2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

John Inverdale has gone full Partridge tonight. "I don't know if an engaged or married couple have both won gold at the same Olympics?" Claire Balding having to remind him about Trott & Kenny, and the two members of the Hockey team. Oops!

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

John Inverdale has gone full Partridge tonight. "I don't know if an engaged or married couple have both won gold at the same Olympics?" Claire Balding having to remind him about Trott & Kenny, and the two members of the Hockey team. Oops!

I've actually begun to feel a bit sorry for Inverdale, a character utterly out of his time and his comfort zone.

Partridge is a bang on comparison.

Next up: another **** Eddie **** Butler **** monologue. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I've actually begun to feel a bit sorry for Inverdale, a character utterly out of his time and his comfort zone.

Partridge is a bang on comparison.

Next up: another **** Eddie **** Butler **** monologue. 

Coogan always said that Partridge was a Richard Madeley/Jim Rosenthal hybrid. But Inverdale fits the model perfectly. 

The football teams may be *shit, but that's got to be the golden generation of UK athletes/competitors.

Surely we won't see a better haul at the Olympics in our lifetimes?

* You did ok Wales

Edited by Xann

Rio ticket sales: Three OCI officials have passports seized by police

Three Olympic Council of Ireland officials, including one from Northern Ireland, have had their passports, phones and laptops seized by Brazilian police as part of the investigation into alleged illegal ticket sales.

According to RTÉ and the Irish Times, the officials include OCI Chief Executive Stephen Martin, who is from Bangor, County Down.

Mr Martin was previously a Director of Coaching at Ulster Hockey.

The two other executives are reported to be Dermot Henihan and Kevin Kilty.

No arrests were made during the search on Sunday.

Brazilian police are seeking to acquire the passports of three other people connected to the OCI.

RTE says the development is part of an ongoing investigation and there is nothing to suggest impropriety on the part of any of those involved.

A statement released by the OCI said: "Early this morning in Rio, Brazilian police arrived at the OCI offices in the Olympic village and at OCI accommodation outside of the village.

"The OCI personnel were asked to present for questioning at a local police station on Tuesday. They agreed to do so.

"The OCI had an allocation of unused official tickets in their offices which had been made available for athletes' families and friends. The police also took possession of these tickets."

Former Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI) president Patrick Hickey was arrested in connection with the alleged illegal sales on Wednesday.

He is being held alongside THG director Kevin Mallon at Rio's notorious Bangu 10 prison.

The OCI board is due to meet in Dublin to discuss the issue on Sunday evening.

Arrest warrant out for John Delaney (FAI CEO) too, protégé of Pat Hickey and robbing a salary of over €400k a year from Irish football(more than the total prize money combined for the League of Ireland). This could be the best Olympics ever for Irish sport if it gets rid of Hickey and Delaney.

Words can't describe the amount of man love I have for Romario, he was the first great player/maybe 2nd after McGrath I remember from when I started watching football, early days of the CL destroying Man utd. Anyway he had Marcus Evans and Hickey sussed from London 2012 and I presume the world cup 2014 is where John Delaney comes in as THG were operating there too. The Brazilian police were fully prepared for this from a long way out but it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Romario speaking out.

I

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

By bagging a few criminals from one country?

I was being sarcastic, but I'm not complaining about it anyway. 

Just in case I'm in danger of feeling too positive, here's the comprehensive list of 25 athletes previously banned for doping offences who won medals in Rio:

CqaZH55UMAASCyu.jpg

Just one cyclist, which is nice, although of course the peloton for the road race contained loads. Weight lifting, as a federation, needs to be put under enormous pressure for its dismal record on doping. 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I was being sarcastic, but I'm not complaining about it anyway. 

Just in case I'm in danger of feeling too positive, here's the comprehensive list of 25 athletes previously banned for doping offences who won medals in Rio:

CqaZH55UMAASCyu.jpg

Just one cyclist, which is nice, although of course the peloton for the road race contained loads. Weight lifting, as a federation, needs to be put under enormous pressure for its dismal record on doping. 

I don't claim to really follow it, but why on earth would you need to dope when competing in equestrian? 

1 hour ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

I don't claim to really follow it, but why on earth would you need to dope when competing in equestrian? 

It's the horse that gets doped. 

EDIT: . . . and to answer your question more specifically, for much the same reason you would dope an athlete, ie. build up stamina, decrease recovery times etc. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â