2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

45 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Sorry, personal opinion. I realise it's not everyone's. I believe it's barbaric and should be consigned to the same historical bin as cockfighting and foxhunting.

I can understand people's view in boxing even if I don't share it. I didn't and still don't really understand your original point or how anyone could compare the two in terms of their natures but thanks for taking a moment to explain what you meant.

56 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I can understand people's view in boxing even if I don't share it. I didn't and still don't really understand your original point or how anyone could compare the two in terms of their natures but thanks for taking a moment to explain what you meant.

Ah. It was a bit of a random beer-driven moment where I saw the horses prancing around and thought 'how ridiculous' and then they put boxing on where 2 young guys were attempting to give each other brain damage and I thought 'how ridiculous'.

5 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Ah. It was a bit of a random beer-driven moment where I saw the horses prancing around and thought 'how ridiculous' and then they put boxing on where 2 young guys were attempting to give each other brain damage and I thought 'how ridiculous'.

I can see how that could come together :)

Had it been me I'd probably invented a new hybrid sport with complete rule book most likely comprising posh folk in panto horse costumes being chased by two boxers trying to batter them..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Sorry, personal opinion. I realise it's not everyone's. I believe it's barbaric and should be consigned to the same historical bin as cockfighting and foxhunting.

Interesting. Im actually an amateur boxer and may be the most docile person you meet. I obviously dont think its barbaric, theres alot of technique and athleticism involved. 

I am super competitive and have always prefered physical sports though, i think as you cant really hide in them (Lacrosse, Ice Hockey, Rugby, GAA)

As for comparing it to watching/following animals tearing each other to shreds, i feel no need to comment.

FYI: found your comments interesting, i am not offended

• Like 1

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, zak said:

Interesting. Im actually an amateur boxer and may be the most docile person you meet. I obviously dont think its barbaric, theres alot of technique and athleticism involved. 

I am super competitive and have always prefered physical sports though, i think as you cant really hide in them (Lacrosse, Ice Hockey, Rugby, GAA)

As for comparing it to watching/following animals tearing each other to shreds, i feel no need to comment.

FYI: found your comments interesting, i am not offended

Also very interesting from your side. Thanks. I know a cage fighter who's also a really nice bloke. But he's out to get as close to killing people without actually killing them as possible. Otherwise he's not competitive surely.

Little bit random but whilst supping a few beer and whiskey shandys in the pub last night my mate suggested all the gold medalists should have a massive game of dodgeball, winner is crowned the Olympic champion champion.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Also very interesting from your side. Thanks. I know a cage fighter who's also a really nice bloke. But he's out to get as close to killing people without actually killing them as possible. Otherwise he's not competitive surely.

I love to watch MMA, to me its the ultimate sport/competition. just you and another guy in a ring. It can get fairly gruesome though, especially if you dont follow the sport. Its crazy how technical it all is.

However i have never tried MMA, because it must be impossible to train and spar without getting injuries.

In boxing, i have had a fair few bloody noses, bloody lips and injured hands but never a broken nose or concussion. TBH Iv only had 5 fights but spar twice a week (which isnt much different)

I actually dont really watch boxing but thats because IMO Professional boxing is broken with all the belts and organizations

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I can see how that could come together :)

Had it been me I'd probably invented a new hybrid sport with complete rule book most likely comprising posh folk in panto horse costumes being chased by two boxers trying to batter them..

Shame the Aussies didn't get their wish in the Sydney Olympics

desktop-1434745000.jpg

Â