2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

I think Smith paid for misfiring in the team event after switching to the harder routine at the last minute, it's whether you risk a higher difficulty and not doing it cleanly or nailing an "easier" routine (and thinking back to 2014's snowboard event, I recall it being something an athlete would discuss with the coach in order to make the best decision) and risk someone nailing a harder routine.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  Fine margins and all that.

Anyway, time to stick the track cycling on :D

another gold in the sailing this time!

what a day for British sport (esp with another guaranteed gold and silver to come in the cycling and Murray in the tennis final)

last year, we had super Saturday. Surely today eclipses that?

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

This British success must be some kind of effect from you having the London Olympics? More money for athletes before that have spilled over to this one.

A lot of National Lottery funding goes to into funding these athletes and they are very medal focused when handing out money. Dressage gets £18m over four years (not including another £3.5m for paralympic dressage) which gives you an idea of the scale of money spent.

• Like 1

When did it become a thing that gold, silver and bronze all get the right to do a lap of honour with their national flag draped around their shoulders? I'm not against people celebrating a medal but it sort of diminishes the adulation for the victor when the two people that lost to him/her are also parading themselves about.

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

I won't be shocked if Bolt pops at some point. He's very lonely on the list of fastest ever 100m times once you start crossing our dopers, and there's anyways been questions about Jamaica's testing regime. Especially as they came out of nowhere to dominate the sprint events en masse and more than a few have been caught out in the following years.

But there is also the fact Bolt is obviously a bit of a genetic freak regardless. Has the build of a sprinter but with greater height. He could be a one in a million.

Farah I think is fine. East African heritage with top level pro training, 

I'd be interested to know if there are any Jamaican sprinters who were around in the late noughties who haven't been popped for doping, except for Bolt. Asafa Powell, Nesta Carter, Yohan Blake, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, all with positive tests. Are there any who haven't recorded one?

The evidence against Farah is circumstantial, and primarily seems to involve the coaches he's worked with. I doubt I'll ever truly 'believe' in him, but until he fails a test it will remain nothing but rumour and awkward questions. 

Well, that fourth set in the Men's tennis singles was something else.  Neither Murray nor Del Potro looked like they were going to be able to hold their serve, Del Potro flitting between being unable to lift his racquet to chasing any lost cause down after a quick bit of magic rubbing from his trainer.  An increasingly boisterous crowd saw it take about 2minutes to start a point in the final game before someone was "kindly" "asked" to leave.

And more importantly, wrapped up before the 100m semi finals. :D

Â