Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

Could understand the decision to let him go IF we had cover at CB. Under the circumstances it was crazy. 

Good to have him back. Still hoping we sign a CB in the window though. Good to have Elphick as cover but I wouldn’t be comfortable with him being a regular starter. 

• Like 2

Shame he misses the Leeds game today because of it. 

Hope he comes back and does well, he obviously is a good player in this league, we just haven't seen much of it in a Villa shirt. I do worry about him passing out from the back though in a Smith system, hopefully Smith can improve that aspect of his game though. 

Playing him next to Chester and within a week we’ll have people saying he should’ve stayed out on loan. But instead of Chester he will do well for us. Still think all 3 of our cbs (Chester, Elphick and Axel) all need a dominating partner to come in. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Hope he comes back and does well, he obviously is a good player in this league, we just haven't seen much of it in a Villa shirt. I do worry about him passing out from the back though in a Smith system, hopefully Smith can improve that aspect of his game though. 

Did it comfortably at Bournemouth but looked a bag of nerves in a villa shirt.

11 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I wasn’t overly keen during his time here, but who knows what sort of coaching he received under RDM and SB. Under Eddie Howe he was captain and lead Bournemouth to promotion, so hopefully Dean Smith and the coaches can get a tune out of him. 

A quick flick through a Hull forum, they seem to be gutted he's leaving including comments about him sorting out their defence and showing the others how it's done. Sounds like he's been playing well there then. 

Hopefully Smith can get him back to his Bournemouth best. 

Anyone still feeling Bruce did an OK job the following post from the fan of another club is certainly pretty damning:

"If Brucie wasn't such a ****ing idiot we wouldn't have had him in the first place" 

Edited by sidcow

From what I have seen and heard he's been playing pretty well at Hull and though his time at Villa he has been poor, hopefully he will be coming back to us more positively and can push on and cut out the mistakes.

I would definitely start him next game (that he's available) and line up;

Bree      Elphick     Chester   Hutton/Taylor

However typing our defence out makes me wince 🙈

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

I find this very bizarre. Either he cant be recalled until January, in which case Hull should have been allowed to play him today as its still December.. or he could have been recalled at anytime hence why he didnt play for Hull today - in which case what on earth were we waiting for??

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

From what I have seen and heard he's been playing pretty well at Hull and though his time at Villa he has been poor, hopefully he will be coming back to us more positively and can push on and cut out the mistakes.

At least it gets Elmo out of the firing line who has been utterly abysmal these last 5 games or so.

Personally I feel there will be another centre back coming in as well, DS mentioned Chester has been playing with an injury but had no choice to keep playing him. There should be 4 senior centre backs at any club 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

The lack of pace in that centre half pairing scares me with the high press we usually play. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Could understand the decision to let him go IF we had cover at CB. Under the circumstances it was crazy. 

Good to have him back. Still hoping we sign a CB in the window though. Good to have Elphick as cover but I wouldn’t be comfortable with him being a regular starter. 

Bang on.

Based on what we have witnessed under the last two manager's I cannot argue with the second part either.

However, I have a genuine feeling it's now going to be third time lucky for him.

His performances for Hull have been very good and he has been leading their backline very well.

If he can sustain this under Smith then he can be as effective as any defender in this league. He just needs that chance imo.

It was rotten luck how he got dropped the minute Terry returned from injury. I just don't think the last manager rated him.

Also signing another decent CB in the window and we should have 4 decent CB's all competing for places.

17 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

That's not suprising.

..then goes to Hull and order is restored.

He won't be so nervy upon this return.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

7 hours ago, Tony said:

The lack of pace in that centre half pairing scares me with the high press we usually play. 

I agree mate, though I don't think Bree is much quicker either, the loss of Tuanzebe has really hurt us. 

Hopefully any new (defensive) signings can add an injection of pace (& power) to our team.  

Â