Ratings and Reactions: Sheff Wed v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Also, the league (and possibly Wednesday) may be "shite" but they did after all beat us so what does that make us?

Unlucky? Considering we were in total control.

You do know it isn't a league of parity right? That just because you beat somebody, that makes you better than them?

• Like 2

I think the problem is while there are some positives in there, they are dwarved by all the familiar issues and losing mentality that has dogged us for years. Just like against Sunderland we defeated ourself.

I didn't expect us to win, but i was hoping we could hold out for a draw as we need something to build on.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

2nd half was better and we created openings. Unfit striker missed a glorious chance, should improve. Full backs need replacing if we are to support our forwards at all.

Elphick is good, Gardner was poor. Gollini was fine until his disaster. Hope it doesnt affect him. Ayew needs to be more cutting. Grealish looked interested.

The most pleasing thing today was that we showed a lot of fight and really took the game to the opposition second half after a quite but fairly solid first half.  They caused us most problems down our flanks as we had Bacuna and Ayew on either flank and neither are great at offering protection to the full back.  I thought Gollini was great apart from the error and also thought Ayew, McCormack and Westwood had good games.  Gestede did good with the flick ons but offered nothing else bar a few clearences and should start on the bench.  Get some more quality in the midfield and another quality striker and we will improve a lot.

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You're not to be fair, I think most people are saying the same. 

To be fair you are right. 

I started typing my post up after the first page or two of the thread and I am just starting to catch up with the thread :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GNeeUs said:

6) Maybe the kick up the backside we need!

I think we had our arses kicked enough times last season, and that made no difference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I think the problem is while there are some positives in there, they are dwarved by all the familiar issues and losing mentality that has dogged us for years.

I didn't expect us to win, but i was hoping we could hold out for a draw as we need something to build on.

I completely agree. Although, bizarrely, some people will have you believe that those same issues that have dogged us for years happen to every team. It happens far too often to us.

Same old, same old...

Edited by One For The Road

5 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I think the problem is while there are some positives in there, they are dwarved by all the familiar issues and losing mentality that has dogged us for years. Just like against Sunderland we defeated ourself.

.........a technical error yes, missed chances yes, and a poor refereeing decision yes, losing mentality no.

• Like 2

Gollini:  Thought he had a decent game in all.  Good positioning and made a few saves.  Poor kick for the goal sure, but we were unlucky as it still hit Elphik twice before it fell into their players path.

Hutton: I want to like him, his attitude, and he looks hard as nails, but he really isn't very good.  Defensively he was poor (more so first half), and his crossing is awful. 

Elphik:  This guy was a legend in the making.  Winning headers, being brave, just what we needed.  Constantly talking throughout the game.  Only thing is that he didn't want to play as much as I thought.  Between him and Baker, there was little responsibility on the ball.  This will need to change, especially at VP.

Baker:  Decent performance, and as we now, very brave.

Cissokho: I don't think I have a problem with Cissokho being our LB with Amavi.  They both offer something different and can alternate through the season.

Gardner:  He didn't really do well at all.  Gave the ball away a lot first half, always looking for a first time 40 yarder.  Could have been booked before he did as well.  Only player who's shirt wasn't wet through at HT.

Westwood:  Decent from westwood, showed a variation of passes.  Got on the end of a few knock downs, should have maybe scored.

Bacuna:  Poor first half, he didn't really know how to play the position.  Better second half, but we could do better then this surely?

Ayew:  I think he needs to play up front.  He shouldn't be doing the donkey work going backwards.  Yes, selfish at time, but after last season if he gave the ball away to a team mate he wouldn't get it back, I think he can trust McCormack to play him back in.

Mccormack:  Looks good.  Just get him fit and he will be the link man we've missed for so long.  Should have scored his chance though, that was the difference between the two teams, and our 12m man missed his.

Gestede:  Bloody useless.  If we're not playing with wingers there is no point.  Saying that, we put balls in the box second half, and he was standing on the edge of the box!  Our centre half has come off with a bandage round his head.  Gustede isn't giving our opposition that sort of game.

Ref - McCormack through on goal first half?  Elphiks booking?  2nd booking for bringing Hutton down?  Peno on Baker?

• Like 2

As pissed off as i am we seriously cannot fault that performance as a whole was asolid performance as probably best team in league.  On another day we could have easily won that.

Wasnt deserved and we won it for them.

• Like 1

Â