Ratings and Reactions: Sheff Wed v Villa

limpid

As has been pointed out Wednesday were better first half we were better 2nd. Elphick seems like he will be a proper captain who will give blood sweat and tears for us and I'm hopeful this will translate to the players around him.  Not too concerned that we lost as we didn't deserve to, there is plenty to take from that game we can build from. 

First  game of the season doesn't really tell you too much about how things are going to pan out: don't forget we beat arsenal 3-1 not too long ago and I for one felt we had a real player in Tony Moon! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

6 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

As has been pointed out Wednesday were better first half we were better 2nd. Elphick seems like he will be a proper captain who will give blood sweat and tears for us and I'm hopeful this will translate to the players around him.  Not too concerned that we lost as we didn't deserve to, there is plenty to take from that game we can build from. 

First  game of the season doesn't really tell you too much about how things are going to pan out: don't forget we beat arsenal 3-1 not too long ago and I for one felt we had a real player in Tony Moon! 

I thought we had signed the next Roberto Carlos and the rest is history

I only watched the last half hour or so, but as disappointing as the result was, I'm actually more confident after today than I was before the game. We'll win a lot of games in this league, and with a few more signings (and a little less Rudy Gestede) we'll be right up there when the promotion places are decided. 

Edited by Michelsen

Yeah the usual suspects from last season aren't going to get us anywhere. They had more of the ball than than we had in games last season and we had a period of dominance but what they are doing with the ball still isn't up to standard. Bacuna and Hutton in particular. Gardener was anonymous. 

Also worrying Gollini made a mistake and was shaky per season too. If we've signed a dud there we can say goodbye to any chance of promotion.

Before today there was 138 points available to us this season, now there is 135. Breathe and have a nice warm shower..... Tad bit early to hit the alarm button I think. Seriously we have to give RDM and the team a month at least to see where we are heading. Even then there will be at least 120 points available to us. The is going to be one long long rollercoaster ride, buckle up and try enjoy the view who knows where we will end up.

• Like 2

We would most likely have been 2 down at half time had we still been playing in the same division as we were last season. Forwards are not so clinical in the division we now find ourselves in and we had the better of the second half until a late goal and defensive error did for us yet again.

This was a tough first away trip for a team that remains fragile after a terrible season and avoiding defeat would have done much to give us some much needed confidence. Forestieri was always the biggest threat to us and he was presented the winner on a plate. I suspect that both teams will end the season in the top 6 but we need to stop dropping points now because as we all know it becomes a hard habit to kick.      

I would much rather have craig gardner back than play Gary. He is awful. Westwood is not much better. and Cissokho.

They're all cowards on the ball they get it and give it first time back to the centre halves.The don't have the wherewithal to turn or get out of trouble.

Just watched the match, surprised - no, disappointed - yes, but only because we only conceded once we got into our stride.

SW are no mugs and one of the better sides in the division, and that Forsetinho or whatever is a decent player too, as good and better than what we have currently. But everything considered they will think themselves fortunate today.

lots of work to do but we can only get better and have more signings yet to arrive, we will be in the Mix at the end of season.

Thought Gollini and Elphick were great, but we need more threat and confidence in midfield, and more fire power. I am sure this is in the pipeline.

Thought Ayew looked disinterested apart from his quality on the ball. He maybe one of our best but he's not all that, shame the rest are so sub-standard, he may not look so smug if we had better quality, we've had plenty far better than him in claret and blue.

Edited by thunderball

3 hours ago, useless said:

I took encouragement from the second half display, but none whatsoever from the fact that it was Wednesday who beat us, they really aren't all that great.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Wednesday looked a good team and will be battling for promotion again this season.

:)

Mind. Games 

mind-games.gif

• Like 4

Reality check lesson 1

We lost again - not good for confidence - 2 ways to lose that hurt confidence are

1 play shit/dont try

2 give a goal away from an error/e series of errors

A team with Hutton, Cissohko, Bacuna, Westwood & Gestede is not going to win again a half decent team.

RDM should really have "played anyone but" the above.

We paid the ultimate cost of endless back passes to GK - passes to and from Hutton & Cissohko.

Why couldnt RDM see that Ayew in front of a weak LB was only going to end in either a stray pass from Cissohko under pressure or being outnumbered on the left.

Hutton was on the half way line the moment Cissohko recieved the ball (3 from a back 4 all in a line except Mr Walkabout DumbF***) for Forestieri to run from his own half INSIDE an out of position fullback once the ball was in the air from the GK kick.

Cissohko's lack of ability on the ball is a sure sign that he cant be trusted to recieve passes where he can be closed down and/or misplace/bad passing back to GK or other defenders.

Why include this in the tactics?

Hutton & Bacuna on one side is asking for trouble. Why make this selection?

As for Westwood & Gardner, well we know Westwood is shite, but we dont know how shite Westwood makes Gardner look. But it didnt look good from the off and didnt really get any better.

Gestede won a few flick ons but either he throws himself about and becomes a handfull or should not even be considered.

Manager rating - Poor, bad team selections, tactics/pattern of play wrong.

Hutton, Cissohko will make mustakes defending costing us goals and offer no final ball/crosses good enough to make Gestede effective or provide Ayew/McGoal with chances

Westwood will never be a Makelele, or an effective DM/CM

Bacuna is not consistant enough/has bad attitude

Gestede - play to him or dont play him - him trying to get in tune with Ayew/McGoal is a lost cause, his football brain combined with his movement is neber going to compliment them

He needs 2 wingers or dont bother with him.

what pluses can we take from a game we could have won, but go on to lose?

Dr X needs to spend soon

RDM needs to learn even quicker.

• Like 1

Well you can be not all that great and still look like a good team who will be battling for promotion, It's all just a matter of perspective.

d09f566d113ac6d7e9307f50012979a6.jpg

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

I took a lot of positives out of this performance against a team widely considered one of the top teams in the league. It also showed that we need to replace some players like Hutton and Cissoko, and strengthen positions like winger and center mid. 

Edited by Villaphan04

I think it was something so close to being a reasonable start against a tough opposition spoiled by a personal error. Gollini looks like a good keeper so hopefully he's removed that from his system for the rest of the season.

With Amavi & Okore on the bench and people coming in I hope will mean only Elphick (Who I'm very impressed with so far) from today's team will start in the future.

We still need a lot more initiative in the middle of the park and drastically more decisiveness up front. At this point I'd rather see shots on target and opponents developing an urgency to close us down rather than any significant possession or passing stats. "*** they're gonna shoot, stop them! Stop them! Stop them!" rather than "Watch out....watch out...Watch out....watch out...breathe..." for now.

Grealish, Green, Ayew, McCormack, Gestede, Elphick, Amavi, Okore and Tshibola are some of the players I'm impressed with and genuinely think we have a great chance to go back up this season.

The mentality has been negative for a while in the squad and that can be a difficult thing to banish but Elphick and McCormack especially seem to be quite motivational characters and I've no doubt there are others and will possibly be some of that type of thought process coming in.

• Like 1

Leaving the actual game aside, did anyone think the atmosphere with the home fans was a lot better than a lot of prem home fans?  Hope they're all going to be a noisy as those Wednesday fans .   Dreadful for parking though and terrible traffic to get away from the ground.

25 minutes ago, Hev said:

Leaving the actual game aside, did anyone think the atmosphere with the home fans was a lot better than a lot of prem home fans?  Hope they're all going to be a noisy as those Wednesday fans .   Dreadful for parking though and terrible traffic to get away from the ground.

Actually thought it was a really good day out. Was a decent game of football which could have gone either way and both sets of fans were loud which made for a good atmosphere. We parked a fair walk from the ground and getting away was no real issue and their fans were friendly enough on the walk back. Much preferred yesterday to a lot of the games in the Premier League and came away thinking we might actually win a few aways this year which would be a pleasant change.

Spoiler

As expected there's alot of over reaction in this thread. It was a 50/50 game away to one of the best sides in the league and apart from a howler by the keeper we would have drawn 0-0. Nothing to worry about.

Positives:
1. The manager was able fix the mess that was the first half performance where most of our players seemed half asleep.
2. Ayew looks like he will be a big threat to teams in this league.
3. Toshiba Ebola looks a proper player just based on his little cameo.
4. Tommy Elphick.
5. Ross McCormack showed glimpses of being an assist and goal machine in this league.
6. Ashley Westwood won't be taking any of our set pieces. Thank Christ.
7. Gestede will do a job in this league IF we play to his strengths. If we don't he will continue to be a cart horse.
8. The standard of the championship is a huge step down from the premiership. If Wednesday are one of the best teams I can't wait until we play some of the worst (i.e. SHA).

Negatives:
1. Gardner was abysmal. One of the worst performances I have seen from a Villa midfielder in years. Dire.
2. Westwood was terrible and we badly need to strengthen the centre of midfield. Toshiba Ebola won't be enough.
3. Neither Ayew (Especially) or Bacuna could be bothered defending. If we are going to play 4-4-2 the wingers have to help out at the back.
4. Hutton can't cross his legs. We really need to replace him.
5. I have said it before and I'll say it again Cissohko looks like a Centre Back trying to play Left back and not necessarily a good one at that. He shouldn't bother crossing the half way line, he's like a lost child in a supermarket when he does. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

Walked out of Hillsborough gutted by the circumstances of the defeat but quite confident about the season ahead based on the second half performance.

Tommy Elphick was immense, what a signing if he continues to play and lead like that. Was impressed by Gollini aside from the obvious error, hope he can put it behind him. Baker was good enough and I'm happy to have him in the side marshalled by Elphick. Amavi will come in for Cissokho so I'm not too concerned about LB. We need to sign a new  RB as a priority, for all Hutton tries he's just not good enough going forward for a team that plays without wingers.

Midfield was poor. Especially first half. I've always liked Gary Gardner but based on that showing he should t be a starter. Westwood had his standard OK performance but I wouldn't be too fussed if a PL side wanted him and we could replace with someone who controls the game more. Was very impressed with Tshibola when he came on and would have him starting next weekend. Bacuna was alright I guess.

Ayew is going to terrorise teams week in week out, great performance but will be much better with Amavi in the side as he wont feel the need to drop so deep. I was impressed with McCormack, looks an intelligent player and finally someone who can take a decent corner! Should have scored his one on one but to be fair it was an excellent last ditch interception, he scores 9/10 there. When he and Ayew gain more understanding of how each other play they will be very tough to defend against. Gestede needs the ball in the air to him, will improve when Amavi returns. Grealish looked decent when he came on.

I'm putting a lot on Amavi's shoulders when he returns but I think he will improve us all over the pitch.

Need a CM and RB above all else for me.

Fans were excellent as ever, disappointed they weren't serving beer in the lower tier though!

Went to my old local after the game and all the Wednesday fans in there seemed pretty convinced we'd be up around the top at the end of the season based on our performance. So no hometown bragging rights for me but hopefully we'll turn them over back at VP.

• Like 1

Â