Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

3 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I just googled it on twitter and found a forum where I saw some rumours from the press that said they don't know many facts @terrytini. Hope this helps :thumb:

Teeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy'sssss gonna kill ya.?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

How can Doug Ellis look like a better owner every year since he has sold Villa? Its baffling we have had 2 billionaire owners both of which come in with good intentions and lots of big ideas- and yet we are on a seemingly endless downward spiral .  Just thought I say that to cheer everyone up.

My only superficial stab at it is......We have no ability in spending money, just a hit and miss format.....with a bit more miss than hit.

Since we have moved away from a thrifty environment, we are a Wilderness.

We need to resume trying to build a team and not trying to buy one.

sometimes, the old methods are the best.....if you ain't got it....you can't waste it.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

My only superficial stab at it is......We have no ability in spending money, just a hit and miss format.....with a bit more miss than hit.

sometimes, the old methods are the best.....if you ain't got it....you can't waste it.

Having thought long and hard about it- Villa are screwed. This was the final chance to sort Villa out and we have blown it.  We will become a slightly better version of Sheffield Wednesday,, wandering about in the football wilderness for decades.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Having thought long and hard about it- Villa are screwed. This was the final chance to sort Villa out and we have blown it.  We will become a slightly better version of Sheffield Wednesday,, wandering about in the football wilderness for decades.

As strange as it seems, because it can seem like that....I think we have flirted with Lerner and Xia's money to a lesser degree.

I think we need to go back to old a trusted ways.....and to some degree we have already with last summer, January was a bit of miss with Hogan....the others are legacies.

To be honest, I have only just reacclimatised to this league from years in the Prem......but to my amazement, I have see players from other teams, who have attracted, very modest fee's, give us a hard time, for whatever reason...pace, power, tenacity, initiative .all sorts.

With the right things in place, we can turn this around.....but getting that platform is easier said than done....In the nicest possible way, I think our big stadium and fan base is now a bit of an albatross, in this position.....No I am not suggesting getting rid of either, just saying.

I am just not sure, we have still quite come to terms with where we are.

I just don't think we can do it like we have been trying.

ps not sure what they stuffed us with most....the goal or McCormack?.....**** me we never seen that coming either did we.

Edited by TRO

I saw the rumours in my usual place of disappointment, BBC's Gossip Column.

In any case I don't really know what this means for Aston Villa.

I do know that I bought in to Tony's claims of Europe, although I didn't think it would come to fruition in the time he claimed.

I'm with @TRO though, just because we assume it to be a certain way, it ain't necessarily so.

Who's to truly know if new ownership won't be inspired by more effective thinking?

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

As strange as it seems, because it can seem like that....I think we have flirted with Lerner and Xia's money to a lesser degree.

I think we need to go back to old a trusted ways.....and to some degree we have already with last summer, January was a bit of miss with Hogan....the others are legacies.

To be honest, I have only just reacclimatised to this league from years in the Prem......but to my amazement, I have see players from other teams, who have attracted, very modest fee's, give us a hard time, for whatever reason...pace, power, tenacity, initiative .all sorts.

With the right things in place, we can turn this around.....but getting that platform is easier said than done....In the nicest possible way, I think our big stadium and fan base is now a bit of an albatross, in this position.....No I am not suggesting getting rid of either, just saying.

I am just not sure, we have still quite come to terms with where we are.

I just don't think we can do it like we have been trying.

ps not sure what they stuffed us with most....the goal or McCormack?.....**** me we never seen that coming either did we.

In the Doug Ellis \ Brian little era - they had informal agreement of not buying anyone over about 27 - 28 years old. Wouldn't be a bad foundation to start off on.

Edited by hippo
correction

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But with a limit on capital outflow, moving money out of his homeland has become increasingly difficult in recent times.

It’s one of the reasons why Villa have had to cut back in recent transfer windows.

I think this is the most worrying part (if true). We have mostly heard about FFP putting restrictions on us, but the limit on capital outflow out of China surly must play a part as well. I guess that's what comes along with having an owner from China, and what I and others had slight concerns about from the begininng. Nothing at all against Tony, but having an owner living in a dictatorship that doesn't respect rule of law will always be risky, because you don't know what new rule will suddenly come up.

In a way it shouldn't matter as we should be able to be sustainable by ourselves and not dependent on the owner putting in new money now and then, but when it's needed, it really is needed.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

In the Doug Ellis \ Brian little era - they had informal agreement of not buying anyone over about 27 - 28 years old. Would be a bad foundation to start off on.

It is stuff like that hippo.

But equally, we have to stop the extravagance seeping to wages too.....I guess we have no choice, but to continue with loans, but they should be carefully and strategically planned.

i.e what is the point of loans, if we are not getting game time out of them.....We have to become leaner and meaner.

The academy has to step up now......Father has passed away, you have to become a man a bit quicker than we would have liked, but needs must.

as the saying goes.....when the going gets tough , The tough ,gets going.

There is one thing, I am sure about, our History and past glories will not save us......They faced This in the late seventies, and overcame adversity...... but those boys were brought in from around the country on a shoestring and bought for their character as much as their ability and they galvanised in to a unit....The rest is history of its own.

We need to try and do it again.

NB Blimey, Gabby is only just going on his 55k per week, allegedly a parting gift from Paul Lambert.....thats how long these things fester for.....its shocking....its like japanese knotweed.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

It is stuff like that hippo.

But equally, we have to stop the extravagance seeping to wages too.....I guess we have no choice, but to continue with loans, but they should be carefully and strategically planned.

i.e what is the point of loans, if we are not getting game time out of them.....We have to become leaner and meaner.

The academy has to step up now......Father has passed away, you have to become a man a bit quicker than we would have liked, but needs must.

as the saying goes.....when the going gets tough , The tough ,gets going.

There is one thing, I am sure about, our History and past glories will not save us......They faced This in the late seventies, and overcame adversity...... but those boys were brought in from around the country on a shoestring and bought for their character as much as their ability and they galvanised in to a unit....The rest is history of its own.

We need to try and do it again.

Playing devils advocate - when we were relegated we had nothing, what quality players we had didn't want to be there - sure the amounts spent were a lot - but we were starting from a very low base.  In a sense were spending to tread water.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Playing devils advocate - when we were relegated we had nothing, what quality players we had didn't want to be there - sure the amounts spent were a lot - but we were starting from a very low base.  In a sense were spending to tread water.

We were painting the stands in the days of Pat Matthews....its been worse, much worse.

Tony, bless him ,has just had a taste of it.....I hope he stays with it, because I think in a paradoxical way, he will become a better owner , as long has he steers clear of the fanciful comments of ambition for us....and continues good housekeeping.

We need to build shrewder, but for the moment, we need to avoid the firesale as best we can.....because Martin Samuel eloquently explains, they are all after our carcass.

There will be times to shout from the roof tops, but not now, top this in 5 years, top this in 3 years.....we all need to keep our own council, for a while.

Good decisions, get you out of this,( its rarely a quick fix.. unless you get lucky) but good decisions can equally become a habit, thats when we get back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

completely agree with all but one thing.  it's not the old method.  It's the smart method.  different clubs have tried it different ways, but those that build a team rather than buy one always come out better in the long run.  (ManShitty excepted)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

How can Doug Ellis look like a better owner every year since he has sold Villa? Its baffling we have had 2 billionaire owners both of which come in with good intentions and lots of big ideas- and yet we are on a seemingly endless downward spiral .  Just thought I say that to cheer everyone up.

He doesn't. Where we had longed for a new owner then we don't now. Lerner had a promising start but lost interest and pulled the plug on spending when we still could have done. Our present owner is being prevented from spending and is seeing our club's status in football fall but is having his hands tied behind his back by FFP and that frustration it is rumoured may lead to another change in ownership where few if any of us seek it. At least we're not Leeds or are we in danger of no longer being able to say that? :(

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, John said:

He doesn't. Where we had longed for a new owner then we don't now. Lerner had a promising start but lost interest and pulled the plug on spending when we still could have done. Our present owner is being prevented from spending and is seeing our club's status in football fall but is having his hands tied behind his back by FFP and that frustration it is rumoured may lead to another change in ownership where few if any of us seek it. At least we're not Leeds or are we in danger of no longer being able to say that? :(

My mate who is Leeds fan thinks they will finish above us.  He is excited about the new owners and the Biesla appointment.  

8 hours ago, TRO said:

We were painting the stands in the days of Pat Matthews....its been worse, much worse.

Tony, bless him ,has just had a taste of it.....I hope he stays with it, because I think in a paradoxical way, he will become a better owner , as long has he steers clear of the fanciful comments of ambition for us....and continues good housekeeping.

We need to build shrewder, but for the moment, we need to avoid the firesale as best we can.....because Martin Samuel eloquently explains, they are all after our carcass.

There will be times to shout from the roof tops, but not now, top this in 5 years, top this in 3 years.....we all need to keep our own council, for a while.

Good decisions, get you out of this,( its rarely a quick fix.. unless you get lucky) but good decisions can equally become a habit, thats when we get back.

Tro it’s a completely different era. It’s not just about  the best players it’s also about being run like a profit making business to succeed. We’re so in the red but in football you need to spend to be able to improve. We aren’t allowed to do that. It’s an almost impossible situation for the owner. 

Â