Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

I also find it a little ironic,  but this is less of a point as well actually,  that we were able to prevent a player from moving clubs as it did not suit us financially but then are perfectly at liberty to criticise a player for not moving clubs as it did not suit him financially.

That's a very fair point. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, peterms said:

It's absolutely not an everyday business, and clubs collectively have foolishly put players in a different and daft position.

But clubs are not powerless, and neither are they absolved from either employment law, or the requirement to act reasonably as employers.  It shouldn't be beyond their wit to deal with situations, and if they fail to do so and resort to jibes on twitter, well, that's pathetic.

We fundamentally disagree that it's "pathetic" I think. It's far from ideal, there are perhaps other actions that could have been taken, but it's certainly not a cause for some of the dramatic hyperbole seen in this thread. 

Gabby will never play for this football club again. Everything else around that is almost moot. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I get the hypocrisy... But what does this club owe gabby? Absolutely nothing. His lack of professionalism, terrible attitude, terrible performances mean that any kind of treatment he gets is fully deserved. He's picking up his good wage and its quite clear he doesn't give a shit about us fans or the club so absolutely **** him and treat him badly as he treated us badly.

I couldn't disagree more. Aston Villa is a huge club with a reputation. Just because a player disrespects the fans and the club does not mean we should retaliate in kind, it is below us. Disapproving of and punishing his behaviour is one thing, but we have to have some class while dealing with situations like this.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I get the hypocrisy... But what does this club owe gabby? Absolutely nothing. His lack of professionalism, terrible attitude, terrible performances mean that any kind of treatment he gets is fully deserved. He's picking up his good wage and its quite clear he doesn't give a shit about us fans or the club so absolutely **** him and treat him badly as he treated us badly.

I fundamentally disagree with the thrust of this for a number of reasons.

Agbonlahor may very well have acted in the way you mention,  in addition the vast majority of those posting on here at least do not want him at the club and would agree he is stealing a living currently.  But this is not tit for tat.  Aston Villa football club is his employer,  we owe him a duty of care to act responsibly, professionallly and with respect in our dealings with hi.  Even is he does not.  The club has to be above that for the sake of him,  ALL current employees , and any potential future employees.  To resort to the level you have described does the football club no favours at all in my opinion.  Two wrongs do not make a single right

• Like 4

Seeing the be a man comment I cant get this out of my head and wonder if another singing competition for the owner will be forthcoming...

I'm outta love
Set me free
And let me out this misery
Just show me the way to get my life again
'Cause you can't handle me
(I said) I'm outta love
Can't you see
Baby that you gotta set me free
I'm outta love
Yeah
Said how many times
Have I tried to turn this love arond?
But every time
You just let me down
Come on be a man about it
You'll survive
True that you can work it out all right
Tell me, yesterday
Did you know?
I'd be the one to let you go?
And you know

It just wouldn't be VT unless a select group of posters found something, no mater how small and petty, to get their knickers in a twist over.

I do genuinely believe that some people revel in negativity, it's sad really.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

I fundamentally disagree with the thrust of this for a number of reasons.

Agbonlahor may very well have acted in the way you mention,  in addition the vast majority of those posting on here at least do not want him at the club and would agree he is stealing a living currently.  But this is not tit for tat.  Aston Villa football club is his employer,  we owe him a duty of care to act responsibly, professionallly and with respect in our dealings with hi.  Even is he does not.  The club has to be above that for the sake of him,  ALL current employees , and any potential future employees.  To resort to the level you have described does the football club no favours at all in my opinion.  Two wrongs do not make a single right

Yes, and of course you are morally right. And of course the club has to be professional in the way it responds to gabby. I just hate his awful attitude and probably went over the top. We all would love to be in his position and he's taken it for granted, I just can't get my head round that and want him punished for it.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

I also find it a little ironic,  but this is less of a point as well actually,  that we were able to prevent a player from moving clubs as it did not suit us financially but then are perfectly at liberty to criticise a player for not moving clubs as it did not suit him financially.

No

In the case of Bennett, he was free to move but chose not to because it would have meant a drop in wages.  The criticism is that it was suggested that we were holding back his career.  He held his own career back by placing money before his career.  No complaint with that but don't criticise Villa for refusing to subsidise his career away from VP.  Nobody subsidises the players we sign.

Regarding players who chose to rot in the background and pick up their money (as did N'Zogbia last year).  These people leave themselves open to criticism.

• Like 2

Professional it ain't, but refreshing it is. But players do tweet about their clubs/owners too, like Berahino.  I agree with the sentiment but perhaps it should have been a official statement. I can't work out whether he's super enthusiastic, loving the limelight a little too much, or a combination of both.

However it may take the pressure of AVFC, RDM, his team and the players, as all attention is diverted to Xia. Although, tweet after a loss, stating we still need a big talk, is heaping it back on. Who knows, I suppose only time will tell how negative or positive it will be, when we run into a rough patch. Although can't say we didn't see the warning signs if it all goes pear shaped.

In other news...Anyone see Xia's tweet to the players?

That Any Given Sunday Al Pacino speech, deffo read villa talk last season 

:crylaugh:

Ultimately we (Lambert/Tom Fox/whoever else had a say in it) were stupid enough to offer him a 4-year deal on wages way above what he was worth a couple of years back, so we are paying the price, literally for that. Same as with Alan Hutton but to a lesser extent, big wages he'll be on for a backup RB in the 2nd tier.

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don't think it is moot. This time it applies to Gabby, next time it could be another player, or at least that's what other players will be assuming. 

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by starting a public Twitter spat with one of your employees and a lot of professional credibility to be lost. Stay professional and keep that rubbish in house. 

It seems like the Twitter fan attention he is receiving has clouded the owners professional judgement. 

I would say that Dr T has gained more credibility this transfer window with his tweets than you would've imagined. I'll take the good with the bad and in my mind this isn't bad.

In some ways the last four or five years we have lambasted managers for not telling the truth or critizing the team following another inept performance yet here Dr T has, maybe more than you would like, has critized a player.

I'm enjoying him, this was fine by me, it's the way of the modern world with social media and more honest reporting, more open discussion and more internet keyboard warriors.

Our club has been taken for a ride for too long, too many players doing nothing and no comments made. Performance after performance we were woeful and these guys getting obscene amounts, partying during the season and not being fit and yet us the fans still turning up yet not being able to afford it.  About time somebody stood up for us. You may say it's not right, not professional or anything else but it's the first bit of truth we've heard for a while and who knows this may embarrass Gabby enough to do something about it although I fear it's too late for any turnaround.

"Free speech for Dr T"

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don't think it is moot. This time it applies to Gabby, next time it could be another player, or at least that's what other players will be assuming. 

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by starting a public Twitter spat with one of your employees and a lot of professional credibility to be lost. Stay professional and keep that rubbish in house. 

It seems like the Twitter fan attention he is receiving has clouded the owners professional judgement. 

But equally, any other player would also recognise that they would have to disgrace themselves, the club and the fans to end up in a situation even remotely comparable to Gabby's.

Do people really have such short memories, this man was club captain at a time when we needed that function the most, he put two fingers up to everyone involved with Aston Villa when he couldn't even maintain a level of fitness suitable for consideration for selection - the most basic thing a contracted football player should do.

Dr X has been open and honest (as far as I can tell) with us fans on all of our transfer dealings all summer, both incoming and outgoing so I don't feel that he has singled gabby out in that respect, what he has done is single him out because instead of choosing to earn a living he's decided to sit on his arse and scrounge one instead. It's funny really, I'll wager a bet that some of the people calling this out as "poor form" etc are quite happy to see benefit scroungers outed, chastised and prosecuted but it's the same kind of principle basically, just more personal to us.

I welcome a shift in knowledge of internal activity within the club, for as long as I remember we've had to rely on rumour and gossip, now we get it straight from the horses mouth. Fully appreciate it will irk some people but then you cannot please all the people all the time, particularly around here it feels.

• Like 1

Personally I have no problem with him saying it, it's refreshing and it is good to know the club think the same as the fans and his tweets in general have helped repair a bit be between fans and the club.

That said it is a little unprofessional and probably shouldn't have said it in public. Hypothetically comparing it to everyday employment, it would be quite easy to build a case to dismiss Gabby. While the incidents earlier in the year might not have been enough for gross misconduct, it could have been the start of building a case for dismissal, and continuing with setting him targets, to meet or fail with regards fitness, weight and all round responsibilities as a professional footballer. Whether this is even possible in the business of football I have no idea but things like the Docs Tweet wouldn't do any favours with regards to a dismissal, I imagine a Lawyer in a tribunal would be all over it.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But equally, any other player would also recognise that they would have to disgrace themselves, the club and the fans to end up in a situation even remotely comparable to Gabby's.

Do people really have such short memories, this man was club captain at a time when we needed that function the most, he put two fingers up to everyone involved with Aston Villa when he couldn't even maintain a level of fitness suitable for consideration for selection - the most basic thing a contracted football player should do.

Dr X has been open and honest (as far as I can tell) with us fans on all of our transfer dealings all summer, both incoming and outgoing so I don't feel that he has singled gabby out in that respect, what he has done is single him out because instead of choosing to earn a living he's decided to sit on his arse and scrounge one instead. It's funny really, I'll wager a bet that some of the people calling this out as "poor form" etc are quite happy to see benefit scroungers outed, chastised and prosecuted but it's the same kind of principle basically, just more personal to us.

I welcome a shift in knowledge of internal activity within the club, for as long as I remember we've had to rely on rumour and gossip, now we get it straight from the horses mouth. Fully appreciate it will irk some people but then you cannot please all the people all the time, particularly around here it feels.

Lets face it, he could have done all of that in person with Gabby and/or the rest of the squad behind closed doors. The reason he has done it in public on Twitter is because he likes the attention. 

However, other than some of the more ill advised tweets I am very happy with the way the club has been run so far.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, terrytini said:

If the Club wanted to have their say over Gabby  - and do more than traditional, be more open, be more assertive - they could have done so without this.

They could have said  "The Club has informed Agbonlahor that (his fitness and disciplinary record or whatever they want to say ) are below the standards required (or, 'do not meet the requirements of the Club' ) and he was advised that he was not part of the managers plans.  Various alternatives have been considered by the Club but the player has not taken up any of the opportunities presented "

Or all sorts of variations.  They could have still been 'different, modern, open ' etc.

Tony uses twitter - as do many - in the same way as if he is talking to his mates.  Seemed all along not ideal and this (IMO) shows why not.

A musical Bon Voyage card with the Holte end singing "You're shit, and you know you are", would suffice I think.

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Lets face it, he could have done all of that in person with Gabby and/or the rest of the squad behind closed doors. The reason he has done it in public on Twitter is because he likes the attention. 

However, other than some of the more ill advised tweets I am very happy with the way the club has been run so far.

Or, maybe he wanted the fans to know that we tried to move him on but he refused to consider it, why shouldn't we get to know that?

You assume it's because he wants the attention, that doesn't make it so, unless you're privy to his inner thoughts?

There's a lot of change occurring at Villa and if my experience of change tells me anything it's that there will always be resistance in some quarters.

• Like 1

Â