Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 hour ago, Richard said:

it is disappointing the much vaunted TD has not yet arrived ,

He starts this week (Thursday), I think.. Which reminds me - one aspect you've not discussed is where you've said the three main roles of the owner are "Support to the manager, Support to improving robust club finances and Fan liaison". Personally I'd add in "appointing the manager, the board and other senior roles/advisors"

On that aspect, I think the answer is slightly mixed. Samuelson, not ideal possibly. The others - so far all good.

Also, though he's taken it on himself to communicate with us, I think he's gone way further than meeting the minimum I'd ask for him to do - i.e. I don't actually see it as a significant part of the job of an owner. He's chosen to work outside the "normal way we do things in these parts" 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I think direct contact with an owner and for fans to feel an owner is not distant can be a huge positive,  especially in generating a “we are all in this together” team atmosphere.  I just think some of the things are very unwise and could be more harm than good. They may even come with good intentions,  like quotes that he finds inspirational,  but I’m afraid that they come with a scrutiny that is unwelcome. Things like raising expectations to a level that cannot be achieved as well.  Advice here is under promise and over deliver.  Not the other way around.

As you say, then - it's been a big positive for most people to date. I'm less concerned than you that it's unconventional and unwise and harmful, potentially. The way I look at it, is whatever scrutiny there will be is basically of a rich bloke talking about some sports club - it's not actually important at all in the big scheme of things. But it's interesting to the devoted and it's informative to an extent. It's probably quite wise, because an owner from a country not always known for openness maybe need to demonstrate to our different culture that he's friendly. So far so good. I don't think he's going to let anyone down by continuing to tweet. Ultimately the club needs to deliver. The talking is a pleasant diversion, really. Also supporters thrive on hope, and it's something that's been lacking for a long time, so fostering these strange feelings, for fans and players is important right now.

Anyway, good post.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Richard said:

Not too negative for you ? ;-)

Nope :) You said you'd wait and you did. Now to get this window closed and put the plan into proper action. For the first time in a long time I think the timing of an international break couldn't have been better for us. 

• Like 1

@Richard good and well reasoned arguments there.  I personally think that there is also an objective around improving the future of the club (both on and off the field) whilst maintaining the history and integrity / culture of the place.  That's not saying that we can't look at doing new things or other things differently - but they should be "in keeping" with our history.  So for me things like the innovation of starting a football academy are a perfect example of this - something new, something different but in a way something very Villa.

I am pretty sure that Xia has said numerous times that the TD has been "appointed" but that he is officially contracted to his previous club until the end of August - so I fully expect them to be announced on September 1st.  I may have missed an update on that so apologies if that is incorrect.

The main point as ever is that a great owner isn't made in 8 weeks - I (and I'm sure many others) thought for a long time that Lerner was going to be the best owner in the league and just look how that turned out.  I'm trying not to get too excited - but Xia's enthusiasm is hard to ignore and I hope that he has appointed the right people to take the club to where he wants it to go.  If we don't get there I don't think it will be through a lack of desire but I am slightly concerned about what happens if things don't go according to plan - (i) will Xia take more matters into his own hands - you don't get to where he is without having some self-confidence and ruthlessness (so how will he deal with "failure") and (ii) will he get bored if the plan slips and looks unattainable.  I'm hoping that things will really turn around now and that we never have to worry about these "concerns".  I think I'd go for a "B" at present - not so much in relation to anything that he hasn't done right but more than I think if we'd stayed in the Premiership last season I think we'd be seeing something "bigger" from him.  I just hope that this Plan gets us to the point where we can seriously start thinking about Plan A (for what it is worth I think we are on Plan E - not that four other plans have failed but this is the first step on a journey - let's hope that it is a journey that leads to where we want to be and that we haven't just turned down a very expensive cul-de-sac!!!).  Bravo sir!

Good post that @Richard 

personally it's an overall 'A' on performance so far. He's backed the manager to the absolute hilt IMO. As I said in reply to @blandy, this is shaping up to be our best window ever as far as I'm concerned. First time I've seen us sign a number of players, all of a quality and type we need. 

I have a different view on the Twitter comms and hope they continue, I like the break from the norm in this area. 

My concerns remain the lack of knowledge on him and his business', plus the people involved in the purchase of the club. Not sure what he can do about that to be honest, other than publish his personal finances and that is not something we should expect him to do. He's distanced himself from the individuals causing concern too, so all we can do is give him time and see how it pans out. He's given me some hope and excitement back. long may it continue. UTV. 

Â