Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

6 hours ago, snowychap said:

I think that's poor form and unnecessary.

I think it is absolutely necessary

*edit* just caught up with the rest of the thread. I have no issue with Xia calling out a player like this. Gabby (and others) need to know that the shit that has gone on over the last few years is over now. They either pull their weight for the club or they ship out. If that message needs to be sent publicly until our thickest player(s) cottons on, then so be it. 

There is only one Billy Big Bollox at the club now. His name is Dr Tony Xia.

There is a world of difference contractually between players and staff - players are pretty much untouchable, any normal member of staff who was unable to fulfil their duties, or frankly didn't give a shit would be out on their ear (please don't tell me that Gabby losing the flab and buying an excersize bike means he suddenly gives a shit) - public shaming may be the only way.

Now, if Xia had come out and said John in the upper Holte burger shop was a clearing in the woods then that would be a very different thing. 

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 3

Glad this has come out like this, gabby needs a smack down to earth.  He sneakily tries to pull a bluff that he's a fan whilst not even putting in just an ounce of effort.

He's disrespectful to the real fans who would do everything in their power to do the best they can for the club.

Give him he'll Tony.

7 hours ago, snowychap said:

I think that's poor form and unnecessary.

Cant disagree more, gabby has had opportunities to resurrect his career but he is happy not to play and get a  fat pay check. Shows what he is really interested in

• Like 1

6 hours ago, snowychap said:

Fair enough.

My criticism of the comments that he has made is that an employer should not be taking to social media/a public forum to make such derogatory comments about one of their employees..

There are many other discussions to be had about corporate policy, sense of direction with regard to future recruitment, & so on but that's not what I've criticized. I've simply said that I think the comment that he made was poor form.

Get 'upset' about that as much as you want. Run with whatever theory you may wish. I have criticized him for the comment that he made (people disagree - that's fine) and I'd have criticized Di Matteo for saying the same thing and the previous managers and owners, too.

Sorry to jump in again, but you still didn't answer his question. 

Why is it poor form?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

There is a world of difference contractually between players and staff - players are pretty much untouchable, any normal member of staff who was unable to fulfil their duties, or frankly didn't give a shit would be out on their ear (please don't tell me that Gabby losing the flab and buying an exercise bike means he suddenly gives a shit) - public shaming may be the only way.

Now, if Xia had come out and said John in the upper Holte burger shop was a clearing in the woods then that would be a very different thing. 

Thanks for actually addressing the point.  So many comments miss it entirely, by going on about what an arse Gabby is (yes, he may well be, and there's a whole thread for that, but the point here is whether it is appropriate for the head of an organisation to tweet stuff like this).

So you say (I paraphrase) that while it is clearly inappropriate in most cases for the head of an organisation to slag off staff publicly, it's different for players (at a certain level, I guess), players are untouchable and public shaming is the only way to deal with them.

Well it's clearly not the only way to deal with them.  If their conduct is unacceptable you can fine them or move them on.  Our favourite song is about someone who that happened to, by the way.  If they won't move on, you can cancel the contract and pay them out (this site is replete with "it's not my money, I don't care how much he spends").  Don't like the terms of the contract?  Well as the employer, that's down to you, and clubs generally have done the whole game a massive disservice by agreeing stupid contracts over decades now.  If a player does something bad enough, make a case that they have terminated their own contract.  It's been done before.  But if someone just won't agree to a move you want, then you either have to find some other use for them, or else negotiate an acceptable outcome.

So is the argument that players get so much money that it's all right to treat them in ways you wouldn't treat other staff?  I can see that from the fans' perspective.  There is something different between shouting at a player and shouting at a steward or a catering assistant.  But from the employer, the head of the club?  I don't see it.  It is unnecessary, undignified, out of place, and not what we all expect or accept in an employer-employee relationship.

I really suspect that most people defending this are just imagining what they would like to say to Gabby, and taking pleasure that someone has done it for them.  But that's really not the point.  Which is not to say that players are above criticism.  If someone was dropped for unfitness or misconduct, then say so, and if it embarrasses them but is true and a valid reason for dropping them, too bad.  But this stuff about being a man is just puerile shite, in my view.

Oh - and wouldn't being a "man" involve standing up for yourself, rather than bending over and taking it because it suits the boss?  Just a thought.

• Like 2

because this stuff is normally kept in house as it may upset other players. Players stick together and some may think "what if Tony tweets bad stuff about me now?" 

Not that I disagree with the tweet, I love it. Gabby and all the players need to know their is a new sheriff in town!

Edited by jimcohen

If there was any justice in the world, Tony should have him strung up and publicly floured/egged by any willing Villa fans with Timmy Mallet constantly boshing him over the head.

Whole thing streamed lived on social media.

8 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

well said that man. What an idiot. My child is sad over his favourite player leaving therefore I'm gonna whinge at the owner to try and weasel some sort of freebie. Or he seriously thinks Xia is there to parent his children for him. DrX Supernanny starting on ITV4 soon is it?

This excitement at all costs, with complete disregard for the elements that win ,matches in some way has influenced the poor signings of the past.

It amazes me how some can't see it.

Albion too are a club that have been held back by an obsession with pretty open football and have circumnavigated " steel & resilience" hence their inability to progress.

18 minutes ago, jimcohen said:

because this stuff is normally kept in house as it may upset other players. Players stick together and some may think "what if Tony tweets bad stuff about me now?" 

Not that I disagree with the tweet, I love it. Gabby and all the players need to know their is a new sheriff in town!

Got a whole new room of players in that won't have already made the "clique" and so can't be influenced by these factors.

Now is a good time, and you might be suprised the players might quite agree with Xia when they see the attitude and disregard being shown by Gabby.  I know if I'm pulled into a new team, and I see a bunch of wasters who're letting the collective effort down I immediately don't subscribe to their hidden agendas.

What I have noticed is that it seems Tony tends to sound off about players only when they've acted unprofessionaly or disrespectfully. 

Reading between the lines here, I think Gabby has been told he has no future at the club and needs to find somewhere else. He had offers, but turned them down. We're not going to know why he turned them down, but Tony seems to think it was for less than legitimate reasons, hence Gabby is acting unprofessionaly and disrespecting the club, hence Tony's tweets.

Im sure if the players conduct their business properly, then Tony will have no need to mention them, either in private or in public. Im also sure they'll work that out soon enough.

Richard hit the nail on the head, I basically find it hilarious that even people who were going nuts at Xia for almost anything he tweeted (Me never being one of them) all of a sudden have a convenient shift in attitude. Lol

As I have said, no one knows the facts, players in these situations turn down moves all the time.

Schweinsteiger is in the same situation. Word removed?

A. Doesn't want to play for another club.

B. Doesn't want to play for Reading.

C. Wants to try against all odds to get another chance to play at his boyhood club. ( whether it might seem deluded to fans whi hate him and know nothing of the inside situation or not)

D. That failing, has a family and financial future to think about, may as well get as much money as he can get. Not unheard of in the industry, or in any other.

No sod all that, he is a thick, lazy word removed with no brains, oh and is OBESE. Lol

Some of the tripe people come out with when they just don't like someone. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â