2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

I read an article once that argued Jesse Owens could have been as good as Bolt if he had ran in this era. He started out of holes dug into the ground, ran on uneven surfaces, with primitive spikes on a soft, absorbant surface and clocked a 10.3. That's ignoring all the advances in - or even the invention of - sport science since the 30's.

Bob Hayes is my shout for the fastest man ever (with all things being equal). You can only get grainy youtube vids of it but his run in the anchor leg in 1964 is hand timed at 8.5 seconds...on a cinder track!

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Eh?

Sorry, personal opinion. I realise it's not everyone's. I believe it's barbaric and should be consigned to the same historical bin as cockfighting and foxhunting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'd say it's as much of a sport as dancing personally and if ballroom dancing was on at the Olympics I'd have no interest in that either 

'Sports' that involve humans sitting on the back of animals bouncing about but basically enjoying the ride [insert Giggity here] doth not butter my parsnips either.

I went on the Grand National in Blackpool when I was 12, where's my fudging gold medal?!

Â