Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Didn’t Gollini ask to leave because we wouldn’t let him have an Italian-speaking goalkeeping coach?

There won’t be scope for fancy nonsense like that in Tony Xia’s brave new stripped-down world.

My understanding was that it was less about language, than about the way that Italian goalkeeping coaches train their players versus the way English goalkeeping coaches do. However, I might be wrong. 

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My understanding was that it was less about language, than about the way that Italian goalkeeping coaches train their players versus the way English goalkeeping coaches do. However, I might be wrong. 

I think you are right. Even so, this would be an unaffordable luxury in our new circumstances. 

21 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yep. I thought it was ludicrous but made a post about Chris Kirkland speaking in detail about having  a very similar experience with english/spanish coached and it ends up making a lot of sense.

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. I thought it was ludicrous but made a post about Chris Kirkland speaking in detail about having  a very similar experience with english/spanish coached and it ends up making a lot of sense.

I'm pretty sure that post is what I'm remembering, yeah. 

Think his shot stopping skills were better than Johnstones, but ultimately think Bruce just wanted a British player between the sticks. Keepers are expected to constantly bark out instructions to their defenders and with English not being Golinis first language think thats what it boiled down to. Don't think there was much between the two otherwise, I must admit it annoyed me that we sent our owned player away to loan someone else in. 

For the coming season I rather we play Jed Steer than loan in another youngster

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Shows you the impact he had on me as I spent a few minutes thinking when the **** was that bald Italian referee fella employed by us? 

Now I've remembered him at least he is doing well for himself. Never get why some people get upset or glad over someone having success or failure at a club and then being better or worse elsewhere. Sometimes things don't click at one club then come together at another. Life/attitude/confidence/skills all change all the time and affect things. Good luck to him. 

• Like 2

He was pants when he was here, and the whole fanbase wanted him gone. Obviously he's done well to turn his career around, but let's not pretend that there was any indication he was going on to better things. 

In any case, didn't he only want to be trained by an Italian goalkeeping coach, or have I misremembered that?

Guess it's easy to blame Bruce for literally everything these days. 

Yep. Everybody blames Bruce for everything.

Despite it being well reported, including quotes, that Gollini wanted to leave and it was his decision.
Transfer decision are always Bruce's fault as long as they're negative :) 

Bruce also replaced him with Johnsone who was the best keeper we've had in the Championship.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. Everybody blames Bruce for everything.

Despite it being well reported, including quotes, that Gollini wanted to leave and it was his decision.
Transfer decision are always Bruce's fault as long as they're negative :) 

Bruce also replaced him with Johnsone who was the best keeper we've had in the Championship.

I thought it was widely reported that he signed under Di Matteo in the knowledge that he would have an Italian goalkeeping coach. Bruce came in and changed that, and he said he wanted to leave unless we brought back an Italian.

An odd way to go about thinks as a professional footballer, but it's not as black and white that he simply wanted to leave. From all the clips I saw of him in his time here, he seemed to enjoy himself and get along with the squad well. There was no sulking ala Balotelli.

FWIW, I always liked him as a keeper. So I was one of the Villa fans that was disappointed when we sent him on his two-year loan, or whatever it was. He dropped the odd clanger, but so have Nyland, Kalinic and Steer. Not to mention Gollini is younger than all of them.

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I thought it was widely reported that he signed under Di Matteo in the knowledge that he would have an Italian goalkeeping coach. Bruce came in and changed that, and he said he wanted to leave unless we brought back an Italian.

An odd way to go about thinks as a professional footballer, but it's not as black and white that he simply wanted to leave. From all the clips I saw of him in his time here, he seemed to enjoy himself and get along with the squad well. There was no sulking ala Balotelli.

FWIW, I always liked him as a keeper. So I was one of the Villa fans that was disappointed when we sent him on his two-year loan, or whatever it was. He dropped the odd clanger, but so have Nyland, Kalinic and Steer. Not to mention Gollini is younger than all of them.

Yep. Bruce came in and brought in his own coaching staff. I don't think that's any different than any other manager would do.

Gollini didn't want to train under a non-italian coach so wanted to leave and was allowed to.

It's not a criticism of Gollini. I did quite a lengthy post earlier in this thread about how I understand where he's coming from.

But it can hardly be laid at Bruce's feet either can it?

Especially as, like I said, Bruce replaced him with Johnstone (who you left out of your list of clangers) for 18 months who was by far the best keeper we've had in the Championship. And you'd assume if it wasn't for our financial almost collapse last summer that we may well have signed Johnstone permanently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. Bruce came in and brought in his own coaching staff. I don't think that's any different than any other manager would do.

Gollini didn't want to train under a non-italian coach so wanted to leave and was allowed to.

It's not a criticism of Gollini. I did quite a lengthy post earlier in this thread about how I understand where he's coming from.

But it can hardly be laid at Bruce's feet either can it?

Especially as, like I said, Bruce replaced him with Johnstone (who you left out of your list of clangers) for 18 months who was by far the best keeper we've had in the Championship. And you'd assume if it wasn't for our financial almost collapse last summer that we may well have signed Johnstone permanently.

I don't place much blame on Bruce, except for the fact that an 18-month loan seemed to just allow his value to plummet so that we got barely anything back for him.

I always thought that Bruce didn't rate him, so the reason he sent him off for 18-months was because he thought that if it was a 6-month loan, we'd be stuck with him again in 6 months time.

I only left Johnstone out of my list of goalkeepers that made clangers because he was never a permanent AVFC player, like the others. Johnstone made clangers too. All goalkeepers do, especially younger ones like Johnstone and Gollini.

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don't place much blame on Bruce, except for the fact that an 18-month loan seemed to just allow his value to plummet so that we got barely anything back for him.

I always thought that Bruce didn't rate him, so the reason he sent him off for 18-months was because he thought that if it was a 6-month loan, we'd be stuck with him again in 6 months time.

I'd have thought it was probably more that Gollini said he wouldn't work under a non-Italian coach and Bruce had no intention of bringing one in just to appease one player.

Was it even bruce's decision? Like I said earlier, all the bad transfer decisions seem to be put at bruce's feet, and the good ones were the "club"

Â