International Football General Chat

villa4europe

England remind me of Villa under Bruce. Flat-track bullies who will beat worse teams purely because they have a superior squad, but they have no identity, no plan and no clue how to break down a tough opposition., then when they come up against a team that has these things they crumble.

Southgate will get us to the QF in the summer, maybe even SF if the draw is kind, but the moment we get drawn against anyone decent, we'll be out.

• Like 4

Watched the second half.

England looked terrible until Poland scored. Absolutely no ambition.

Improved after the equalizer ... turned up the intensity a little, reached a really pleasant tepid:  but very little creativity.

I suppose the goal was nice ... well taken header, brought back nicely - fell nicely. If the defender was more worried about the ball than Maguire, then it might not have been a goal. Having said that Maguire took the ball really well.

The last five minutes of play exemplified England's ambition and imagination. 

30 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

If Grealish doesn't make the squad (and play) in the Euros then I doubt I'll even bother watching the bloody thing. 

He's up there creatively and skilfully with anyone else.

Watching this game made me realise how good grealish is 

But knowing Southgate it will be Kane and rashford and Sterling either side 

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

So to confirm, I think Southgate has Foden, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Mount all ahead of Jack.

He’s probably in a pot with Maddison and Barnes as an outside bet to make the flight. 

Criminal really.

For me, Grealish has two things in his favour and two stacked against him. In his favour, he played well when he was given the chance, and was widely considered to have done so. Also, partly because of that, he's got a pretty big constituency of people - not just Villa fans - who think he should make the squad. Plenty of people in the media thinking that too. I think there's a greater danger of getting pelters going out tamely and leaving Jack at home, in terms of people saying afterwards 'Grealish could have come off the bench and changed the game' than there is from leaving say Lingard at home.

The two things against him are first that there's so many good attacking options as you've said, and secondly that he plays for Villa, a tired team in mid-table no man's land who look like we might just lose out the rest of the season in second gear.

• Like 2

Southgate has said he doesn't want a squad bigger than 23 due to covid which it sounds like UEFA are discussing, thinks its more difficult to manage with players not playing 

Interesting though he did also say something along the lines of we couldn't attack the way we wanted to because of who is missing with injury, that's got to be grealish and sancho 

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

As good as Stones has been this season he needs a top CB like Dias next to him to make him play really well.

He had the worlds most expensive defender next to him tonight :lol: 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Southgate has said he doesn't want a squad bigger than 23 due to covid which it sounds like UEFA are discussing, thinks its more difficult to manage with players not playing 

Interesting though he did also say something along the lines of we couldn't attack the way we wanted to because of who is missing with injury, that's got to be grealish and sancho 

Did he really say that? What a massive dick. Look at the attacking players at his disposal tonight and tell me that pretty much any international manager in Europe wouldn’t have given his right nut to have a squad like that to pick from. Utter bollocks.

The truth is he’s a failed club manager who’s really lucky to be in that job. He wants to show a bit of humility and learn to manage better.

I have no idea what Kalvin Phillips is showing him to get in that team. Let alone the fact that we seem to need 2 defensive midfielders even against mighty San Marino. Kane seems to want to play every position except the one on the back of his shirt. Tell the prick to stay up front and do his job.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

For me, Grealish has two things in his favour and two stacked against him. In his favour, he played well when he was given the chance, and was widely considered to have done so. Also, partly because of that, he's got a pretty big constituency of people - not just Villa fans - who think he should make the squad. Plenty of people in the media thinking that too. I think there's a greater danger of getting pelters going out tamely and leaving Jack at home, in terms of people saying afterwards 'Grealish could have come off the bench and changed the game' than there is from leaving say Lingard at home.

The two things against him are first that there's so many good attacking options as you've said, and secondly that he plays for Villa, a tired team in mid-table no man's land who look like we might just lose out the rest of the season in second gear.

I think the big thing in Jack favour is that the media are all for him as well, if Jack doesnt go or doesnt play then Southgate has to win the tournament or he will be slaughtered. I think England should be semi-finals minimum but this manager I think will struggle to get to quarters.

I know Southgate is trying to have this vendetta of Mount, Jack and Foden but at least 2 out of 3 can play or even squeeze all 3 in, other teams have done it successfully. I think at tournament level it might be controversial but Jack and Foden will be more effective than a Sterling, Sancho or Rashford

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

Going to be tricky for Jack - four into three doesn't go.

I think Rashford and Sancho will be on the bench - Mount in the middle, then two from Sterling, Foden and Grealish.

On form, Sterling should be dropped, but he won't do that - I think in Gareth's mind it's a straight choice between Foden and Grealish for a starting place - which is a shame as they're both better than Mount and Sterling.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

More likely Rashford I imagine.

I think Grealish will go to the Euros, though. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Even Boothroyd is better than the posh Alex McLeish yes man 

He definitely isn't, Boothroyd is an absolute embarrassment.

Normally I would have some sympathy for someone who is just so utterly out of his depth and knows it, but I always find Boothroyd comes off as a testy rocket polisher as well.

• Like 1

Â