2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

4 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

This Olympics is a farce ...

It's brilliant isn't it? The sheer amount of corruption.  The terrible venues, including the Brucey-bonus of the fart-filled diving arena.  The horrible crowds.  All the controversy.  I must admit I like watching stuff like this burn.  Hopefully there's a massive fallout from it all for the various culpable organisations.  I think it has largely met my pre-Olympic hopes for it all.  The worst Olympics ever.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The massacre in Munich? The Atlanta bombing? Hitler's games?

I doubt it's even in the bottom half dozen. 

I meant in terms of what they could control i.e. it reflecting on the organisers, facilities etc.

• Like 1

For jingoists GB's medal haul looks impressive but the success actually promotes the idea that a country should channel resources to the talented and privileged at the expense of the poor (Lottery funding).

For those who think that inequality is a problem in our society, the Olympics, or at least the way it is funded, represents exactly what is undesirable - a feather-bedded elite created and paid for by the poorest.

It seems likely that the reason every medal won has to be accompanied by some tragic or heroic back-story, is to distract the public from the actual ugly reality, that it mirrors the structure and priorities of our society.

The message is that if winners can dedicate themselves and make sacrifices for the sake of national prestige, perhaps the rest of us can be inspired to be prepared to do the same, serving capitalism.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

I meant in terms of what they could control i.e. it reflecting on the organisers, facilities etc.

agree, this is because of the IOC and Rio, these games have failed for various reasons but pretty much all of them are internal factors which should have an impact on deciding the host in the future

some of the other games listed are because of external factors, atlanta being considered a bad games because of the bombing for example, im sure atlanta, the state of georgia the US and the IOC will tell you otherwise...in terms of tourism, the way the games are marketed, actual redevelopment of the host city rather than being a white elephant and of course that great IOC measuring stick of revenue atlanta was a hugely succesful games

average salary in brazil for most menial work is about £600 per month once converted to GBP. Bearing in mind that there are an awful lot of people in brazil that will get nowhere near that.

Ticket prices for the athletics on a quiet day (no bolt or major finals) are between £65-£215 per session (morning, afternoon & evening. different ticket required for each session).

Evening tickets with a big final are between £85 - £290.

There are a few nosebleed tickets for some of the morning sessions (9.30 - 13.00) available for between £25 - £85

and they wonder why the stadiums are empty....

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Crap day for sports today. I'm looking forward to the triathlon tomorrow.

What you talking about Willis?

I'm watching GB v NZ women's hockey, aside from the fact its a decent game there is the snigger value. First of all you have a player called Cocks on the NZ side then there are the commentary highlights.... "Kayla Whitelock complains she got smashed from behind" followed by "She did, she definitely got smashed from behind" and a few minutes later "left a bitter sweet taste in her mouth". 

All quite amusing, but then I've been drinking most of the evening...

• Like 4

Â