Memory Lane

maqroll

On 12/10/2022 at 09:50, Ingram85 said:

I’d love to go back and re-do from when I was 17 to about 21 knowing what I know now.

Probably everyone is the same. That's definitely the age when I might have had a chance to prevent the mess my life turned into. 

13 hours ago, villa89 said:

Probably everyone is the same. That's definitely the age when I might have had a chance to prevent the mess my life turned into. 

Well, it's subject of countless books and films, isn't it? And the kicker is always that you might end up making things even worse. There's at least one rather attractive woman I missed out on, but who knows? Think I'll stick. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, useless said:

There are moments from our lives forgotten never to be remembered again, days, months, years, worth of memories from our lives lost to the darkness of time.

"Memories of our lives" are just synapses that haven't fired so the they die. Like everything eventually does.

Cheery thought!

Well,I could be the odd one out here,but if I could live my life all over again I would not change anything.Even the bad things  eg bieng in a boys home I would not change because it is an experiance that I had that taught me something.So.I enjoyed the good times ( of which there were many ) and I learnt from the bad times ( of which there were few )

2 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Well,I could be the odd one out here,but if I could live my life all over again I would not change anything.Even the bad things  eg bieng in a boys home I would not change because it is an experiance that I had that taught me something.So.I enjoyed the good times ( of which there were many ) and I learnt from the bad times ( of which there were few )

I would agree with your sentiments because things could easily turn out worse.

Stephen Fry wrote a book called Making History, where the characters went back in time and killed Hitler; the result was that someone more crafty took his place and decided not persecute the Jews, but got them to develop the atomic bomb, which the new guy used to nuke everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Take me back to the 90s please

Id happily go back to nokia 3210 and dial up internet if it meant the planet was like it was back then

Gulf War 1. 

Genocide and Civil War in Yugoslavia. 

The first bombing of the World Trade Centre. 

The bombing of Manchester City Centre.  

OK........it wasn't all bad.  

20 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Gulf War 1. 

So were the 70s and 80s shit then because there was bombings then?

Bit of an odd reason to highlight that the 90s were shit when there has been human disasters in every erA

• Like 1

Sometimes when I read a novel the story can feel like one of my memories

I think dreams, memories, and stories can all feel very similar, as they're all kind of a mix of memory and imagination.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I would agree with your sentiments because things could easily turn out worse.

Stephen Fry wrote a book called Making History, where the characters went back in time and killed Hitler; the result was that someone more crafty took his place and decided not persecute the Jews, but got them to develop the atomic bomb, which the new guy used to nuke everyone.

Yep. I think there have to be some conditions attached to this thought experiment. 

I'm pretty happy where I am, but if I could just tweak a few details here and there,  and guarantee I'd end up back here with a few extra good memories, of course I'd go for it. 

But if we're talking butterfly's wing theory, where everything could change unpredictably, then no, not worth the risk. 

I think it would only be worth it if your life was so bad you had nothing to lose. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So were the 70s and 80s shit then because there was bombings then?

Bit of an odd reason to highlight that the 90s were shit when there has been human disasters in every erA

Either you missed the joke or it was a rubbish joke. 

I was suggesting that blowing up Manchester was a positive.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Gulf War 1. 

You forgot the IRA mortar attack on 10 Downing St

The Warrington bombing

Baltic Exchange bomb

Bishopsgate Bomb

Docklands Bomb

Yeah 90s all the way baby

• Like 1

Â