Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

if im honest I still don't see what the docs masterplan is, I don't fully understand how we benefit him, be it expanding his existing business west or because of the Chinese governments directives will he be getting some golden hand shakes in the east

the openness with fans stuff I see but business model and reasons for buying a football club I don't 

Some discussion here of the various factors that are prompting Chinese investment in football clubs, both home and abroad.

...The peculiarities of running a business in China means that such companies and their owners are likely to benefit from them contributing to the national football effort. One might call this corporate or state-level guanxi. Investor intentions, though, are not always political or indirectly commercial, as there are likely to be other motives too for their sudden engagement in football.

One reason is that, given China’s goal to create a domestic sports economy worth $850 billion by 2025, football is fast becoming a vital component of an emerging industrial sector. However, at the same time, the financial value of sports properties in China is booming, something that concerns investors. As such, what has been termed by some observers as ‘hot money’ is being invested offshore to mitigate risk in the event of the Chinese sports market over-heating...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Richard said:

I also find it a little ironic,  but this is less of a point as well actually,  that we were able to prevent a player from moving clubs as it did not suit us financially but then are perfectly at liberty to criticise a player for not moving clubs as it did not suit him financially.

Of course...

The good of the club far, far surpasses the petty wants and needs of a player who, frankly, earns far too much for his job anyway...
Additionally, the player in question doesn't even DO his bloody job and hasn't for the past few years!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Oh come on man, you're on the wind up there surely?

It's a bit of fun for christ sake! It's a scene from a popular sporting movie, it's Al **** Pacino. It's 4 minutes long. He's not taken them on a team building weekend in the Cotswolds. 

I'm not having that you're being serious there. 

Nope,  I'm serious Dave.  I realise it wont be a widely held opinion but I just think it's wrong.  Maybe I'm too old fashioned who knows.  Just for be we are a club trying to refocus and rebuild to be honest after being run like a joke for years we are/were a mess.  Tweets like this,  and I referred to them in my long post a few pages back, just have the potential to bit booth him and the club on the arse and be a distraction we could well do without.

Like I say I realise it wont be a widely held view point but it is mine. :)

6 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Of course...

The good of the club far, far surpasses the petty wants and needs of a player who, frankly, earns far too much for his job anyway...
Additionally, the player in question doesn't even DO his bloody job and hasn't for the past few years!

Not sure you're clear on the point I was trying to make.  for the avoidance of doubt I think Agbonlahor is a waste of oxygen and actually will do more harm than good for this club.  My point is about the way the club should act as employer and consistent behaviour without double standards.  The trick is to distinguish between the subject matter,  in this case Agbonlahor,  and the way in which that subject matter has been dealt with.  No disagreement on his capability of doing the job,  I just think the club should be above tit for tat.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Richard said:

Yep up for fighting the script writer as it's corny ! 

if you think its corny and false ....it may be because its a film.

If you think that similar scenes never happened in british football you are kidding yourself.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

if you think its corny and false ....it may be because its a film.

If you think that similar scenes never happened in british football you are kidding yourself.

I know.  And I guess I am trying to kid myself as to be honest I'd find it cringeworthy.  I like to think that motivation techniques are a bit more advanced and sophisticated than that as you have said.  It is something I am not comfortable with.  Maybe i'm a snob!

• Like 1

Dr Tone is more than aware of what we have gone through with Lerner and is attempting to allay fears of the same.

I don't believe he will always be like this, for one, these players won't act like primma donna's for him to have to act likes this.

He is trying to be transparent with us and letting us know the passive rubbish is over....I welcome that.

Dr Tony Xia's involvement with us is in its infancy and he is trying to tell us all the things we had concerns about in terms of lack of discipline at B6 is being addressed and to do that there is no better way than direct involvement and transparency.....He is making his mark and laying down the foundations of the new culture.

"Necessity is the mother of invention" He will Imo eventually slip in to the traits of a conventional owner, when he thinks the culture has been changed to his liking.

He is setting the standards and Leading from the front......at the moment that may seem alien to us in light of the recent demise we have hopefully left behind.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

He will Imo eventually slip in to the traits of a conventional owner, when he thinks the culture has been changed to his liking.

How do you know?  I realise you have said your opinion,  but based on what? For me I can only comment on what I have seen so far and there have been numerous examples of ,  shall we say, "Non-conventional" tweets. Some so non=conventional he has had to delete them. For me that exposes a character trait

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

I know.  And I guess I am trying to kid myself as to be honest I'd find it cringeworthy.  I like to think that motivation techniques are a bit more advanced and sophisticated than that as you have said.  It is something I am not comfortable with.  Maybe i'm a snob!

Richard

In my life, I had a spell of a couple of years where I was close to Andy Gray.....I seen from close quarters the inner workings of a player/ man that was a winner.

I know today, Andy is perhaps not amongst the most favoured of ex Villa players due to many events.

but we are talking passion on the pitch and a will to win and a total belief in his ability to effect damage on the opposition on behalf of Aston Villa....That was very very real.

Ron Saunders too was a single minded individual who had no interest or cotter with players who didn't do the business for him....There was an inner circle in those days and the way you got in to it was....Perform.....It was that ruthless 

Sadly passive pussyfooting wins nothing and thats where we have been for the lady 6 years......It has to change and it comes from the TOP.....Tony knows that.

Ron Saunders could be the way he was, because he knew the culture was there to support it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dr Tony Xia's involvement with us is in its infancy and he is trying to tell us all the things we had concerns about in terms of lack of discipline at B6 is being addressed and to do that there is no better way than direct involvement and transparency.....He is making his mark and laying down the foundations of the new culture.

"Necessity is the mother of invention" He will Imo eventually slip in to the traits of a conventional owner, when he thinks the culture has been changed....

I hope this is exactly what he's doing. He's clearly an incredibly intelligent bloke (from those Chinese articles) so there's a reasonable chance that your explanation is the reason behind his approach.

There's a risk it isn't and that he's a bit more of an extovert, though the TV interview with him he didn't come across that way. SO yeah, I'll go with your version TRO. 

I have no problem with any you have said there.  I would also atest to what you said about Ron,  who I knew well for a time. However,  what you have put is about players,  managers etc.  What you've said about Ron could not have been said about the Bendalls who basically let Ron get on with it.  This is how it should be IMO especially with an owner who will be a few thousand miles away

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

How do you know?  I realise you have said your opinion,  but based on what? For me I can only comment on what I have seen so far and there have been numerous examples of ,  shall we say, "Non-conventional" tweets. Some so non=conventional he has had to delete them. For me that exposes a character trait

No, for me it explains the character of a football club that needs to massively change.

"The flowers are nearly dead with lack of water, when they have been soaked and coming back to life, the steady application of a watering can will suffice"

1 minute ago, Gary Thomas said:

I really hope his doesn't. 

@TRO for me the post I have quoted here is another issue. ( I know you didnt make it but I'll use it in our current debate).  I have referenced the need for better comms,  I have also said I realise why some fans like his tweets as it exposes an insight into the previous secret world of the club and is manna to the need for that.  It is a supply.  The issue is how can he stop it now? The genie is out of the bottle right now not sure he can or would want to put it back in the bottle.  The reaction to that from a fanbase you suggest he is trying to re-engage with,  would be negative and counter productive

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

I have no problem with any you have said there.  I would also atest to what you said about Ron,  who I knew well for a time. However,  what you have put is about players,  managers etc.  What you've said about Ron could not have been said about the Bendalls who basically let Ron get on with it.  This is how it should be IMO especially with an owner who will be a few thousand miles away

Rich,

When the team is winning and it is clear sensible discipline around the club has returned and all his subordinates are working within the framework of his management philosophy  he will move on to other projects and his involvement will be passive.

He will then say to people ....Oh Aston Villa , yeah it was a tough old time initially, but I have got good people in key positions and " It runs itself now" colloquially speaking.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Rich,

When the team is winning and it is clear sensible discipline around the club has returned and all his subordinates are working within the framework of his management philosophy  he will move on to other projects and his involvement will be passive.

He will then say to people ....Oh Aston Villa , yeah it was a tough old time initially, but I have got good people in key positions and " It runs itself now" colloquially speaking.

Neither of us know for sure. I'm a bit concerned about his tweets and involvement and I'm not sure how he could stop them but hey ho it's another wait and see

Of course none of us know for sure. Dr Tone has invested a lot on money, he does not strike me as a character that will jeopardise all that for poor individual performance.....and that includes himself. I think he is too intelligent for that.

We all have different powers of perception and how we interpret things its healthy for us all to look at the picture in a different way.....None of us is right its just our opinions and yes we do reserve the right too.....to change them at our will.

Its healthy to constructively disagree.....especially when explanations for our thoughts are given

Ps Those tweets Richard illustrate decisiveness and the transparency to display he doesn't have to hide behind his staff...I think that is reassuring to be honest.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Richard said:

The Bendalls let him get on with it.....because the culture was already there and Ron just emulated it.Ron Saunders just strutted his stuff within that framework.

my comment about " necessity is the mother of invention"

Tony has a massive culture change to deal with,Ron Bendall didn't.....He took over from Doug who for all his faults did have discipline within the organisation.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Nope,  I'm serious Dave.  I realise it wont be a widely held opinion but I just think it's wrong.  Maybe I'm too old fashioned who knows.  Just for be we are a club trying to refocus and rebuild to be honest after being run like a joke for years we are/were a mess.  Tweets like this,  and I referred to them in my long post a few pages back, just have the potential to bit booth him and the club on the arse and be a distraction we could well do without.

Like I say I realise it wont be a widely held view point but it is mine. :)

In what possible way is that a distraction?

It won't be widely held because it's about the most bonkers thing you've ever posted. 

Â