Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Posted (edited)

I wonder if this thing about needing to grow turnover to spend more when in Europe will make them reconsider. 

If we're going to get out spent by smaller clubs not in Europe and absolutely trounced by bigger clubs who are in Europe they're going to need to grow Turnover expansively and quickly.  They absolutely definitely won't want those years of smaller capacity to hit 3 or 4 years from now because that really will hamstring us. 

It's obviously caught them on the hop if they voted against it.  They may need a quick rethink. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wonder if this thing about needing to grow turnover to spend more when in Europe will make them reconsider. 

If we're going to get out spent by smaller clubs not in Europe and absolutely trounced by bigger clubs who are in Europe they're going to need to grow Turnover expansively and quickly.  They absolutely definitely won't want those years of smaller capacity to hit 3 or 4 years from now because that really will hamstring us. 

I know. That's why none of what was said in December stacked up really. I know some have made a good argument that not having the NS open would affect revenue while the build was happening but it seemed very short term given we'd only end up worsening  the vicious cycle we are in against the scab 6.

• Like 2

We need to get better in every aspect of the match day experience by upgrading the concourses, transportation as well raising the spend per seat and lengthen the time fans are in and around the ground. They can then justify charging more once the standard of the experience be it GA or GA+ has improved. Again will point to the fact that Heck said it’s about all fans and not one stand and once they’ve upgraded the facilities in place right now across the board, then you look again at a new North Stand.

2 hours ago, mrchnry said:

Next season will be 3 and a half seasons on the waiting list for me. Last year I went from in the 11 thousands to the 10 thousands. The demand is definitely there to fill 50k+ 

Similar here. When I joined the waiting list I was around 10,000th and over the 3-4 years I move closer by around 500 places per year.  That tells me that most people are taking up the chance of a season ticket when offered. 

Edited by ender4

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Right, I see.
In my own experience,  I know a lot of people who are members - purely because its the only way to get tickets, but on on the waiting list. Many of these are parents of kids who want to go and so they go too. May mates who are season ticket holders now have multiple kids who want season tickets, so yes they would be those who are members but want season tickets. My own extended family are mostly members who are happy to go to half the matches, a few existing season ticket holders.

I dont see why my experience would be unusual, therefore I reckon there's some who are member who are on the waiting list, but many more who are not. Like, maybe 10/90 split.
I hear from the club that there's over 35k on the waiting list. Now who knows how many follow through but most you'd think would or why bother?

There's no point go around the houses on this. You either think the demand is there for big crowds or you don't, but I do and I think the evidence supports it.

Yes agree. I have 8 memberships and 3 places on the season ticket waiting list. The 3 people go to most matches, the other 5 memberships are used to rotate between 20 people who all like to attend a few matches here and there. 

If we had a bigger ground with easy to get tickets, I think I could get 15 out of the 20 people to attend a lot of the matches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just a general query out of interest, what made you want a season ticket 3-4 years ago and not before when they were easy to get?  I assume the availability of tickets when you want before put you off getting a season ticket whereas now it’s harder to get a GA ticket?

Follow up question to that, if we did build a 60k+ stadium and GA tickets were easily attainable any time would you go back to getting GA tickets when you want or would you still want a season ticket?

Good question. We were awful for a decade and basically lost every time I attended a match in the Premier League. I had no interest in attending many matches in the Championship.

What changed? I’m not sure. The interest in Premier League football after being in the Championship, Villa doing better rather than circling the drain and the optimism around that, lots of mates who all suddenly wanted to attend matches as well, post Covid wanting to make the most of live events rather than watching on TV, kids who also wanted to attend some matches, likeable players. Maybe a little of that PL football is an event nowadays that everyone wants to be at?

If we had easily available tickets in a 60k stadium, I’d still want the season ticket as I’ve now caught the bug of seeing Villa live. It’s also a cost saving compared to me having to spend £63/£50 a ticket this season. It would mean upping my attendance from 10-12 matches a season to 19 games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It must be very hard for young people to go to games. I would fear we are potentially making it the pursuit of the comfortable in society of we keep using prices and keeping capacity around 42k. We have to think about the fans who will be the next generation of diehards. 

Someone has posted on skyscrapercity:

"Some sort of cryptic SM post today from Gabby Agbonlahor about filming a video for the club and saying exciting plans for the future and "the stadium is in good hands". I'd expect some sort of stadium update with this video"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

"Some sort of cryptic SM post today from Gabby Agbonlahor about filming a video for the club and saying exciting plans for the future and "the stadium is in good hands". I'd expect some sort of stadium update with this video"

What is skyscraper city?

Edited by ender4

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Where you are in the waiting list is factual

The demand is definitely there to fill 50k+ part isn’t factual as you’re assuming all the people before you will definitely buy a season ticket, there is no obligation and many people have just put their name or family members down to give an option in the future and I’m assuming many of those 10 thousand probably get the GA tickets currently of the current 42k crowd sizes.

Well if you want one example of that not being the case then you can have mine.

Me and my son have a season ticket. My youngest son is on the waiting list at about 17,000 and has barely moved for three seasons. I would get him one if offered for next season next to us. He can't attend games with us as the seats next to us are season tickets too. 

This must be a similar case for many.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Someone's asked Gabby to be on camera? Heck out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

What is skyscraper city?

A website where people discuss construction, in particular there is a Birmingham section.  It's a forum rather like Villatalk. 

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

Me and my son have a season ticket. My youngest son is on the waiting list at about 17,000 and has barely moved for three seasons. I would get him one if offered for next season next to us. He can't attend games with us as the seats next to us are season tickets too. 

Fair enough! I know loads of people who have just put their name down and I honestly doubt a lot of them will fork out probably £1k per year when they get a chance for ticket in a few years time.  I don’t think some realise how much season tickets are and getting value for money by attending all games.

That’s also the problem that people won’t take up the season tickets because the available seats won’t be next to friends or family because a seat popping up free next to those already having season tickets is unlikely and moving 3 season tickets to seat together is impossible these days.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just a general query out of interest, what made you want a season ticket 3-4 years ago and not before when they were easy to get?  I assume the availability of tickets when you want before put you off getting a season ticket whereas now it’s harder to get a GA ticket?

Follow up question to that, if we did build a 60k+ stadium and GA tickets were easily attainable any time would you go back to getting GA tickets when you want or would you still want a season ticket?

I had a season ticket but then I moved to Manchester for a few years. Came back just before covid as I was moving to New Zealand, which covid ruined. Been on the waiting list since. I went home and away during the championship years. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Similar for me. My youngest is villa mad, and on the waiting list about 25k. She’s probably moved about 2k or so over last 2-3 years. I go with other family members and friends and have for years, but all around me are season ticket holders. 
so I can’t really get my daughter a ticket or I’d have to move too (not easy to organise) which means leaving other kid and family behind,
so instead I have to apologise to her every other week and leave her behind.

Every now and then she gets a ticket if one of the group is on holiday, and it’s like she’s won wonka’s golden ticket. 

this is why I’m personally so annoyed with the delaying of the north stand rebuild. I thought I can’t be alone in this position - we’re risking losing a generation of game going fans here. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheLeftSide said:

Similar for me. My youngest is villa mad, and on the waiting list about 25k. She’s probably moved about 2k or so over last 2-3 years. I go with other family members and friends and have for years, but all around me are season ticket holders. 
so I can’t really get my daughter a ticket or I’d have to move too (not easy to organise) which means leaving other kid and family behind,
so instead I have to apologise to her every other week and leave her behind.

Every now and then she gets a ticket if one of the group is on holiday, and it’s like she’s won wonka’s golden ticket. 

this is why I’m personally so annoyed with the delaying of the north stand rebuild. I thought I can’t be alone in this position - we’re risking losing a generation of game going fans here. 

This quote should be brought to the attention of Heck. 

It's much more than just a few extra seats at a cost. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â