James Chester

KJT123

3 hours ago, hippo said:

yeah they looked good against Peterborough 

Terrible wasn't they. Another bad thing about relying on kids is it only takes one bad game and their confidence is gone, just look at Davies. You need to find a good blend of young and old for it to work. 

We do have some youngens who look as though they can become very good players but chances majority of them won't be good enough and only one or two will actually play a fair amount of games for us. 

I think it is more important to keep Chester than Grealish too simply because of their relative price tags and that with Terry gone we need the experience to keep our defence from being too leaky.

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

I'm aware of that, but Chester is too important to let go for anything but stupid money. A part of me would actually rather sell Grealish than Chester.

I doubt either of them will be pulling on a villa shirt next season. 

Would be suprised to see a premier league team sign him, as much as I like him and thought he was our player of the season last season, I can see how he is limited, especially in his physicality. The way Mitrovic bullied him, shows his weakness, and Mitrovic has struggled in the premier league. He also already has three seasons in the premer league, for West Bromwich he was a makeshift right back. Though, I do truly love him and believe he is probably the best championship centre back.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Would be suprised to see a premier league team sign him, as much as I like him and thought he was our player of the season last season, I can see how he is limited, especially in his physicality. The way Mitrovic bullied him, shows his weakness, and Mitrovic has struggled in the premier league. He also already has three seasons in the premer league, for West Bromwich he was a makeshift right back. Though, I do truly love him and believe he is probably the best championship centre back.

You could be right. As much as I rate Chester is he that much better than any centre halves in the top flight ? 

If he moved to another Championship club then that would be a pretty hard to stomach. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You could be right. As much as I rate Chester is he that much better than any centre halves in the top flight ? 

If he moved to another Championship club then that would be a pretty hard to stomach. 

Yes, absolutely. Unfortunately for us of course. I'd say he'd probably be a starter for 8-10 of the current top flight teams. He showed at the Euros a couple of years ago he can play at the top level.

He's a solid centre back, but lacks that extra bit of strength and height to be a top quality premier league centre back.

He has proven to be brilliant at this level for a number of years though, I'm sure he won player of the year the season Hull went up a few years back. However If anyone knows a top quality centre back its Pulis, the fact that he played him right back and ultimately let Chester go speaks volumes. 

I think fans tend to over hype their own players basically by comparing them to other players at their club rather players at other clubs (especially clubs in a higher division)

21 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Chester could play for a lower half Premier League team IMO.

I think of it this way. Had the result gone our way on 26 May, he would have been part of our starting XI in the premier league no doubt, and that would have been one position we wouldn’t be worrying about.

• Like 3

I would far rather keep him than sell him. Without him and JT we will have a massive hole to fill in the centre of our defence but he is our second most saleable asset so I guess will have to go for financial reasons if a decent bid is made.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes

Lets see if Premier League teams feel the same way. Hopefully for us they don’t. 

As has been mentioned I think his best bet is a lower half team Premier league team so he could end up in a relegation battle if he left and ultimately end up in this league anyway. 

Really hope he wants to stay and we can afford to keep him.  Next seasons captain.

• 4 weeks later...

Surely we are due an announcement of the new captain?   That will be a big tell, if he is named captain he's almost certainly staying.  The longer we go without the captain being named, the more likely he's off (to name someone else is like shouting James Chester is leaving through a loud hailer).

So the official website has a photo gallery of the returning squad today, couldnt help but notice no photos of James Chester..

Could be reading too much into it, but you would have thought they would rather put up a photo of the captain rather than the ones they put up of McKirdy, Bunn (who I thought had been relesed) or Ritchie de Laet

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Surely we are due an announcement of the new captain?   That will be a big tell, if he is named captain he's almost certainly staying.  The longer we go without the captain being named, the more likely he's off (to name someone else is like shouting James Chester is leaving through a loud hailer).

That wasn't the case with Captain Snake but I hope James or Jack get the captaincy if staying with the club would come along with it.

Edited by John

Â