Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Disagree.

If you look at the best players under the whole Bruce era they are: Kodjia, Chester, Jedinak, Johstone, Terry, Snodgrass, Hutton, Adomah and Grealish. 

4 of those were RDM signings, 2 were already here before then. So the only 3 signings Bruce made from that list were Johnstone, Snodgrass and Terry - none of whom he left for the new manager.  2 years down the line, its clear Chester and Kodjia are not the same players anymore, and Hutton & Jedinak are close to retirement.

McGinn is the best Bruce addition, and Hourihane probably the next best but even he draws debates on whether he should be replaced (just look at the last 5 pages in his thread).

RDM didnt leave any loans for Bruce either, just quality players we owned outright. It was Bruces own decision to rip that squad up and go down the short term route of 1 year deals and loan signings. He himself complained in every post match interview this season how half his squad is missing from last year and having to start all over again so i dont know how you can claim we have a better squad now than that Bruce started with.

Bruce October 2016: Gollini, Hutton, Amavi, Chester, Elphick / Jedinak, Westwood, Grealish / Adomah, Ayew, Kodjia -  / subs / McCormack, Baker, Gestede, Bacuna / de Laet / Agbonlahor / Bunn - Remember players are 2 years younger and closer to their prime like Kodj, Jedi, Hutton

Smith October 2018: Nyland, Hutton, Taylor, Chester, Tuanzebe* / Hourihane, McGinn, Grealish / Bolasie*, Kodjia, Abraham* -  / subs / Whelan, Bjarnason, Hogan, Bunn, El Ghazi, El Mohammady & no defenders *also 5 loan players that will need replacing next season

I think Bruce started with a much better squad that was far far more balanced, especially if you look at all the players on the books and not just the starting xi

Even if you think the current group of players is better, you have to admit theres not much in it and Bruce only managed 12th that first season. 

I concur

I remember towards the back end of last year he was back in did well then terry came back and he was dropped complwtely. Imagine what that does to your confidence?

Bruce letting him and go and we paying most of the wages is absolutely pathetic. We might as well have kept him. I was under the impression hull were paying his wages at the very least. Really idiotic from bruce.

• Thanks 1

I'm happy to have him here as backup for the remainder of the season/his contract, and he seems a decent pro, too. I don't think he partners well with Chester but would much prefer him to Jedinak; I'd also rather see him at CB with Bree at RB than the recent defensive line-up, especially considering Elmo's abysmal form. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think jedinaks done here hence why elphick is coming back.

Jedinak has had very little game time here. I think Smith will move him on and I think its right time now.

I’d be amazed if he goes Dem, nobody is going to take him on the wages he is on and he would be unlikely to walk away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d be amazed if he goes Dem, nobody is going to take him on the wages he is on and he would be unlikely to walk away.

I thought there was interest from Australia for him? Perhaps they will wait until the summer before making a move.

But regardless of say there is no chance he will get a new deal in the summer when his contract expires.

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I thought there was interest from Australia for him? Perhaps they will wait until the summer before making a move.

But regardless of say there is no chance he will get a new deal in the summer when his contract expires.

Agreed re the summer.

But in January, just don't see it happening.

• Like 1

Â