Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

• 7 months later...
Just now, Craigy1874 said:

So on that basis he should be playing well while back in Italy then?

Anyone know if he is?

He's  behind current Albania international keeper Etrit Berisha who's been in sensational form the last year or so. 11 clean sheets last season. Atlanta finished 5th last season.

So hard to tell how Gollini is progressing. But from our standpoint you'd think we'd want our player out on loan to be playing games.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sne said:

He's  behind current Albania international keeper Etrit Berisha who's been in sensational form the last year or so. 11 clean sheets last season. Atlanta finished 5th last season.

So hard to tell how Gollini is progressing. But from our standpoint you'd think we'd want our player out on loan to be playing games.

Absolutely, I think we wont see him here again 

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Weird loan. Would rather have him sitting on our bench instead of Atlanta's. Gollini was never a bad keeper. 

I think steer has shown he is a good backup. Seems Johnstone has responded well by being pushed by him as well

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 15:55, Czechlad said:

Weird loan. Would rather have him sitting on our bench instead of Atlanta's. Gollini was never a bad keeper. 

I think the purpose - the only purpose of the loan was to get his wages off the books till we can arrange a permanent exit. 

He ain't coming back. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, sne said:

Has he been playing their europa league games?

I think it's fair to say he won't be coming back here. Another Seria A team will pick him up.

I read Benitez's book a while ago and Kirkland's argument came up. I think Rafa's response to him was "Chris, how many English keepers play at champions league clubs again....?"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

One of the many players I forgot still plays for Villa. Agree with the above though, he was farmed out to get him off our books so no one from the club will care if he’s playing or not. 

Sure that's part of the reason, but there must be more than that.

He's on what, £15-20k/w. We have tons of players earning way more sitting in the stands doing f all except draining the club for money.

I think unlike some others like Gabby he actually wanted to go out on loan. We have far to many players on massive wages feeling too comfortable here.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Has he been playing their europa league games?

I think it's fair to say he won't be coming back here. Another Seria A team will pick him up.

I read Benitez's book a while ago and Kirkland's argument came up. I think Rafa's response to him was "Chris, how many English keepers play at champions league clubs again....?"

Far as I can tell he's got 2 league games this season, that's it.

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Surprised he's not playing in europe.

European teams always play their second choice keeper in cup competitions.

Atalanta is a small club and might be taking the competition more serious.

Also with the Europa League now offering a back way into the Champions League I think even bigger clubs might have started to field stronger teams.

It was absolute madness for RDM to think an untested, inexperienced keeper could come to a different country and be the main man in goal for a club of our size. A club that had just been relegated and was facing a massive squad overhaul. The goalkeeper position is the first place you look for experience and it was absurd to think that Gollini could have been that guy. I can't believe Round or Wyness let him get away with it either.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

It was absolute madness for RDM to think an untested, inexperienced keeper could come to a different country and be the main man in goal for a club of our size. A club that had just been relegated and was facing a massive squad overhaul. The goalkeeper position is the first place you look for experience and it was absurd to think that Gollini could have been that guy. I can't believe Round or Wyness let him get away with it either.

While I agree with you, I imagine they thought we had enough experience at the back with players like Elphick, Chester, Hutton and Richards(dont laugh)

• Like 1

Gollini wasn't even a bad keeper. Yes he made a few mistakes that dropped us points, but he also made some really good saves as well. Plus having the likes of Richards, Hutton, Elphick, Bacuna, Tshibola, Westwood, Gardner, etc as starters in front of him didn't help. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suppose you could almost draw parallels with Johnston ... made a few mistakes early doors , cost us a few points 

Now Johnstone is a strong contender for player of the season  , no idea if Gollini could have done the same thing  though

• Like 2

On 12/11/2017 at 12:37, Zatman said:

While I agree with you, I imagine they thought we had enough experience at the back with players like Elphick, Chester, Hutton and Richards(dont laugh)

I tried very hard, but I did laugh (a bitter laugh, but still a laugh). 

Sorry! :)

Â