2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

4 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

A quarter of our Olympians in Rio went to Private schools...

Brought us back a host of Golds, from the swimming pools

Safe from the jibes of burning proletarian rage

And the hope of nothing more than minimum-wage 

Fixed! :)

W.S.Gilbert eat your heart out...;)

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

A quarter of our Olympians in Rio went to Private schools...

ALL the better, well not really. But I guess the 100 or so members of team GB who got a medal, will earn a lot less than the England team who have won bugger all for 50 years. I read Laura Trott with 4 gold medals gets £65k a year from lottery funding as a wage. Rooney makes that by January 3rd. If only the FA were as good as the Olympics team management.

My son goes to a non fee paying  school, 2000 kids. He's really good at rugby.(most of the school team play for the local team anyway) The school has 7 football coaches but not one Rugby coach. They are coached by 5th and 6th years. They got into the last  200 or so of the national schools cup, a bit like reaching the 3rd round of the FA cup. Drawn away at Newcastle Grammar. The school pulled the plug, said it would be too expensive to travel etc and they would probably lose anyway. 

The football first team still got their 4 days training at Manchester united though, even  though they have never done anything.

Edited by colhint
typo

On 8/23/2016 at 21:10, colhint said:

ALL the better, well not really. But I guess the 100 or so members of team GB who got a medal, will earn a lot less than the England team who have won bugger all for 50 years. I read Laura Trott with 4 gold medals gets £65k a year from lottery funding as a wage. Rooney makes that by January 3rd. If only the FA were as good as the Olympics team management.

It's a bit of an unfair argument though, isn't it?

Rooney was offered an amount and accepted it, you can't expect someone to turn it down. As far as I'm aware, he's not paid by England year round? But he is paid by Manchester United. A club in which he has won many trophies with (including becoming the "best in the World". He also brings in millions and millions through shirt sales, on field performances which lead to success, etc.

on the subject of rugby. They seem to be able to get away with it. Imagine if England hosted a Euros/World Cup and failed to get out of the groups?

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â