Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not sure your original point does hold about walking the gauntlet back to your car.  Does Aston have a high crime rate? Yes, probably more the surrounding areas than Aston itself.  Are you likely to get that on match day? No because of the type of crimes in Aston plus the amount of people in the Villa Park vicinity before and after the game reduces that type of crime. Does crime happen? Of course but that’s not the point you were originally making. It’s not a valid reason or evidence of enough of a reason to move.  More chance of a crime committed on you by a fellow Villa or opposition fan on that day than a normal Aston crime.  That chance is the same wherever the ground is.

Not true - VP matchday crime is higher than most. There's an official west midlands police report concluding exactly that.

Google it if you don't believe me.

42 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Some stadium that would be, the Holte would we circa 200,000, imagine the intimidation 

We'd still lose to shit like Burnley

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would say Aston is ripe for development. 

Perry Barr is getting a lot of investment at the moment due to the Commonwealth Games, the City Centre is slowly starting to spread out - there is a 50 storey tower planned opposite that Huge Matalan.  The Gun Quarter is chocka with development.

I'm sure by the time we're looking at anything beyond a new North Stand there will be a tram route down Lichfield Road to Star City which will always be a big driver for regeneration. 

Maybe big developments at Villa Park can be a catalyst for this.  

The council are spending the next few years developing Ladywood. I would bet my bottom dollar eyes will turn towards Aston after that. 

We already have 2 mainline Railway Stations which makes us as well connected as any club side.  

People have been saying that for years. But if anything in terms of development Aston is getting worse. 

Stumps and the sports and leisure centre have long gone. As far I know replaced with nothing.

It's difficult to see anything getting of the ground there. 

• Like 1

On 10/04/2021 at 22:10, ender4 said:

Squeezing in extra seats somewhere? I don’t know.  But Purslow has said many times that they don’t plan an expansion of the ground... so I don’t know what they mean.

Maybe add in another exec box or two in one of the corners? That gets counted in capacity. I notice Burnley are filling in one of their corners at Turf Moor but dosen't look like seating.

8 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Fans who want an oval Villa Park VS fans who want a theme park VS fans who want to move to a new stadium 

wrestling brawl GIF by WWE

Me wanting a museum:

Lonely The Simpsons GIF

I'm gonna strongly disagree with you for one purpose

frisbee GIF

But yeah I actually think you're right whilst at the same time thinking that ship has sailed with Manchester getting the football league museum 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Not true - VP matchday crime is higher than most. There's an official west midlands police report concluding exactly that.

Google it if you don't believe me.

I don’t think you are reading what I wrote.  I said normal day to day crime in the area is lower on match days and the crimes are more like from other villa fans or non-villa fans like public disorder arrests and match day incidents.  These happen wherever the ground is, which creates higher VP match day crimes rates compared to a normal day.

So match day crime rate is higher but the type of crime is different from a normal day in Aston.  Match day is public disorder type arrests whereas a normal day is burglary and gang/drug crime. 

On 10/04/2021 at 19:42, thabucks said:

Be gutted if they build a fully wrap around north stand. Villa Park is four unique stands always has been and always should be in my opinion. Any joining of the stands with the witton will be a compromised design. A single tier stand like Spuds would add circa 10.5k more seats taking us to 53k... you could then sq/curve the corners of the Trinity but keep a separation from the new (sponsor?) stand adding a couple more thousand. Next sq the upper holte and its concourse - rebuilding the upper part & exterior to increase size. Then finally somehow tackle the Witton with a bigger stand to take it to 65k .... 🤔🤔😬 step by step ... 

There hasn't always been 4 separate stands.

Villa_Park_1907.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I would say Aston is ripe for development. 

Perry Barr is getting a lot of investment at the moment due to the Commonwealth Games, the City Centre is slowly starting to spread out - there is a 50 storey tower planned opposite that Huge Matalan.  The Gun Quarter is chocka with development.

The City Centre will undoubtedly bust out of the inner ring road shortly. 

I'm sure by the time we're looking at anything beyond a new North Stand there will be a tram route down Lichfield Road to Star City which will always be a big driver for regeneration. 

Maybe big developments at Villa Park can be a catalyst for this.  

The council are spending the next few years developing Ladywood. I would bet my bottom dollar eyes will turn towards Aston after that. 

We already have 2 mainline Railway Stations which makes us as well connected as any club side.  

Birmingham is the future, i've tasted it.

On 10/04/2021 at 22:10, ender4 said:

Squeezing in extra seats somewhere? I don’t know.  But Purslow has said many times that they don’t plan an expansion of the ground... so I don’t know what they mean.

The only other way I could imagine is to lower the pitch and add some further seats at the front. Rangers did this at Ibrox to squeeze in about another 800 seats before they ran out of money.

36 minutes ago, maqroll said:

There hasn't always been 4 separate stands.

Villa_Park_1907.jpg

Yeah sort of forgot about that ... Point is I don’t don’t want a bowl stadium as for me you take away the x4 stand nature of the place you’ll destroy any of its last heritage and IMO the we might as well move if that gets lost. Not a debate worth having as we won’t be leaving VP so it’s a mute discussion. What I will say is I wouldn’t want to move unless part of a huge regeneration project closer to Aston University/city centre... 

Through careful design you can easily keep the four separated stand identity - whilst continuing the corner of the Trinity and replacing the North Stand similar to the below. 

36B9604B-9E6B-4839-B21B-AA6010CA3259.jpeg

C91618F3-0440-4185-8988-97C1C94FFE06.jpeg

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think you are reading what I wrote.  I said normal day to day crime in the area is lower on match days and the crimes are more like from other villa fans or non-villa fans like public disorder arrests and match day incidents.  These happen wherever the ground is, which creates higher VP match day crimes rates compared to a normal day.

So match day crime rate is higher but the type of crime is different from a normal day in Aston.  Match day is public disorder type arrests whereas a normal day is burglary and gang/drug crime. 

Again wrong.

Villa have no big reputation as troublesome fans. The increase in crime on matchdays was driven by car crime - that was the findings of the report.

Read the report. 

That's the thing- well designed. Villa Park has never worked through a masterplan, its been a hodge podge of projects based on varying degrees of budgets. I know its very hard to give Man United any credit but they have worked through 2 masterplans of Old Trafford to get to the stadium they have today. Of course being annoyingly successful and well supported also helps.

For example at Villa the Doug Ellis sticks out over the Holte End in a funny angle. The original plan was to just to bolt seats on the Holte End when the DE was built. They then changed their minds to build the 2 tier stand. Then the DE lower had to be re profiled as the seats were too narrow resulting in the bit of a mess we have now.

I am fairly relaxed about having  a wrap around new North. It would keep the noise in and the cold out. It would be more of a horseshoe  than bowl with the Holte being splendidly  isolated.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3

As per my post a couple up. It would make sense IMO to look at this area of the ground first so any loss of capacity with the north being rebuilt will be somewhat offset ... 

EB736F8F-69CD-4617-B814-1D969BB476FF.jpeg

60F395C0-F29B-4312-B790-0B9DD7245DD5.jpeg

You can easily add a few thousand seats in this area and improve the atmosphere and views without continuing the upper tier all the way around. The new north can then be a replica of the Holte or single tier like spuds keeping the appearance of four stands... Never want VP to be a bowl or horseshoe personally 

Edited by thabucks

Â