Ratings and Reactions: Sheff Wed v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

As pissed off as i am we seriously cannot fault that performance as a whole was asolid performance as probably best team in league.  On another day we could have easily won that.

Wasnt deserved and we won it for them.

That's what bothers me. Last season we played badly, very badly, and we lost. Today we played a bit better at times and yet we still lost. No win since February and with Bacuna, Hutton, Westwood, Gardner and Gestede in the side.

19 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Not sure anyone has claimed Wednesday are the best side in the Championship? That's what makes it slightly worrying.

Also, the league (and possibly Wednesday) may be "shite" but they did after all beat us so what does that make us?

Well Wednesday are the best team not to have been promoted and know the league inside out because of that. They are the strongest team we could have faced in the first game. Those are excuses, and yes we should at least have got a point, but Golllini screwed up, they got some luck, then their best forward scored. I don;t look at this game as part of last season or the four seasons before, this game is what it was, isolated and played with a villa team 4 or 5 players short of what would normally play. I don't think we have much to fear in this league. Oh an sorry, they have Barry fooking Banan.

• Like 1

We didn't play great yet looked like the only team that was going to score going into the last quarter, and this was against a team many fancy for promotion this season. 

I agree we need a couple more players. We looked pretty weak in midfield, I'm not sure Westwood and Gardener are going to dominate many games this season so a hard sod in the middle of the park would be welcome. I'm still not sold on Gastede despite his goal scoring record at this level, so another attacking player like Morrison would compliment Ayew, Grealish and RMC very well indeed. 

The fullbacks are also a concern, we have the return of Amavi to look forward to, but yet again Alan Hutton looked very poor to me.  

What was clear was the need for pace, i couldn't help but think Adama would have had a field day today, god knows if the bloke will ever be fit, but someone with that raw pace would cause havoc in this league. 

All in all I'm strangely more confident for the season having watched that, a couple more signings to strengthen those weakened areas and i think we will be fine this season

Lastly, a special mention for our new captain. One game in and you can see why the Bournemouth fans loved him, he's like Nathan Baker with a brain. Always encouraging those around him and well as the fans. We have a keeper here, and dare i say the first real leader since Barry/Laursen/Melberg. 

First half was painful, midfield was non existant. We pressed much more in the second half and it paid off but also left us open to the counter a bit. Gardner and Westwood do not look a pair that are well matched. 

Second half was pretty encouraging more chances than I've seen us create in many many months and should really have taken the lead and put the game away. Given the opposition a point and that second half performance I'd have taken as a serious positive. 

The goal was a piss poor clearance an unlucky deflection and you get punished.

Few more good signings and we'll be right. Was half expecting my early season optimism to be whistling round the room like a popped balloon but feels good to have it around for a little while longer. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

We have many players who aren't good enough to win games , they don't offer for the ball when were in possession and there is no drive in the midfield or up front , depressingly like last season.

Wednesday were just as poor , this league is hopeless and that includes us ATM 

Defence was okay ..... midfield was weak and lacked creativity ..... Gestede was weak and useless as a target man and rendered McCormack irrelevant as a result albeit he should have scored the one flick on Gestede made for him.

I liked the additional spirit shown by Elphick and McCormack - good to see - and the only other positive is that if Wednesday are one of the fancied sides then we should do well this season because they looked pretty average to me !

Need to sign some creative midfielders and we need to give up on Gestede.

I know it's been said but for me it's the equivalent of losing 1-0 away at the Etihad or Old Trafford. The know this league so well and are used to winning. 

I think we were OK in the second day half. We're still looking to add quality, hopefully this week, and the squad are still gelling. One silly mistake cost us the goal.. 

Let's be fair, they're play off contenders who play in a fortress. We lost 1-0 to a silly mistake without our full squad. I'm reasonably OK with that. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

Not going to get a more difficult game than that for the rest of the season. 

That is some statement. Wednesday were rubbish for most of the match and the likes of Newcastle, Norwich and Derby will be very tough games. Not to mention the million derbies we have to play.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As pissed off as i am we seriously cannot fault that performance as a whole was asolid performance as probably best team in league.  On another day we could have easily won that.

Wasnt deserved and we won it for them.

I can fault that performance as a whole. I can fault it individually as well if you like? 

Positives:

Gollini....exceot for his gaff

Elphick...great leadership.  Committed, passionate and a good CB

Baker, brave as ever, will be a good pairing with Elphick IMO

McCormack...will get plenty of goals with the right creative player!

Westwood....the Championship is his level IMO

Grealish.....needs to start against Luton IMO

Green on the bench....start him against Luton

Fans....superb, as always

Negatives

Ayew, not interested hen he doesnt have the ball

Gestede....largely ineffective again, not really his fault....mainly due to lack of service...why pick him if we dont have a decent ball crosser in the team...pointless

Bacuna instead of Grealish or Green? Not for me!

• Like 1

So I have taken some time away to reflect and the mistake aside which was typical Villa it wasn't all that bad..

The first half was nervy and rather tepid from Villa which is to be expected as Sheffield Wednesday came at us from the offset. I felt as the game progressed though we came into it more and more to the point that by the second half it was our game to lose. Inevitably as we were at our strongest and seeming more and more likely to score we made a mistake and it cost us the game. 

Was it a bad match? Not really, it wasn't pretty football but considering Wednesday were the strongest team not to get promoted last season we certainly didn't look that far off the pace. I think once a few more players come it and we build up a bit more confidence we will be golden. All in all yes a silly mistake was all it took but we need to take solace that until that point in the match we had nullified them. Not bad going considering some of us and our critics had us down to lose comfortably today.

Onwards and upwards.. Next stop Luton.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We play two halves of football, Demitri. 

But you said you can critise the performance as a whole? Barring a stupid mistake we really were not bad at all.easily could have won this one

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Cissokho needs to go, offers absolutely zero and it was his poor technical ability of not being able to handle and lay off a simple pass that led to the goal. How he amassed over 40M in transfer fees is a mystery, easily one of the worst footballers I've seen technically speaking.

......says a lot about the people buying players.

If I was an owner, some of them would scare me s***less

Â