Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Well the one thing in Xia favour is he got experienced CEO in Wyness.

Other than that its a carbon copy - Lerner chased CL football with silly cash - Xia has done the same chasing PL football.

Not sure wyness is all that great - he’d been out of football for years when xia dug him up .

better than fox though without doubt although it would be hard to get worse 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

What do you think he should bring to the table? 

The nous to spot RDM wasn't right for us - and not to give him £60m to spend on players.

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the statement makes sense and tells us something about where we are. I think we've spent ten years with plans that don't stretch further than the end of the season, whether those plans have been "stay up this season", "go up this season" or (a while back now) "get into Europe this season". I think that's going to end, I think we're about to enter an era where the plan is just to get better and grow from a starting point that makes sense - where the plan is as much about 2025 as it is the week after next.

I think we'll see Grealish go, and I think we'll lose some of our older players, I think for now we'll invest small amounts in younger ones and try to develop them.

I don't think promotion next season is part of the plan, I think it's a near impossible dream. FFP relates to losses over a three year period and I think it's going to take us three years to get to a position where our losses don't stop us trying something. I think we'll put in a stopgap team of younger players to see us through that period; with maybe the hope that one or two will be better than that.

I don't think this means an end to Dr Xia's investing in the club - but I think it means an end to not recognising the difference between investing and spending. Mile Jedinak is a decent player, Glenn Whelan is too - but they're bad investments. 

I think we're in for a strange time, one where the balance of the club and our eye for a player will matter as much as star names or reaching playoffs. I think the structure of the club is sound, but new - we've rebuilt scouting, we've rebuilt our youth set up, we've rebuilt most everything - now those things will need to produce.

I think it's going to take a little while to improve our underlying health and it's not going to be easy - but given where we are, it's not the worst plan and it may be the only option. I don't think it needs to be as extreme as that sounds and I'm hopeful we can keep the ride reasonably smooth, but it's the ride I think we're on.

Agreed.

Key that the manager and DOF are the right people for  longer term plan.

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the statement makes sense and tells us something about where we are. I think we've spent ten years with plans that don't stretch further than the end of the season, whether those plans have been "stay up this season", "go up this season" or (a while back now) "get into Europe this season". I think that's going to end, I think we're about to enter an era where the plan is just to get better and grow from a starting point that makes sense - where the plan is as much about 2025 as it is the week after next.

I think we'll see Grealish go, and I think we'll lose some of our older players, I think for now we'll invest small amounts in younger ones and try to develop them.

I don't think promotion next season is part of the plan, I think it's a near impossible dream. FFP relates to losses over a three year period and I think it's going to take us three years to get to a position where our losses don't stop us trying something. I think we'll put in a stopgap team of younger players to see us through that period; with maybe the hope that one or two will be better than that.

I don't think this means an end to Dr Xia's investing in the club - but I think it means an end to not recognising the difference between investing and spending. Mile Jedinak is a decent player, Glenn Whelan is too - but they're bad investments. 

I think we're in for a strange time, one where the balance of the club and our eye for a player will matter as much as star names or reaching playoffs. I think the structure of the club is sound, but new - we've rebuilt scouting, we've rebuilt our youth set up, we've rebuilt most everything - now those things will need to produce.

I think it's going to take a little while to improve our underlying health and it's not going to be easy - but given where we are, it's not the worst plan and it may be the only option. I don't think it needs to be as extreme as that sounds and I'm hopeful we can keep the ride reasonably smooth, but it's the ride I think we're on.

I think we bumble along until Xia finds a buyer.  Recon buy and sell companies quite frequently - it would surprise me if Xia is here beyond the next couple of seasons at the outside.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

The tone of Xia's statement seems very different then when Wyness spoke about FFP to a fans group just a few months ago. That worries me slightly. 

Changes changes changes - that’s the key and I think they both mentioned it without saying exactly what they will look like. 

We all knew it would mean that a struggle would be upon us. I just hope that we had already started preparing accordingly before the final... 

14 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Time for Tony to buy another club overseas and buy all our shit off us for ridiculous transfer fees. Hurry up Dr Tony we're in a bit of a pickle here! 

The old football manager cheat

• Haha 2

if infrastructure and so on is outside of FFP we need to be hiding a few million in the costs to offset player purchases and wages.

Edited by S-Platt

6 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Only one way to read this. We are screwed, Xia has failed as an owner and we are now destined to spend years in the Championship or worse. 

Yep a totally shite and unnecessary appointment of RDM - Chuck the parachute money at players with no resale value - no strategy whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Impossible dream? I'd put my house on our budget/wage bill next season being higher than Burnleys, Bournemouths, Huddersfields, Brightons and Cardiffs was when they were promoted over the last handful of years.

I am not singling you out here Scotf and I don't mean to offend anyone but I just can't be having this defeatist, throwing the towel in nonsense before a ball has been kicked next season. It may take some creative thinking from Xia but I won't accept we can't go into next season with a competative squad capable of promotion.

There lies the problem expection. I appreciate your trying to be psoutive and I generally agree with a lot of your posts mark. However i can't see it I just cant. We are a complete mess. We have so many players out on loan then the ones who are sold are sold for peanuts. We have garbage like Richards milking the club dry. Shite like McCormack and tishbola again  no one wants.

Then you have the actual playing squad.  Whelan jedinak elphick all over 30. Adomah is now 30 and looks shit. Then we have kodjia who doesn't look the same player to me which is worrying. Then you have the great Scott Hogan who has managed less than  10 goals in 18 months.

The only bright spark for me is some of the young players.  Green davis and RMH. These are the future of out club. But they need help and I don't see how that will be possible when are absolutely broke. 

This current squad would struggle for top 10 in my view. Tough times ahead as much as it pains me to say it.

• Like 1

We have been in worst situations in the past and recovered from them.....we have tried to fasttrack ourselves out of the 10 year demise and the policy hasn't worked.

We will get back through good decisions, money will not save us even if we had it.

I think what other posters have said, an eye for a player must be the way forward and that means to do the job, that will take time, with modest funds....it can be done, but we need to see the evidence on the pitch, before we start busying ourselves with promotion. i do agree with Mark ,defeatism is not the tone to be adopting, but fanciful expection is an equal enemy.

I don't thinnk SB will be sacked, I think he will leave and say he did what he could.

• Like 1

Xia talks about making wide  changes, that’s all well and good as long as people take players off our hands. But I can’t see the likes of jedinak or Whelan going anywhere as no one will pay their wages. Therefore outside of those already leaving, will the changes be that much?

19 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Only one way to read this. We are screwed, Xia has failed as an owner and we are now destined to spend years in the Championship or worse. 

Well, we are not too dissimilar to Sunderland really....they are just a worse version.

Despite our valiant attempts.....I think Neil Warnock would have got us up.....but with his type of players.

I am not trying to belittle the fashion of the attempts to raise the ship....I just happen to think he has a better eye for the type of players we now need.

Its easy to say this after he has got promotion, but i just think he does the simple things right....and sets his team up to fight, much more then we did.

I said in an earlier post, we surrender initiative too easily....He would not be having that and I am surprised Steve Bruce did to be honest and that is the main reason why I think he will let  someone else have go.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â