Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

13 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

It is an absolutely ridiculous request in fairness

Isn't it just. I've never heard of anything similar before and frankly I think it's worthy of criticism. Of course you can argue we shouldn't have signed him, and I completely agree with that, but that doesn't make him any less of a ridiculous diva.

3 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

i think we might live to regret this one.

I see this guy being something similar to de gea at united.

He needs time to grow and he will be a world class keeper one day.

I have literally no idea what you're basing that on. It's an incredibly bold claim - to suggest he will one day be world class, ie one of the best two or three goalkeepers in the world - and doesn't reflect anything whatsoever that he showed in his brief time here. 

I'm prepared to take the other side of this bet to be honest. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, villa89 said:

Not sure how so many people are jumping to this conclusion. I never saw him do anything special for us this season at all. He looked like a woeful keeper at the start of the season and then improved to just be okay. Did he ever even get an MOTM award? 

Thats true, but to make a a comparison, when we all thought that Grealish is the best thing since sliced bread about 18 months ago, did he not look like a woefull player when compared to solid premier league wingers? Did he ever get MOTM award?

Keepers take time to develop and reach their prime when they are older, and for me Gollini showed all the signs of having the qualities of becoming a very good keeper. 

Also, his reviews would not be as harsh if he didnt make a few small time mistakes that cost us points. Mistakes that every young keeper makes.

• Like 1

The fact that some journos over here were reporting the interest in him from Juve last  sept/oct in the light of him being a possible successor to Buffon might indicate that some people who know a thing or two about goalkeepers thought he might be a bit good.

But you know, what would Juve know about goalkeepers?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, romavillan said:

The fact that some journos over here were reporting the interest in him from Juve last  sept/oct in the light of him being a possible successor to Buffon might indicate that some people who know a thing or two about goalkeepers thought he might be a bit good.

But you know, what would Juve know about goalkeepers?

Are you offering to take the other side of my bet that he won't be 'world class'?

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Are you offering to take the other side of my bet that he won't be 'world class'?

Nope, I'm saying that the club who have had Buffon, Peruzzi, Zoff and Tacconi in the last 30 or so years might know how to spot a decent keeper.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Nope, I'm saying that the club who have had Buffon, Peruzzi, Zoff and Tacconi in the last 30 or so years might know how to spot a decent keeper.

Well, they didn't end up doing anything about it, so they can't have been that smitten with him.

6 minutes ago, romavillan said:

the articles were around in sept/october last year, the loan move to Atalanta doesn't mean they never will follow that up though does it?

You do realise that rumours like that are always started by a players' agent trying to big up their client? 

• Like 2

I am sad that it he did not work out in our team, I see potential in him. But sadly we are not in a position where we can let a goalkeeper cost us goals (ironically we replace him with a similar goalkeeper). He's a good shot stopper, but also has a lot of weaknesses. He does remind me of a young De Gea, although not the same quality. Maybe he can return one day, or we don't rush to sell him, as he could have re-sale value in the future. 

That he is upset that the goalkeeper coach was fired, I find to be quite normal. He liked the Italian, he doesn't like our new one. This happens in all jobs, where a change of boss may result in personal clashes and other problems.  The thing that annoys me the most about his comments are that he is speaking like he never plans to return again, which is sad and unprofessional. 

I don't rate Pep, but he said it's important to talk to players on an individual level in their own language. It's no shock that an Italian goalkeeper might want an Italian goalkeeping coach, certainly while he's developing. So to then bin the coach seems a bit odd and I can understand why he'd be annoyed. Though I don't think airing it out in the media was a good decision.

Edited by kurtsimonw

33 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

You do realise that rumours like that are always started by a players' agent trying to big up their client? 

wan't just calciomercato though IIRC, I think there were actual journalists involved

• 1 month later...

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-heres-how-pierluigi-12751991

Maybe a bit more telling:

Aston Villa: Here's how Pierluigi Gollini is getting on at Atalanta

Gollini left Villa after the arrival of Manchester United goalkeeper Sam Johnstone in January

Pierluigi Gollini left Aston Villa in January after learning he would be behind Sam Johnstone and Mark Bunn in the pecking order.

The Italian linked up with Serie A side Atalanta on an initial 18-month loan deal but it is expected to be made permanent.

Gollini arrived during the summer transfer window as one of Roberto Di Matteo’s first signings but found it difficult to settle and made a few costly errors early on.

And after failing to cut the mistakes out of his game, Steve Bruce decided to demote him in December.

But how is he getting on?

Gollini is yet to make an appearance for his new team. The 21-year-old is firmly behind Etrit Berisha at Atalanta and watched from the bench as his side lost 7-1 to Inter Milan at the weekend.

Gollini celebrates his birthday on Saturday and will be hoping to receive the early gift of being told he is starting the following day’s game against Pescara with Atalanta boss Gian Piero Gasperini expected to ring the changes following last weekend’s humiliation.

How are Atalanta getting on?

La Dea are challenging for Europe at the top of Serie A. They were sitting pretty in fifth place until their mauling by Inter. They now sit eight points behind third-placed Napoli, who occupy the final Champions League place.

Atalanta are just two points behind Inter and are two points better off than AC Milan.

What has Gollini said since leaving?

"I returned to Italy with the intention of staying and continuing my career here.

"The condition I had set my agent for me to stay in Birmingham was to have an Italian goalkeeping coach. That was the situation, with Massimo Battara, until the manager Roberto Di Matteo was fired.

"I played a great deal at Villa, but I wasn’t happy with the training regime.”

What did Bruce say after letting him go?

"In truth, he is a young lad and Aston Villa came too soon for him.

"We will keep a very close eye on how he develops during his time there."

He joined mid season when Atalanta were having an amazing season and bar the weekend they've continued to do well.

Berisha is also much more experienced in Seria A, maybe he'll get a chance soon though given they shipped 7 to Inter.

It's an 18 month loan so would imagine he'll feature more next season for them. Can't see him coming back.

The whole thing about this seems odd to me. Why an 18 month loan to somewhere where he is unlikely to get much first team action. ...and why didn't we just sell him ? - and then why did we bring in another keeper on loan - who is equally inexperienced - and arguably worse ?

Hoping for smithie from QPR in the summer.

Highly unlikley Gollini returns IMO. 

• Like 1

Â