quick and physical, unfortunately not a footballer. Compounded even more when up against a quick and strong forward like Grabban, where his positive attributes are nullified. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

not comfortable enough on the ball for Smith's style of play imo ..maybe that's what is making him shaky ?

think we will sign a new CB in Jan to replace him

He was poor before Smith though (although it seemed many blamed that on SB and Jedinak), he's continued being poor since Smith. Baggies didn't care when he left, maybe last season was the anomaly and he's just not that good? 

I don't know, he could still improve, but this season he's been the 3rd best CB in a team with only 2 CB's, which simply isn't good enough for any team let alone a team going for promotion, particularly for the captain of that team 

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

not comfortable enough on the ball for Smith's style of play imo ..maybe that's what is making him shaky ?

think we will sign a new CB in Jan to replace him

I wondered that, is it Smith’s style of play. But Chester was shaky this season before we sacked Bruce. Maybe the new style in play is accentuating the faults he had prior to Smith’s arrival. 

I don’t know what the problem is. I don’t fully subscribe to the idea he was only good alongside Terry, I remember him playing well in his first season here alongside Baker - not every game, but for the most part and certainly better than he’s been for 80-90% of this season. I don’t think he’s a natural leader, that might be a factor but not sure how.

Having a settled DM might go some of the way to sorting out the issue. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is he similar to Dunne/Collins when Houllier took over. Superb defender until told to play it out from the back and then really struggled. 

I’m starting to think he is a lot more suited to a more defensive setup. 

I agree with you in terms of the issue when asked to play it out, I don’t agree he is a superb defender. He had a great season alongside Terry but either side of that he has been poor. There is a reason Pulis played him at RB then sold him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree with you in terms of the issue when asked to play it out, I don’t agree he is a superb defender. He had a great season alongside Terry but either side of that he has been poor. There is a reason Pulis played him at RB then sold him.

On the money.

He was deemed as good under Bruce because so many players were deployed to defend and contain.

He is not dominant or commanding enough to play in a style where he has to cope on his own....He had Terry alongside him and Jedinak in front last Season.

Dean smith plays a more swashbuckling style and relies on him to cope ( as i think he should) Steve Bruce inadvertently ( I am assuming) chaperoned him in his cautious, containing format.

I think James Chester is being more exposed now to what he really is......I'm hoping its just a dip in form, but I don't think it is, never been really over excited with his play.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

He is a RCB struggling to play LCB. He also suffers from not having a partner that is the 'operator' and ball winner to compliment his style of play.

He played right side for Wales vs Ireland and made same mistakes

Edited by Zatman

5 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

He is a RCB struggling to play LCB. He also suffers from not having a partner that is the 'operator' and ball winner to compliment his style of play.

Thats alot of negatives for Chester. What would his style of play be, if not to be the captain and be the 'operator' or even win the ball. This sounds like I am being overly critical of Chester, I actually like him as a player when he was in form but that seemed to only be when he was partnered next to Terry and since its been a downwards trajectory. How much of that was Terry making him look good!?

• Like 1

Right now he's looking every inch a junior CB playing as the senior CB and a player elevated to Captain who isn't up to the demands. He may be playing out of his preferred position but that should have no bearing on an ability - and in his case an inability - to avoid basic, clumsy, amateurish errors.

Â