Ratings and Reactions: Sheff Wed v Villa

limpid

Gollini - 5 - Would have been higher as he made some great saves but his awful clearance the assist for their goal continues the 'always one defensive **** up per game rule'
Hutton - 5 - Same as ever, can't defend, can't cross
Elphick - 7 - Heroic
Baker - 5 - No idea why he is first choice
Cissokho - 5 - Slow and exposed by Ayew's lack of tracking back
Gardender - 4 - Terrible
Westwood - 5 - Anonymous and fluffed a sitter
Bacuna - 5 - Same old Bacuna really
Ayew - 6 - Some nice moments but when it mattered he fluffed his lines
McCormack - 6 - Looked off the pace but got better as the game wore on
Gested - 4 - Statue

Tish - 5 - Didn't really do much
Gresford - 5 - Got fouled a lot
Green - too little time to be rated

We showed some improvement as the second half wore on and should have scored, but overall Wednesday was the better team.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

I would say that there are 4 or 5 players who just shouldn't be playing for us and we know who they are.  Rome wasn't built in a day, but we need  3 or 4 new players sharpish.  No need to panic here and there were some positives out of today. We should have secured a draw at least and would have done so if not for an error again on our part.  Calm heads needed here.

• Like 3

Unlucky not to get a point and I reckon we have plenty to be positive about.  Just a shame we're starting off with a loss; hopefully it won't affect confidence too much and the pressure won't start mounting again.  This needs to be a fresh start and patience is required.

McCormack will be a great signing once he's integrated.  Cissokho looked dodgy at times but we have Amavi to come back and he's fantastic.  Hopefully we'll sign a central midfielder and we also have Tshibola to come in there, so we can take some control in the middle of the park.  I think that's what we need the most and we'll be addressing it.

It's very easy to think 'same old Villa' but although disappointment is all too familiar, we need to stay positive, get behind the boys and have a little patience while things come together.  I'd be disappointed if we weren't pushing for promotion at the end of the season, but Rome wasn't built in a day and I still think we'll be looking at next season when we should expect to be going up.

• Like 1

Played better second half, deserved a draw.  Gutted about the loss (another mistake) but not the performance. Areas to improve but plenty of positives to buid on. We'll get better as they get used to playing together and new players come in.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

If we had continued that first half performance I really would have been worried for the season ahead but we were far better in that second half and in complete control until we "Villa'ld' it. 

I think it is important to note that we will only get better too. Amavi will replace Cissokho at left back so we will go from having one of the most ineffective full backs in the league to quite possibly the best one. McCormack's movement looked great and I think he'll score plenty for us, I really hope Tshibola can step up as our midfield is certainly my main worry. 

A few more positive signings and I think we'll still be strong contenders for promotion. It was amazing how much easier it was to get into good positions that it is in the Premier League. 

Oh and I also think the Keeper was playing really well until the goal. I was going to mention how much better at kicking the ball he is that Guzan...

Ok im dissapointed we lost..there have been many positives though especially in the second half...but there are a core of players from last season that really have no place in a villa squad.

If we can replace cissokho,gardner,Oak tree,hutton and westwood we would be in a much stronger position to do something in this league

Gutted. Really didn't deserve to lose, draw would have been the fair result. Do hope that mistake doesn't play on Gollini's mind, he was overall very solid. Wednesday away first game of the season was always going to be extremely tough, we were unlucky. Very early days nothing to be too worried about just yet, roll on next week.

We go again :lol:

Some people need to lighten up. We have bids on players, RDM knows we need to strengthen. Win, lose or draw this game told us nothing about how our season will pan out. 

By far better team second half, unlucky with the goal. First half was terrible. Midfield needs attention badly but overall new players I was happy with, old players not good enough!

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Thank you for proving my point. 

We did lose though didn't we. In almost exactly the same circumstances as we have grown accustomed to. Defensive errors, late goals, missed chances. It's hard to be optimistic when we have just lost yet again. This time, in the Championship. 

• Like 2

Same shit, different season:

- Shit Refs.

- Shit Team Selection.

- Concede late because of an error.

- Hutton, Cissokho, Gestede still shit.

Positives:

- Overall 2nd half performance was an improvement.

- Baker looked solid.

- Fans were great as usual.

- Grealish was good when he came on.

- Dr. X now knows we need to spend cash on Midfielders.

Not going to get a more difficult game than that for the rest of the season. Poor first half but that was to be expected, nerves and all that. Second half we absolutely bossed it. Shame for Gollini's error as he looked good all game. Back to back home wins and we will forget all about this result. 

Â