Ratings and Reactions: Sheff Wed v Villa

limpid

We'll be saying the same in league one. "Well Walsall nearly won the league so were the better team". Get some balls boys, I expected a win and wanted the win this is Championship football, best team in the Championship on not, we needed to start with a win.

This is what we have become I suppose!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We'll be saying the same in league one. "Well Walsall nearly won the league so were the better team". Get some balls boys, I expected a win and wanted the win this is Championship football, best team in the Championship on not, we needed to start with a win.

This is what we have become I suppose!

Yeah, no.

• Like 1

That Sheffield Wednesday team was largely the same as the team that played together all last season and came close to promotion. And 20 games unbeaten at home. It was always going to be a big ask for us.

But we were beaten by shockingly bad referring decisions and a crazy unfortunate miss kick that fell to their best player.

We know where our weaknesses are, and hopefully these will be rectified soon. We really need Hutton, Bacuna, Gardner, Westwood, Sissoko and Gestede to be back up players. Grealish, Green and Tsibola need to be starting. Even a solid midfielder and a decent right back would make a big difference.

Does anyone know what formation we were playing today? I'm not sure even RDM knows what to play to fully utilise Ayew and McCormack (who coming off no match practice did exceptional today)

I know one thing though, we are crying out for a full back and centre mid. There's too much hype surrounding Gardner but he doesn't do it for me.

The tactic chosen did not fit the players chosen.

With that said, Gardner, Hutton, Cissokho, Westwood, Bacuna and Gestede were really poor for the most part.

Gollini (except the goal) was really good, Elphick was my MOTM, McCormack did well considering he was rusty, looked promising.

Baker did OK and Ayew was wasted on the left flank, played in the wrong position.  

Gutting to lose like that but knew it was coming. Still far too many players in the team that are hungover from last season. I'm taking positives in the hope that RDM doesn't want to play that team and is working hard to replace them. We also played well in the second half. For a top 6 team Wednesday were poor.

I would argue that 7 players in that team should not be anywhere near the starting eleven. Hutton, Cissokho, Baker, Westwood, Gardner, Bacuna and Gestede.

Amavi, Grealish and Tishbola need to come straight in to replace Cissokho, Bacuna and Gardner.

RDM has the rest of the window to replace the other 4.

This transfer window will make or break us coz we ain't finishing in the top 6 if those 7 players are starting consistently. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warnock said:

Does anyone know what formation we were playing today? I'm not sure even RDM knows what to play to fully utilise Ayew and McCormack (who coming off no match practice did exceptional today)

I know one thing though, we are crying out for a full back and centre mid. There's too much hype surrounding Gardner but he doesn't do it for me.

Gardner was very poor today. So off the pace in that first half it was incredible. Lost every second ball. Misplaced passes. Tishbola looked much more composed and physical in the short time he was on

• Like 1

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Why are you picking an argument? I'm pointing out that we seem to have more than our fair share of late goals against us and that is a fact. 

No it's not a fact. Last season the average number of late goals across the division was 9 per team which is exactly what we had - so we had exactly our share of late goals. 9 teams conceded less than 9 and 11 teams conceded 9 or more

8 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

No it's not a fact. Last season the average number of late goals across the division was 9 per team which is exactly what we had - so we had exactly our share of late goals. 9 teams conceded less than 9 and 11 teams conceded 9 or more

We only conceded 9 goals last season in the last 15 minutes or so of games? That can't be true.

On reflection we should be furious we lost , its simply not acceptable that a team like ours loses to what is a typical championship team , Aston Villa are  better than that. The players should be ashamed , its laughable that any of them consider themselves worthy of the shirt let alone a Premier league one, the buck stops with them, enough pussy footing around. Make them watch the game back highlighting the **** ups and general shit play.

One more thing, Gestede will be good for you have patience.

The reason being that in this division you will have matches where the opposition are camped in their own area and you have 65% of the possession. In those scenarios, sometimes the only route available to you is to put it into the box. That is where Gested will thrive. In games you dominate and hurl umpteen balls into the box. Not playing on the counter versus Man City, Chelsea etc.

• Like 2

Was at the game today and I've got to say a draw would have been a fair result. 1st half saw off the inevitable pressure, 2nd half felt like we dominated. Never felt we were not in control until we pressed the self destruct button.

If that was one of the best teams in the league I think we'll be pushing top 4.

• Like 2

I am not too upset by the performance. The result was undeserved. I think we need to sort out RB and a decent commanding midfielder and we will look much better. Ayew has to be played in the centre. NOT on the wing.

• Like 1

Awful first half, much better second half. Not sure what the formation was - at times we had no shape. Cissokho was dreadful yet again and Gardner should have been replaced at half time. 

Let's hope the new signings come in quickly and include a right back, central midfielder and forward.

Â