2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

really promising pace from Bolt in the semi there. it's going to be a real endurance test for me keeping my eyes open long enough to see the final though.

It's on in an hour so not as bad as last nights 4am finish. Womens 1500m semis on in a minute to help pass the time & the mens 400m is on shortly after at 2 before the 100m final at 2.25

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Knackered just watching the tennis. Another great summer for Murray.

Would love to see bolt actually run as fast as he can for the whole 100m, so may times he is a couple of tenths off the world record while jogging the final 40m

if he's close and sees on the board, he usually goes for it. might seem a little crazy but I don't think he really loses much in the last 10-15m looking around, the momentum is there and it's all about speed maintenance at that point, he's still upright and on his toes.

Spoiler

Wow, Johnson's 400m records gone.  That last 80-odd meters was incredible. 

Edited for early-morning spoilers about the 400m final!

100M:

Spoiler

Some 2nd half of that race, blew them away again, daylight to the rest.

Edited by CardiffGreens

Bolt is something else, isn't he? If people are discussing the greatest Olympian of all time, then this man is now the logical choice? An absolute icon. Maybe even rivalling Ali for the title of greatest sportsman of all time.

8 hours ago, CardiffGreens said:

Wow, Johnson's 400m records gone.  That last 80-odd meters was incredible. 

Utterly amazing run. That record was one of the greats and nobody has been really close. Niekerks other PBs are insane as well, what a talent.

100m: 9.98

200m: 19.94

Please be clean

6 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Bolt is something else, isn't he? If people are discussing the greatest Olympian of all time, then this man is now the logical choice? An absolute icon. Maybe even rivalling Ali for the title of greatest sportsman of all time.

I don't think you can look past Phelps for that

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Greasy John Inverdale: "You’re the first person to ever win two gold medals in tennis.”

Andy Murray: "Venus and Serena have won four each.”

John Inverdale is literally the worst person on television. I don't think he actually knows anything, about any sport, whatsoever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

He seemed to vindicate you quite nicely on the whole power to weight vs power to surface area debate last night! 

well I didn't want to say ;)

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

John Inverdale is literally the worst person on television. I don't think he actually knows anything, about any sport, whatsoever. 

Last week he happily declared that Fiji had just won the first ever Olympic gold medal in rugby. Which was true, if you didn't count the gold medal in rugby that Australia had already won.

He's no looker and he's clearly no sports reporter.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

I don't think you can look past Phelps for that

He'd be on the shortlist with Bolt, Carl Lewis and maybe Sir Steve Redgrave? 5 golds in 5 successive Olympics in a staggering feat

Well I'm extremely glad I got my predictions wrong re.our cycling team; it seems my source fed me (and others) the story that they weren't going well to take the pressure off.  It also begs the question about Shane Sutton; was he a bad 'un and they all performed as well or better without him or did he lay the groundwork and the coaches had to follow it through. Perhaps a bit like when Villa won the European Cup under Barton when, I think it is safe to say, that was Saunders' team.  Been reading the discussion re. power to weight which is very interesting. To support the argument that in endurance  track events, power output is the key - 2 Midland cyclists, one from Wolverhampton, on from near Lichfield were vying for a place on the British Cycling Performance squad. The youth from Wolves stood about 5' 8" and weighed about 10.25  stone and had won the National 10 and 25 mile time trial Champs several times. The other was about 6' 1" and weighed perhaps 11.75 stone . They both did what was called a 'Kingcycle' tests to measure their output and although the smaller youth had a better power to weight  it was the other who got taken on and subsequently rode the Olympics. Just out of interest. 

3 hours ago, hogso said:

Bronze in the Women's Hammer. 

WB

Indeed. The first 2 were built (and looked) like Pat Roach but the British girl was quite feminine

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

He'd be on the shortlist with Bolt, Carl Lewis and maybe Sir Steve Redgrave? 5 golds in 5 successive Olympics in a staggering feat

I read an article once that argued Jesse Owens could have been as good as Bolt if he had ran in this era. He started out of holes dug into the ground, ran on uneven surfaces, with primitive spikes on a soft, absorbant surface and clocked a 10.3. That's ignoring all the advances in - or even the invention of - sport science since the 30's.

• Like 3

Ergonomics, i think you can make a decent argument for both of their lifestyles, everything Owens endured did that drive him? Vs bolts incredible lifestyle and wealth and yet he's managed to maintain his performance, how many would fall away with $30m in their back pocket?

bolts biomechanics are insane, that's what sets him apart from everyone now and everyone before IMO but the proper study of biomechanics in sports didn't even start in the states until the late 60s I think

and 1 day the photo of Owen and hitter shaking hands will be found...but as Owens said you won't find the photo of Owens and FDR...shame that recent Owens film was a bit shit

• Like 1

Â